Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Urgent help needed!! Saph 4x4

Old 20-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Jonny81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent help needed!! Saph 4x4

Just went out to start the car & as soon as it fired up there was a huge screeching noise & massive drain on the battery so i shut it off & popped the boonnet to take a look.

Couldnt see anything wrong at all so i started her up again but this time left it ticking over while i went to take a look, the screeching noise was loud as hell & before i got a chance to get out of the car & take a look smoked started to bellow up from the bonnet so i shut it off.

It looked as though the smoke was coming from the power steering pump but i cant be sure. (bottom right side of the engine)

Has anybody got any experience with power steering pumps? Can they sieze & cause the belt to squeal as it trys turn the pulley? Is there any way to test it?

Im pretty clueless with this sort of thing to be honest but my cars a daily runner so i need it sorting asap!

thanks
Old 20-02-2008, 12:46 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

remove the belt from the PAS pump and try it by hand...if its locked solid then there's your problem.

Does the belt look smoked? can you not get a mate to turn it over whilst you look under bonnet and see whats happening?

Does it have fluid in PAS reservoir? If not then put some in.

Dan
Old 20-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Jonny81

thanks for the reply, im guna go attempt to remove the belt, is it easy enough to do?

cheers
Old 20-02-2008, 12:57 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

OR unplug the coil so you dont have spark and turn the engine over whilst watching the pulley for movement.....you dont have to undo anything then...

Dan
Old 20-02-2008, 02:25 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Haha, my Cossie has developed a fucking horrid screech lately, but it's a familiar one, loose power steering belt again.

With a bit of luck yours is just loose too. I think the adjustment bracket is a poor design, hard to get it as tight as you want it.

EDIT: saw you said it was smoking, so yes maybe seized.

Look on the bright side, loud sudden noises accompanied by smoke from under the bonnet can be REALLY expensive, or they can be something like a dodgy power steering pump, I know which I'd prefer
Old 20-02-2008, 02:58 PM
silky16v
Get on That!

starter motor fuked and the solnoid jams and burns it out, has happened to me before
Old 20-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Jonny81

Well its working fine again now, god knows how long for though. I just went back out & turned it over & it was spot on

Cant complain i guess
Old 20-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Urgent help needed!! Saph 4x4

Originally Posted by Jonny81
Just went out to start the car & as soon as it fired up there was a huge screeching noise & massive drain on the battery so i shut it off & popped the boonnet to take a look.

Couldnt see anything wrong at all so i started her up again but this time left it ticking over while i went to take a look, the screeching noise was loud as hell & before i got a chance to get out of the car & take a look smoked started to bellow up from the bonnet so i shut it off.

It looked as though the smoke was coming from the power steering pump but i cant be sure. (bottom right side of the engine)

Has anybody got any experience with power steering pumps? Can they sieze & cause the belt to squeal as it trys turn the pulley? Is there any way to test it?

Im pretty clueless with this sort of thing to be honest but my cars a daily runner so i need it sorting asap!

thanks
i would check the altornator, make sure that hasnt siezed
Old 23-02-2008, 05:48 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Originally Posted by Jonny81
Well its working fine again now, god knows how long for though. I just went back out & turned it over & it was spot on

Cant complain i guess
I'm still convinced it's that power steering belt that was squealing, mine started doing it just the other day too, perhaps something to do with the cold weather that suddenly hit us?? Could something in the pump have frozen??