Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 30-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Cosmo
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine removal

Wondering if anyone can help, am looking at taking the engine out of my sapph cosworth this weekend, i have removed engines from RS Turbo's etc but never a cosworth, have got all the tools and am very handy with a spanner, just wondering if anyone has got a rough step by step guide, i want to leave the gearbox in the car also.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!
Old 30-05-2008, 12:19 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

2wd or 4x4?
Old 30-05-2008, 04:27 PM
fatmike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Its not to bad mate, people have different routes. I personally like to get as much shit out of the way as possible first (inlet manifold, turbo and exhaust manifold) the more room the better, and it saves from damaging anything when your craning it up, take all your rad and cooler out the way, disconnect the relivant pipes and loom. You'll have to drop your driveshafts out the sump, then its pretty much just a case of unbolting the necesarry parts.(gearbox etc) Undo the mounts, yank the fucker off of the gearbox and crane it out. If you have done rs turbo lumps before will be a breeze.

Taking things out is always the easy part, but its puting them back in which is harder
Old 30-05-2008, 06:05 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a 2wd and you know your way around it then it can be had out in under half an hour....they really are easy. As said above, if you've done a RST then a cossie will be a breeze My tip to you would be to remove the bonnet...it gives you more room to work, no bonnet prop in your way, more lifting height for crane and best bit....much more light on the subject. Another tip would be cover your slam panel to save it getting scratched up when it turns out you didnt have the crane quite high enough when you go to pull the engine out
Old 30-05-2008, 10:17 PM
AndyPen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd also go along with take out anything you might damage. It also makes it much easier to pop back in. I took out the fans n rad, intercooler, airbox, and water tank plus breather canister from what I can recall. You might want to remove or tie back the speedo cable and undo the clutch cable too. Bonnet was off too as suggested. The fuel line clip thingy can be a swine and there is a special tool - though most people I know improvise something.

If its 2wd get the top gearbox bolts out first - the ones at the back / top of the engine, then jack / hoist the engine up and unbolt the mounts from below. Keep the gearbox on a jack if you can. Unbolt the remaining four bolts and pull the lump forward and off the gbox. It really is simple and the whole thing with turbo, plenum etc. will have loads of room if everything else is out as described.

If its 4wd you need more info

Engine out...

Engine In...

oops obviously the exhaust and heatshield too!!
Old 30-05-2008, 10:37 PM
fatmike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Mine was a 4x4 and should pretty much be the same process as the 2wd, not really too much difference. I didn't have any need to jack the gearbox up either which was handy, it stayed in place fine. Just get your drive shafts out of your sump, and follow pretty much what the guy above said. I think you'll find its mandatory to take the bonnet off, otherwise you won't be able to crane it up, as it will be right in the way. Not to sure why, but when I did mine, instead of taking the bonnet off, we decided to be different and lower the engine down, jack the actual car up with the crane, and slide the engine out underneath lol.

The possibilities are endless lol.

The only thing if its a 4wd is I think you have to end up taking the anti roll bar off, if i remember rightly. This is bad news, because getting it back on is a complete c*nt, as I think anyone would agree.It took the biggest wratched strap you've ever seen, 2 guys,and alot of fucking straining lol
Old 31-05-2008, 09:15 PM
PewteRS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Much easier to drop it out of the bottom if its a 4x4

I've just refitted my engine in my escos yesterday....take off the bottom arms at the subframe and the go back in POP. I removed the subfame completely, jacked the front of the car up, slide the engine under and lift with a hoist and refit the subframe.
Old 31-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Cosmo
Regular Contributor

Cheers lads,

Got the engine out today, its a 2wd and to be honest it came out a dream, one of the easiest engines i've ever removed, had a bit of trouble getting it off the box as its got a big wing sump which i had to ease past the front crossmember to get it far enough forward, was out in no time at all though really.

I'm looking to remove the gearbox next, any useful hints where thats concerned, i couldnt make out how the prop shaft detaches today when i had a quick look for starters.
Old 31-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

gearbox will just pull off the prop m8.

Steve
Old 31-05-2008, 10:38 PM
AndyPen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep - just pulls away. Easy enough to drop the prop centre bearing and 4 bolts off the diff if you still feel inclined - might make it easier to pop back together.

Glad you got it sorted ))