Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Rear wheel drive help, driving!!

Search this Thread

Old 19-12-2007, 04:47 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel drive help, driving!!

Im a bit to put this post up, but I feel its a must!

Im 33 years old, been driving since I was 17 and never owned a rear wheel drive car. Owned tons of hot hatches in my years!

Anyway......question is, how on earth do you control a rear wheel drive car in the wet? I live in Milton Keynes (roundabout City) due to the horrible weather and getting more comfortable with my car means i have not been hanging around. Earlier I was on the throttle going round a roundabout when the back decided to step out, although a second or 2 of fun/adrenalin it scared the shit out of me! A sharp hit on the brakes and all was solved! Thing is I have seen many rear wheel drive cars on films and even Youtube kinda powering sideways, now I have not got the balls for this kind of driving....well not yet, but how is it done?
Old 19-12-2007, 04:51 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

find a big open space and practise on on the throttle control chap,try not to use your brakes u will make her snap the other way
Old 19-12-2007, 05:10 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need the bottle mate.

I found best just hold it out lol, not to heavy on the old throttle and build it up, scary stuff and nearly ended up in few fields

dont think you can be told what to do , more of a feel and a expeirence type of thing mate
Old 19-12-2007, 05:42 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Like they said above mate, you need to find somewhere safe and open to ahve a try at different things - ie. balancing the car on the throttle, adjusting steering etc. You need to figure out how to recover it safely first though really, before trying to hold it

Either way, you need to be easing off the throttle rather than completely coming off quickly otherwise it might grip and send you the other way.
Old 19-12-2007, 07:40 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on several factors and one is how grippy your tyres are, you need to lose traction to spin, this is done by using too much power, to induce a spin, but you must keep the power on otherwise as the wheels slow to match the road speed you gain grip/traction and it will snap all of a sudden, there are skid pans and skid schools you could go to.
Not into this drifting stuff myself, but do a bit of it in my cos as the head is modded, and the torque curve is vicious, with 142 lbft at 1500rpm!!
I am struggling in this weather also to prevent it from spinning(2wd), third gear at 1500 rpm very light throttle yesterday saw it light up the tyres, trouble is I then take it easy to avoid it and it is fouling the plugs running around at less than 2000rpm all day!!
tabetha
Old 19-12-2007, 08:36 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

don't practise on the road, you're asking for trouble. trust me from someone who has learnt the hard way
Old 19-12-2007, 09:26 PM
AndyPen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Totally agree with that - don't risk it on the road deliberately. There are courses you can do as well, even a couple of hours on one of the 'Boots Card' rally events would help enormously... one of the locations even uses 3drs!

I used to rally a fair bit and then spent time with Penti Arrikala on a cossy training weekend on an airfield in Oxford... and started to learn all over again!! (He was simply amazing)

Even Kart racing might be a useful experience to get the feel of a drift in safety? Flippin good fun too

Old 19-12-2007, 09:41 PM
borderfox
Regular Contributor

A nice green field worked for me
Old 19-12-2007, 09:45 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

best no to throw it about but let the wheel spin loosen grip then just try and steer it.

Better trying get advice from one of the "proper" drivers as I try to keep mine as straight as poss.
Old 19-12-2007, 09:53 PM
borderfox
Regular Contributor

Open the frist gate you find into a lovely flat field then into 2nd pop the revs and FEEL the sideways LOVEing. That's what 2wd is about..The LOVING..........
Old 20-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Foot Down and Keep 'em Lit!!
Soon as you lift off or brake your just heading backwards into the nearest hard object!
Rich
Old 20-12-2007, 07:58 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the problem most novices have is that they steer into the skid and lift off at the same time
this means you are now steering into the pavement when the grip comes back in again and you tend to end up mowing down grannies waiting for the mobility bus

lifting off gently means that you don't get a sudden excess of grip over talent and you are more gentle on the steering angles

keeping your foot in can also keep you spinning much further around than youwould like, which puts your front end in the wrong direction of the traffic flow

