Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Sierra dashboard - tips for dismantling

Search this Thread

Old 28-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Vic
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra dashboard - tips for dismantling

Im taking out my dash and was wondering if there were any tips with taking out the upper dash and the lower passengers side dash parts.

Is there anything I need to look out for so as to not break anything?

How long does it take to take out usually?

Cheers
Old 28-01-2008, 05:13 PM
xr4man
Regular Contributor

if you are taking the upper out , then you will have to take out the lower on both sides.

the one thing that caught me by surprise was the two tabs at the bottom of the center console. you will have to remove the entire shifter surround assembly to get to them or you will break the tabs off. it really shouldn't take much more than an hour to get the dash out.
Old 28-01-2008, 07:21 PM
AndyPen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

It took me 3 hours to take out and refit if that's any help? I took the drivers lower off first and passenger next - once the centre console was removed as xr4 notes. Steering wheel will most likely be in the way so get it out first if I were you.

Here is my well used and often seen piccy of my 500 when it was all out

All in all it was nowhere near as bad as I'd feared - obviously I labelled everything and that took the most time... good luck
Old 28-01-2008, 10:30 PM
xr4man
Regular Contributor

holy cow!!!! where'd all those wires come from? you got about 100 pounds more wiring in your dash than i do in my rs.
Old 28-01-2008, 11:23 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and don't get frustrated and just pull at it, it's all very old brittle plastic that breaks very easily.
Old 29-01-2008, 02:40 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

depends on which dash it is, but the facelifted swoopy dash cover is different but the rest is just the same

the tips are, remove the stereo first
then remove the centre console (this is the tricky bit because the handbrake gets in the way)
and also remove the cowling around the steering wheel (and the steering wheel as wel to make life ultra easy)
steering cowling for teh adjustable is more difficult than the non adjustable version as you have 2 larger parts and there are captive self tappers (long ones) in the lower cowling and you might need to find a torx bit as well
you need to remove the drivers side sill trim first
then the kick panel
you then have either 4 or 5 screws (depending on the year)
then pull it forward from th door side to get it off the clip and then out towards the door to get it to disengage the 2 little pins that secure it to the passenger side
remove the sill and kick panel from the other side and unscrew all the screws (i think there are 7 from memory but it's been a while)
you will then find that you can't get to the 2 screws that sit under the centre console bit of the transmissino tunnel so struggle with these for a bit
you can then pull the whole passenger side out
unpluging stuff as you go along
the tops is held in with them 3 screws tyou can see at the top and 2 either side on the door pillars
but you also need to remove the dash cluster as well to disconnect the speedo cable and also the stalks either side too so as they don't get damaged
with the swoopy dash you need to pull the switches out of the door side to unplug them and then there are a few scerews hidden in the vents you need to undo as well
on the centre vent there is just a plastic lug and it breaks if you pull it too hard and the dash never sits right again
remove the 2 screws that hold the clip in place and it's a whole lot easier
either way you still need to unscrew the 3 screws that hold the heater controls in place before you remove the upper dash

i've done it in about an hour but i know what i was doing and i didnt have to remove the centre console because i never put them screws back in again