Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

WHAT DO I NEED?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WHAT DO I NEED?

what exactly do i need to aquire 450bhp in my 2wd saph cos?
a list of parts( pistons, cams, etc) , preferably with manufacturers names (mahle, kent, etc) and rough prices would be very helpful. bearing in mind im going to be building the engine myself so labour costs aint important.
all advice would be very appreciated

dave
Old 12-02-2004, 11:38 PM
PJay
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offence intended but if you don't know what parts you need to put in the engine to make it do what you want, are you gonna have the know how to measure and check that all the clearances are within tolerance as this is criticle once you get to this level of power

PJay
Old 12-02-2004, 11:47 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hve to agree with PJ on that, upto about 380bhp you can get away with most yourself but over the 400bhp mark you got little room for error, spec if you havnt done that sort of thing before. Plus you would have to have 100% faith in the machine shop your using as within reason most should know what their doing but trust they dont!!! As some ppl have found out on here with no names mentioned even 'supposed' tuning companys have fucked up royally when it came to building a high bhp engine, and if it doenst die when in their hands you could end up footing the bill.

Plus theres the fact of what U want out of the engine?!?! Using an RS500 set up you can get 450-500 easy which uses standard pistons etc just needs the right manifolds T4 and mapping etc, where as a low comp 450bhp rebuild has alot of variables, you could use a t4 for balls out power or a t34 for drivability but wont have the top end pull the t4 does. Then for cams again comes into how u want it, bd10s 14s etc etc.

So to ask what parts u need is a bit schetchy without knowing how you want it
Old 13-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Anonymous
Banned

well i figure if i can reliably put together 500bhp merc V6 & V8 truck engines at work how different can it be. just wondered what i would need. if anybody could tell me the parts i'll need it would be greatly appreciated
Old 13-02-2004, 08:58 AM
PJay
Virgin

Your attitude stinks really but anyway,

7.2:1 compression COSWORTH pistons
balanced crank, flywheel, rods.
Ported and polished head
cams of your choice
t38 or t4
large wallet for when it goes bang

Hope this helps

PJay
Old 13-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Btw, and this is not a dig at your mechanical skills cos after killing 2 engines i cant comment but im assuming those engines u build at work are designed for that power and not had to have modifications to them and aftermarket parts/work to get them to the desirered power level?!?! SO basically is the equivilent of rebuilding a standard cossie engine not modded which most mechanically minded ppl can do Oh and Ford and reliable dont go hand in hand
Old 13-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Anonymous
Banned

don't know why you guy's are given DaveRS so much attitude. Its his money and his engine, if he's got the balls to try let him, you never know, he may some natural skill and pull it off big style,

Big up for the guts to try
Old 13-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

How are we giving him attitue?! were just stating facts that just cos someone can build and engine to a set spec doesnt mean they can build a big bhp cossie engine, especially if their not yet sure how exactly THEY want it. At th eend of the day bar mapping etc ive done all my work myself, managing to melt 1 piston and bend a couple valves, but its all a learning curve. But as we have said if you dont know urself what u wanna do with it/end result theres no point in askin us to say what to put in it. You could build 5 450bhp engines all with completely differnt specs/internals and will handle/respond/drive completely different. Point being decide how you want the car, which is best to talk to a proper tuner about to get it how u want it first
Old 13-02-2004, 11:20 PM
PJay
Virgin

You could build 5 450bhp engines all with completely differnt specs/internals and will handle/respond/drive completely different

We wern't having a dig but how can you build an engine when you don't know how it works?
Old 13-02-2004, 11:57 PM
Anonymous
Banned

sorry. i dont mean to sound so ignorant. i admit, the engines i build at work are to a set specification and no, i hadnt thought of it that way. ive built a few rs turbo engines for friends and although i no its very different, i just thought i could carry some of that knowledge over to my own engine. the engines i have built for friends have come with the parts they wanted me to fit. i just wondered if the parts i would need for a drivable 450bhp car would be a lot different. i no that building a 450bhp cossie engine is going to be a hell of a lot different to a 200bhp CVH but i was just looking for a few helpful tips. sorry for sounding like such a twat to everyone. i like to get on with everyone and just had a bad day yesterday which is why i was so sharp with u all. i apologise now and didnt mean to take it out on u all. thanx for backing me ziggy. sorry for bein a twat to u PJay

thanx all

dave
Old 14-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Sorry, i didn't mean to imply that yourself, Pjay and Toe Knee were dicks or anything. I have much love for Pjay, you'r saving me money on that quickshift, I just didn't like the way your were wording your responses, "Your attitude stinks really but anyway", if that had been a response to one of my posts it would have made me feel imbarrassed as any one reading this would've thought i was a right twat.

I didn't mean to sound so severe. My apologies.
Old 14-02-2004, 05:27 PM
PJay
Virgin

DaveRS PM me you number and ill talk through some options with you on monday