Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

lots of smoke at idle, what is the cause

Search this Thread

Old 29-01-2008, 04:09 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lots of smoke at idle, what is the cause

I have a cosworth engine that has been sitting for about two years, another guy had it before me, but his information is not valid... you know the story there (thats new means its had it).

Put the engine in a friends sapphire to see what condition it was in.
Initially it started up fine, a bit smokey then it cleaned up. Then it really started getting smokey with lots of blowby.... The turbo was not spinning freely so we figured that might have been screwing things up. Some more oil and cleaning around turbo by my friend (largely external but he did spray some cleaner over turbo inlet to clean up). It then came good.

Flushed internals with valvoline product... as the oil galleries might be clogged added a slightly thicker oil as it showed a low oil pressure reading when warm.
Car was fine for a few days. Ran better each time and consistent, looking good.

Friend who is driving the car reports that it is now smoking really bad at idle, if he stops in traffic it just smokes everyone out... it is ok at other speeds. When I had it I never really idled it for long periods so it might have been like this all the time. Friend said it got worse quickly and is really bad...

Friend is going to try one of his turbos on it... not sure what else we can do...

Not sure if this is turbo seals letting go.... something else... any ideas much appreciated.
Old 29-01-2008, 04:20 AM
stevecossy
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the rings are shot mate, if its been stood for that long in damp garage then the bores could have rusted and rings stuck so when ya started it, it ripped itself.
And as you say 1 mans new is anothers had it lol.
Old 29-01-2008, 04:41 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Thanks for your comments, here is my thoughts on that?
I have been wondering that, however the car ran really well for a few days... which I think would have made a difference... And there was no smoke when you changed gears, took foot of throttle which is a sign of rings...
It was in a dry place... but you never know hey..

I have been planning on doing a compression test to see if that helps but that would only help on the compression rings... the oil rings might still be giving way...

If I have to pull it down so be it, but I was hoping to get six months out of it so I could plan this better
Old 29-01-2008, 05:04 AM
stevecossy
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i had a car which seemed ok and then 1 day got stuck in traffic jam, looked in my mirror and thought bloody hell someones got a problem, then i set off and realised it was me lol.
It was rings but hope yours int mate
good luck. steve
Old 29-01-2008, 07:48 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My money is on the rings, most likely compression rings are still good but oil control are shot, not unusuall.
tabetha
Old 29-01-2008, 11:49 PM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

My friend put his turbo on before I could get to him, (he took time of work,,, yes he is keen) the smoke has gone, ... I am still going to do a compression test...

I have to question him some more as I thought it was rings too, I think he had some seen some symptons that he forgot to tell me.

I will be taking the turbo apart , I have found rebuild kit for it... but I am planning for the worst... so will be starting a thread on what turbo to get...

Currently looking at Garrent GT 30R, 35R with housings to match T4...

If you have any ideas let me have em

Thanks for your help