Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

looking for metal side skirt clips for sapphire

Search this Thread

Old 28-12-2007, 06:47 PM
delboyrscos
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for metal side skirt clips for sapphire

i saw a thread on metal clips for side skirts,but cant find them as the plastic ones keep breaking.

anyone help thanks delboy
Old 29-12-2007, 04:51 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

i bought a brand new ford set,been on the car a week and they are breaking already.not happy!
Old 29-12-2007, 06:15 PM
CozzyMadMike

Hi,

I know what you mean about the clips brakeing. The problem is they where designed to fit the cars when they where new, not some 19 years on the lip in the sills where the clips attach have opened out due to out old relentless friend Rust, they havent redesinged the clips to take into account of this.

When i was the 4x4 Registrar for the RSOC i looked into getting Polyurathane ones made, and even with a slight redesign of the clip they could even be extruded from a dye in a more flexable matterial.

Sadly i had no sucess with either idea.

But,I did find a temperary measure to stopping them brakeing due to the cold making them brittle.

You need to file out or use a thin grinding disc to cut back the fins that hold the clip to the sill lip, once you have done it enough so the clip will go on and slide along to sill lip you can then bond them on with some seam sealer or something like that (I used Tiger Bond), once you have riveted them to the skirt in the correct places. That way you are still using the clip to give the correct shape to the skirt (by using the correct height ones in the correct places) but you have taken the strain out of the plastic when they go over the sill lip that may have expanded due to some rust over the years.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 29-12-2007, 07:13 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought some strips of STAINLESS STEEL, to make some, you can't see them unless the car runs you over so no probs, unless you get run over of course!!
tabetha
Old 30-12-2007, 01:31 AM
robocos
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by tabetha
I just bought some strips of STAINLESS STEEL, to make some, you can't see them unless the car runs you over so no probs, unless you get run over of course!!
tabetha
Did you make a 'L' bracket and fix them to the car?
Cheers
Old 30-12-2007, 05:52 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I did a couple as a try, yes made "L" shape that was stiff enough to stay on expanded rusted sill lip, then fix to skirt, with SS rivet, then paint body colour with touch up, most likely take you a day to get all nice and right but worth it, don't find they come off at all, and my car bounces a bit as it has coilovers!!
tabetha
ps I used 16 gauge, 2mm
Old 30-12-2007, 03:35 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

mine aint rusty,its just had a full respray and the sills were mint before it was painted,ill get some new clips and file them out.
Old 30-12-2007, 04:44 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a couple as a try, yes made "L" shape that was stiff enough to stay on expanded rusted sill lip, then fix to skirt, with SS rivet, then paint body colour with touch up, most likely take you a day to get all nice and right but worth it, don't find they come off at all, and my car bounces a bit as it has coilovers!!
tabetha
ps I used 16 gauge, 2mm
del yours should be ok with ford ones then cause your car is like brand new underneath
Old 30-12-2007, 09:44 PM
robocos
Regular Contributor

tabetha
ps I used 16 gauge, 2mm
So did you positively fix to the sill lip with a rivet or something? Cheers
Old 31-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

looking to have some alloy ones made up on cnc, test ones should hopefully be ready by the end of january and will be tested on smits car and someone elses before we decide wether or not to mass produce them. seems to be a market for them though
Old 31-12-2007, 04:12 AM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MD Cos
looking to have some alloy ones made up on cnc, test ones should hopefully be ready by the end of january and will be tested on smits car and someone elses before we decide wether or not to mass produce them. seems to be a market for them though

Next on your 'to make from metal rather than crap plastic' list - Metal Front bumper mounting brackets
Old 31-12-2007, 06:58 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

NO I did not dril,or use rivetts, only trial fitted a couple but they ehld on, they metal is stiff enough to keep it's grip, just press together so it go completely over the lip, like a "U" shape on the end, but squeezed together so it has to be forced on.
tabetha