Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Mondeo mk3 1.8 Duratec petrol lack of power when hot

Old 15-09-2013, 10:23 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Mondeo mk3 1.8 Duratec petrol lack of power when hot

Interesting one this. First job Friday morning, customer had been driving around since 6:30am to get car hot enough to demonstrate fault.

Petrol Mondeos don't seem to be as much bother as the TDCIs!

Apparently after being driven for over an hour, car loses power and the hotter it gets the worse it gets. Went out with customer, and sure enough after a few miles, car holds back and if kept on full throttle car goes even slower.

Stopped on side of road, got customer to rev car,wouldn't rev over 4k, sounded like it had anti-lag and exhaust was 'hissing' as if restricted.....

Went back to garage, no codes in ECU, car had been elsewhere and had new cat and EGR valve, but when these didn't fix it they had ran out of ideas and advised to go to main dealer.

Got car to fault in workshop, again sounded restricted through exhaust, so undone exhaust after cat, still the same, undone exhaust before cat, still the same but LOUD.

Hmmm...

As ever went back to basics. Fuel pressure gauge on the rail (returnless system, FPR part of in-tank pump), started up, over 3.5bar, but went down to 2.5bar when revved up, but not faulting.

Left running a little longer, car started faulting and fuel pressure went down to 1bar when revving. (Should be 3.8bar and maintain it when running) filter is recent and OK.

Awaiting authority to fit new in-tank pump.
Old 15-09-2013, 10:33 PM
chris cdti
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How olds the mondeo? And the joys of these none service parts as
The following users liked this post:
MOS1 (15-10-2016)
Old 15-09-2013, 10:42 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Think it was 04/05 plate, about 107k miles

Weirdly it was bought from a place I used to work the other side of the country!
Old 16-09-2013, 10:33 PM
chris cdti

How did you get on with the intank filter?
Old 16-09-2013, 10:37 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Haven't done the pump yet.

Expected car to be still there this morning, but it wasn't!
Old 16-09-2013, 10:45 PM
chris cdti

probably got a decent diagnosis an got a cheaper garage to sort it out
Old 17-09-2013, 08:49 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I noticed the place that fitted the cat & EGR valve are advertising 'remapping' -shame they couldn't diagnose a shagged fuel pump.
Old 17-09-2013, 08:58 PM
chris cdti

Hahahahahah!!!!!! Shocking! I bet the guy isnt happy after spending money for bits it didnt need! As you said the Mondeo petrol is fairly good. Ive only come across one bad one and that was one of the first on an X plate and that had managed to spin the bottom crank sprocket.
Old 25-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Raineygfc
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like mine, currently doing the same, and thought it may have been a collapsed cat. But disconnected it before the cat and still the same but by Jesus, it was noisy.

Today while driving with the radio off, I could hear the fuel pump making noises. Do you think a new pump would sort this??
Old 25-09-2013, 09:06 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Really need to get a fuel pressure test done to make sure, as a pump from Ford isn't cheap and it's a tank off job to fit too.

Fuel filter been changed recently?
Old 14-10-2016, 06:35 PM
MOS1
MOS1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GVK.
Interesting one this. First job Friday morning, customer had been driving around since 6:30am to get car hot enough to demonstrate fault.

Petrol Mondeos don't seem to be as much bother as the TDCIs!

Apparently after being driven for over an hour, car loses power and the hotter it gets the worse it gets. Went out with customer, and sure enough after a few miles, car holds back and if kept on full throttle car goes even slower.

Stopped on side of road, got customer to rev car,wouldn't rev over 4k, sounded like it had anti-lag and exhaust was 'hissing' as if restricted.....

Went back to garage, no codes in ECU, car had been elsewhere and had new cat and EGR valve, but when these didn't fix it they had ran out of ideas and advised to go to main dealer.

Got car to fault in workshop, again sounded restricted through exhaust, so undone exhaust after cat, still the same, undone exhaust before cat, still the same but LOUD.

Hmmm...

As ever went back to basics. Fuel pressure gauge on the rail (returnless system, FPR part of in-tank pump), started up, over 3.5bar, but went down to 2.5bar when revved up, but not faulting.

Left running a little longer, car started faulting and fuel pressure went down to 1bar when revving. (Should be 3.8bar and maintain it when running) filter is recent and OK.

Awaiting authority to fit new in-tank pump.
HI there, new to the forum world... I have a similar problem with my 2006 1.8 Mondeo Platinum. but it looses power almost as soon as I start driving. No need to warm it up. And above about 3000 revs she stutters and won't go any faster. I did notice I can take the foot off the accelorator and back on and she'll go up some more.... This is still happening with the EGR unplugged. Do you think it's fuel pump or filter or best to replace both
Old 15-10-2016, 03:46 AM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'd advise getting the fuel pressure tested first before throwing parts at it.