again, soemthing you want to avoid

what you need to find is how YOUR car handles, so find a nice open space with nothing to hit and practice there, you'll only get an asbo worse case but it's better than kiling the car and soemthng out on the roads
Old 23-12-2007, 12:29 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

my pal had an old e30 m3,he wasnt experienced in drifting,donuts or anything really as he had been driving a fwd transit for years,but after a few weeks he was a god,when i didnt have my eyes shut it was impressive,wide open industrial estates or something similar will bring you on,failing that sell the car and buy a 4x4!
Old 23-12-2007, 12:30 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Just go 4wd.
Old 23-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just go 4wd.
Old 23-12-2007, 02:46 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
Just go 4wd.
I know my limits .
Old 23-12-2007, 05:14 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

4wd= TRACTOR!!
TABETHA
Old 23-12-2007, 05:46 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

4x4 is king

2wd is "ooh! look at me i can do doughtnuts and go sideways, ooh! look at me i can drift and show off at cruises like a right dick wad, ooh! look at me all the chav twats think i'm a legend but i'm really some spotty little herbert and the only naked bird i've touched is a fried chicken, ooh! my cossie is so good my dick is getting hard and i'm about to cream my y fronts"

bottom line 2wd is boy racer twats who end up getting wrapped around things

4x4 is grip on the twisty bits and great off the line

Luciano
Old 23-12-2007, 07:02 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

charlie luciano
Old 23-12-2007, 08:18 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Some 2wd people are responsible, just got to find some so I can prove it!!
tabetha
Old 23-12-2007, 11:48 PM
AndyPen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Some of us are just too old to be anything but responsible... but then again, both of mine are rwd so maybe I'll be finding my 'yoof' again if what you say is right Charles mate
Old 24-12-2007, 06:24 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I must admit I don't do any of the above chavy stuff, maybe because I am too old(42).
I do admit to the odd accidental wheelspin though(2wd).
tabetha
Old 24-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Remko GT
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by charlie luciano
4x4 is king

2wd is "ooh! look at me i can do doughtnuts and go sideways, ooh! look at me i can drift and show off at cruises like a right dick wad, ooh! look at me all the chav twats think i'm a legend but i'm really some spotty little herbert and the only naked bird i've touched is a fried chicken, ooh! my cossie is so good my dick is getting hard and i'm about to cream my y fronts"

Luciano
That's a load of bollocks m8. For instance, I drive a 2wd car for the fun of it, not for showing off. My project car will also be a 2wd (for you Cossie boys a "mere" 230hp but plenty for now)
Won't drive it in the wet anyway. I drove a m8's 4x4 24v, tbh, it just didn't feel as fast as a 2wd feels. Imo, that also gives you a false feel of security. Besides, when a 4x4 loses grip you're REALLY in trouble. A 2wd is much easier to correct if it decides to step out (if you're on time)
And a 2wd is lighter
Old 24-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ye because RWD drive cars are just crap off the line and horrible around corners!!
Old 25-12-2007, 12:35 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom

Ye because RWD drive cars are just crap off the line and horrible around corners!!

Hello thats a million pound f1 car not some shonky old ford sierra

Luciano
Old 25-12-2007, 12:38 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Remko GT
4x4 is king

Luciano
That's a load of bollocks m8. For instance, I drive a 2wd car for the fun of it, not for showing off. My project car will also be a 2wd (for you Cossie boys a "mere" 230hp but plenty for now)
Won't drive it in the wet anyway. I drove a m8's 4x4 24v, tbh, it just didn't feel as fast as a 2wd feels. Imo, that also gives you a false feel of security. Besides, when a 4x4 loses grip you're REALLY in trouble. A 2wd is much easier to correct if it decides to step out (if you're on time)
And a 2wd is lighter

I was taking the piss hence the smiley laughing faces I added to my text, oh! sorry you come from holland go and get me some edam and crackers

Luciano
Old 25-12-2007, 12:43 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Besides its taken you turkeys a while to respond to my piss take where have you been? driving f1 cars and making cheese

ffs I was having a piss take, calm down you'll get blood pressure

Luciano
Old 25-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Dave McB
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

go to a ig industrial estate or supermarket with a hooooge car park and waste a tank of fuel learning.

