Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

SAPH 4X4 NOT WORKING ???

Search this Thread

Old 22-12-2007, 09:00 PM
skrats
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAPH 4X4 NOT WORKING ???

HI ALL .
JUST BEEN OUT TO START MY CAR TO GO FOR A DRIVE AND ITS NOT FIRING UP . IT WORKED FINE LAST WEEKEND AFTER CHANGING THE DIZZY CAP AND ROTOR ARM AND I THOUGHT EVERYTHING WAS OK , BUT THE THING JUST WONT FIRE NOW .
ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT ,, OR ANY COSSIE EXPERTS IN THE SOUTHAMPTON AREA WHO WANT SOME XMAS MONEY

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 22-12-2007, 09:25 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Not the fuel cut off switch in the boot is it?? is the car turning? annoying I know process of elimination in these cases, good luck

Luciano
Old 22-12-2007, 11:02 PM
skrats

CAR TURNS OVER BUT JUST DONT FIRE UP ,,, I DONT NO IF THIS MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE BUT THE OTHER DAY WHEN IT LAST WORKED THE STEREO JUST SWITCHED OFF AND NOW ITS WANTS ITS CODE AGAIN ,, IS THE STEREO LINKED TO THE ECU OR SOMETHING ,,
ITS ALL TO MUCH
Old 22-12-2007, 11:49 PM
reisskahn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm

Check all the basics i guess

Spark Leads all connected and in good nick:
Check all sensors and their wiring conditions
Like menioned Fuel Cut off?
Engine wiring loom inspect it
Check all fuses

Is it turning when you crank it can u spell fuel getting through/hear the fuel pump buzzing?
Old 23-12-2007, 07:05 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listen for the FUEL PUMP BUZZING when you first switch on, it should prime when left overnight.
If this happens it indicates you have crank postion sensor signal, if you don't have this not only will it not spark, it also stops the prime, but is a good diagnostic tool.
Next determine if it is spark or fuel that is missing, it could well be a dodgy connector on the CPS connector itself, as the pins loosesn with age the female part loses it's grip on the male part, (pity my missus never loses her grip on my wallet!!).
It would not hurt just to check the fuel pump cut out but if it has tripped for no reason, it needs resetting then changing.
tabetha
Old 23-12-2007, 09:04 AM
skrats

ok people thanks for the help ,,, the fuel pump is buzzing so i guess the cut off is not failing but where can i find it to check ???. And where can i find the CPS connector,so i can check that allso. thanks
Old 23-12-2007, 10:21 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

If the pump is PRIMING ie buzzing for a few seconds BEFORE you start the car the CPS is not the problem, but is the CRANK POSTIONS SENSOR, follow it along from the area at the front of the sump about 12" or so there is a connector where it joins the loom, this often gives trouble but NOT in your case as it is getting signal if it primes.
The fuel pump cutout is under the spare wheel, the metal bracket has a white button sticking up whihc is the reset button, but again it is NOT the problem.
Concentrate on spark issues instead.
tabetha
Old 23-12-2007, 10:51 AM
skrats

HAVE NO SPARK ... ANY IDEAS OR WHERE TO START LOOKING ,, CHANGED THE IGNITION MODULE ,DIZZYCAP, ROTOR AND PLUGS,
AND LIKE I SAID WAS FINE LAST WEEKEND BUT WENT TO MOVE IT THE OTHER DAY AND NOTHING
Old 24-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Tony Rs
Ebony black Sapph Cos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you fitted the rotor arm properly , it could have come away same thing happened to my mate and his car just stopped working it would turn over etc ,fitted the rotor arm again and properly and all was fine.
Old 27-12-2007, 10:26 AM
skrats

well been out and checked all the sensors that i could see and the crank one is pretty filthy , i will buy a complete sensor kit if someone knows where to buy from in bulk. also does there have to be any particular gap between the crank sensor and the pulley??
Thanks in advance
Old 27-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Is the phase sensor/and the wires ok in the dizzy cap under the dust shield in the dizzy. Cause normaly the plastic insulation on the wires for the phase sensor always crack and the wire start to touch each other.
Old 27-12-2007, 06:58 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Matt Lewis, for the sensors, 01922 692424.
The gap on the Crank sensor is 0.6mm - 1.0mm, in reality they will run with a much larger gap, but signal gets dirty.
The phase sensor(dizzy) is 0.2mm - 0.3mm, the wires will be coloured 1 x red and 1 x blue, the red wire which is uppermost on the sensor MUST go to the connector pin nearest to it in the side of the dizzy body, check for play in the shaft and rotor arm while there, rotor arm wear/wiggle can be got rid of with a thin piece of card(x mas card) placed between the arm and shaft so it droops over the shaft, so arm has to be pushed on.
When setting the CPS gap check on ALL FOUR LUGS, as some may be chipped worn.
tabetha
Old 27-12-2007, 07:09 PM
skrats

Thanks for the settings tab , i checked the crank sensor earlier on and the gap was more than 10 mm but it did not look like there was much room for adjustment,, can it be adjusted ?? i checked phase sensor also and all wires looked good ,

Also bought a sensor kit from matt lewis today so hopefully arrive soon and i can play with my car again ,,
Old 12-01-2008, 02:22 PM
skrats

right guys ,, i have changed the crank sensor now and still have no spark ,, whats next ???
Old 14-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Zetec_mk4_XR3i
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

sorry to hi-jack thread - does matt lewis have a web site? need to price up sensor set myself

good luck with yours mate
Old 14-01-2008, 05:38 PM
skrats

look on the bay mate for matt lewis , his kit for mine was 85 quid which was a bargain ,, even though mines still dead