Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

windows not working

Search this Thread

Old 24-04-2008, 03:13 PM
cossie0_4
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windows not working

i have a prob with windows not working they just stoped for some reason i have checked fuses and all ok i have a earth on the switches but no power is there a relay for the windows and if so where is it located and the colour please its a 2wd sap if that helps much apreciated cheers
Old 24-04-2008, 03:23 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure there is no relay, just a live, when the ignition is turned on, so I would go there and work from there towards the ignition switch, looking for a break in the wire.
One touch works well on these, and easy to do, I hid my one touch relays under the centre console bit.
tabetha
Old 24-04-2008, 03:31 PM
cossie0_4
PassionFord Regular

never haerd of 1 touch are they easy to do and were do i get them from cheers
Old 24-04-2008, 05:10 PM
cossie daz
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my drivers door window stopped alittle while back and mine turned out to be the wiring.
The wiring was getting squashed where it met the front door opening and the body.if i played with the wires it would close.

hope this helps
Old 24-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

or take a look at the the window switches, my drivers side window went down then stopped workin, it turned out to b a problem with the switch, they r a really simple switch, any dirt on the contacts n it stops working,

if all of the windows have stopped workin u may have dissconected the multi-plug that provided the windows with power its situated behind the dash,
Old 24-04-2008, 07:08 PM
velocity
PassionFord Regular

fuse 24 is for all the windows.you should have power to one side of this fuse with the ignition on. if yes then somewhere between there and the center consol switch module is a broken wire (black and yellow).
if you want to do a quick check,pop out the window switch module and just bring a live supply and connect it into where the balck and yellow wire goes and see if the windows work.
BUT FIRST
make sure the fuse 24 has not blown, if it has repalce it and see if it blows again
if it does then you have a short to earth and if you do the quick check as i discribed you may melt the makeshift supply wire
Old 24-04-2008, 07:27 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

cossie0 4
One touch are VERY easy to do, you can use as I did mondeo one touch relays, which can be found in any mondeo, in ALL the drivers doors, a brown unit with a moulded plug onto it, held with two large/ish screws into the door space, about 6" below the mirror area.
To use one for each window you need one unit, you can have one touch up or down, I just did down for safety reasons, they are just a timer basically, easy to wire though to get them all(4) fitted under the centre console/armresty bit you need to cut off the moulded bit and solder the wires direct to the terminals.
If you want to do this, the colours are as follows ,
black to ground,
violet/white with yellow streaks to LIVE,
yellow/violet to motor
yellow/green to switch.
You need to find which wire from the switch goes LIVE when you press for the function you want, ie if you want one touch down, on any window see which wire goes LIVE when the switch is pressed, now cut this wire, and insert in between the one touch relay, with the yellow/green wire going to the SWITCH end of the cut wire, then the yellow/violet wire going to the other cut end that goes to the motor.
do this for each window you want.
If you want it on the UP motion just see which is LIVE when going UP, and coonect as above.
The window will go down fully after a BRIEF press(one touch) but if held will just stop as normal when released, and it will stop if you press again whilst going down on it's own.
tabetha
Old 25-04-2008, 12:14 PM
cossie0_4
PassionFord Regular

will check all of the above later but is it poss just to pout a new live wire onto the swirch cheers
Old 25-04-2008, 12:23 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Yes it is, so long as disconnect old one, or it may short out a new one.
If you put it to a permanent live then obviously windys will work with ignition off as well then.
tabetha