Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Still Got A Strong Fuel Smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
kosienutter
Last Time, Get Off PF FFS

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Still Got A Strong Fuel Smell

i took my 4x4 into a garage 2 months ago to rectify a fuel smell and it turned out to be the main fuel line to the fuel rail at the join, (the clip that held it on was apparently too tight).

there was no smell for a few weeks but it has come back again. i have checked the join which was cut off and replaced and it is still sealed up and looks as it was the day it was fitted. i get the smell most of the time when just coming of boost and letting the waste gate chatter about. it does not smell when i ease of the boost gently not allowing the waste gate to chatter if you know what i mean.

im thinking it might be the dump valve letting the vapour out from the plenum. the dump valve is a diaphram one. could this be it?

i have had the car up on the ramps and checked the whole fuel line and it was totally dry.
any help as always would be great
thanks for reading.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:16 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I remember I was out once blasting the car flamer flaming and allsorts, when I got home I could smell fuel looked under the car and fuel was pissing out of the tank as it had rusted through on the joins where the tank is welded together, check this on your car by running your fingers around the lip on the tank, also look around the injectors on the plenem chamber, the seals go and leak fuel, this is disasterous at this location because it can cause the car to go up in flames

Luciano
Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 PM
kosienutter
Last Time, Get Off PF FFS

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

oh f**k better get them sorted then as the injectors do look a little wet as it were any idea how much blues are? i think they are dark ones and can they be fitted diy after they have been ultra sounded and all that