I done it that way. Infact, i still do that when am bored lol. i like to kid myself i can drift properly.....
Old 26-12-2007, 02:50 PM
hairykrishna
Virgin

As all the other people have recommended - find a nice open space and plenty of practice! I learned in a sub 200 quid dohc sierra so I was a bit less nervous about bending it. Remember it's easier to recover it than you think, gradual movements of the throttle are key - never panic and jump off it.

Here's a nice 'drifting' instruction video where various 'drift' methods are explained;

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

I'm not normally a fan of this kind of thing, it's all a bit Fast and the Furious for me, but this one's actually quite good.
Old 27-12-2007, 11:00 AM
RobCarden
358bhp

just confidence that comes from experience....

you ll read loads on this and other sites and it seems as if everybody can drive sideways all the time while on the phone and drinking a beer!

loads more people talk a good drift

best thing would be an empty carpark away from everything or grass... but cars don't drive the same on tarmac as grass...

just take your time and keep chilled....

most people are still learning...

i know how crap i am
Old 27-12-2007, 02:42 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Thanks guys

Im so used to front wheeled driven cars. I have a Golf GTI 16v MK2 and a R5 GT turbo, ive got to grips with these little hotties (Owned my Golf for 7 years and my R5 for 5 months). The best front wheeled drive car i have driven/owned has to be a Pug 309 GTI, great handling, much better than my old 1.9 205 GTI. One of the worst without fail was my old Astra GTE 16v, that was scary on the twisties!

My Saph is a 2.0 DOHC Ghia Auto. I love it!!!! Its such a chilled car to drive. When i gave it some on the rounabout the other day and it stepped out it was not so chilled...... I was very close to laying a turd as i thought i was going to plant into the barrier!
Old 27-12-2007, 02:42 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

its a learning curve you will need to just try,and go a bit further each time until your confident

ive had 35 sierras mostly 2.0ltr rwd ones and having played with these for years you get the just of it,the cossie just does it better with the lsd
Old 27-12-2007, 03:59 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by col cos1
its a learning curve you will need to just try,and go a bit further each time until your confident

ive had 35 sierras mostly 2.0ltr rwd ones and having played with these for years you get the just of it,the cossie just does it better with the lsd
Thanks mate

What do you think to the 2.0 Sierra's?
Old 27-12-2007, 04:58 PM
NUTTIN RILLA
PassionFord Post Troll

Trying to drift in an auto will be alot harder than a manual car, i`d hate to blip the throttle to much if was out and the cunt changed gear
Old 27-12-2007, 06:03 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by godzilla
Originally Posted by col cos1

Thanks mate

What do you think to the 2.0 Sierra's?
2.0 ltr sierras are good daily hacks mate

the 2.o twin cam 1990- is better on fuel but cant take a kick in like the old 2.0ltr pinto 87-90

but you will probably struggle to get hold of an early one,although there is a silver one on ebay just now

couldnt believe it when i went scrappy and not 1 sierra,used to be loads

if you do get a 2.0ltr sierra fit a 7in rear lsd from an xr4x4 makes it alot more fun especially this time of year
Old 28-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Remko GT
Regular Contributor

Besides its taken you turkeys a while to respond to my piss take where have you been? driving f1 cars and making cheese

ffs I was having a piss take, calm down you'll get blood pressure

Luciano
m8, I wasn't upset. Just stating how I felt about it. I just failed to realize you were taking the piss m8
I am not the kinda guy who'd get upset because of what some joker says on the Internet. All in good fun!

Let me know where I can sent the cheese and crackers
Old 29-12-2007, 07:54 PM
captiva
PassionFord Regular

We drive on 2 inches of ice all winter long (5 months) over tother side of pond, not a problem!
Old 31-12-2007, 12:25 PM
jay
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

iv had a few rear wheel drives and i still cant do it very well

i think from what my dad says it just takes time and lots of practice!!