Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

My car seems to EAT starter motors...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car seems to EAT starter motors...

Ok, granted I keep buying second hand units, but still it seems that too many units seem to die on me. 3 starters have failed on me in six months.

My battery is 6 months old, my engine earth lead is very solid and clean, my positive to the starter is very solid and clean.

So that leaves the negative connection on the starter, it attaches with a pathetic looking connection, that seems woefully inadequate, but I tried running a direct cable from battery negative to this terminal, and nothing happened, so I think I need a better understanding of what this wire does??? Hmm, whatever.

Anyway, today I bought a new ring connector to crimp on to the starter negative wire so I can connect the negative with a nut, the same as the positive. It's too dark now so won't be doing it till the morning, so not sure if this will help or not. But am interested if anyone can advise on the starter system on 4x4 Saff.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless it is different than 2wd it is earthed through the starters BODY, not by a wire, the only wires going to it are the main one from battery and the solenoid feed, to operate the starter.
tabetha
Old 09-02-2008, 07:57 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Originally Posted by tabetha
Unless it is different than 2wd it is earthed through the starters BODY, not by a wire, the only wires going to it are the main one from battery and the solenoid feed, to operate the starter.
tabetha
Ok that would make sense. So if my symptoms are either a loud clicking, or a quiet whine from the starter, is this something that could be due to a dodgy connection to the solenoid wire??
Old 10-02-2008, 08:44 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

If they are BOSCH solenoids, they could well stick anyway as they are crap.
A loud clicking says that the solenoid is getting power, but starter is not turning for some reason, the loud click is thr ring gear engaging as it does this just before the current is passed to the motor itself, ie PRE ENGAGED, the last part of travel of the solenoid is the CURRENT FEED to the motor itself, often when they(solenoids) jam it is the last part of the travel that is affected.
The easiest way to test is to take a live wire and a 50pence coin, with car on ramps and in NEUTRAL(!!) touch the live on the terminal where the solenoid feed goes to from the ignition switch, then if NOT turning bridge the TWO LARGE NUTS that are the main battery feed and the output to the motor itself from the solenoid, this is normally bridged internally by the piston in the solenoid that moves to perform these functions but sometimes gets stuck, a good clout often works as well.
Starters are easy to do DIY, so have a go yourself.
Other problems that occur are the bush in the engine end of the starter picks up and can jam solid stopping the starter, or there is a very large carbon build up in the contact area, that just needs GENTLY scraping out and maybe new brushes, there's really not a lot to them.
tabetha
Old 10-02-2008, 01:53 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Thanks Tabetha!

I opened up the starter, rubbed down the ends of the brushes with fine paper, they were pretty black at the ends but nowhere near fully worn, also rubbed down the copper shaft which was quite black. I cut off the crappy connection on the end of the solenoid lead, and crimped on a proper ring connector, with nut and washer securing it, just like the main power lead.

Fired it up, sorted! The motor fires up every time as good as gold.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:32 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Good result, and FREE, see DIY does pay!!
tabetha
Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

tabetha

You are a proper mind of inofrmation and technical know-how.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Yep I'm well pleased, my next move was going to be buy a brand new starter, at about Ł150 - now not only don't I need to, but I'll do the DIY refurb job on the other one I have (the one before that I threw away LoL) and so have a spare at home too.
Old 13-02-2008, 08:26 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

And still got some beer money in your pocket!!
tabetha