Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Won't start and no warning lights !

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Andrew_Read
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start and no warning lights !

Boys and Girls

Am having some now fairly major trouble with my 06 plate Mondeo 2.0 tdci 130ps.
Is a fantastic car and has done me well up till now.
Basically the car was making a, "not so nice knocking noise very infrequently". Noise would occur for a second and then disappear and would not be heard again for several weeks. Never had any warning lights come on when the noise was present or anything. Then one evening driving up the road the noise re appeared, I lost 90% of the power and then it just cut out and was unable to get it re started.
Am familiar with injectors going and the limp mode coming on ect as have two sets of injectors fitted over the years.
Car has fuel in it and "yes" it is diesel and have been driving with that fuel in the tank for a day or two.
Car has been fully looked after and regularly serviced by ford main dealer.
Have towed car to a more local garage (again a ford main dealer supposedly) They have plugged code reader in and apparently there is no fault codes ! Also I have no warning lights on dash board. They have checked compression and is within spec (A little bit down but considering car has done 240K its in good condition) they have tried starting it and have got no where...so have taking it back from them to try and resolve the problem myself (only after paying them the best part of £200 to get the car back with no diagnosis on the actual problem....)
Car cranks when you turn the key and sounds like it wants to fire but never does. The dodgy Ford garage said that, when they were trying to get it started they did notice the fuel pressure was a bit incosistant but wasnt throwing an error code and the injectors were fireing...
They said it could be either a fuel pump issue or a Dual mass flywheel. They could replace either or both but was going to cost thousands....so unsupriningsley I said that without a better diagnosis i wasnt going to part with any more cash !
Can anyone help ?

Many thanks
Andrew
Old 12-12-2016, 09:13 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

it won't be the flywheel as they make horrible noises when they are failing

it could be the pump, but without knowing what the pressure is that's another theory out of the window for the time being

are you sure it's not something as simple as the alarm ring failing on the steering cowl?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Andrew_Read
Virgin

No I don't think it's the alarm circuit, it was making some pretty horrid knocking type noises from the engine area...
Old 13-12-2016, 09:13 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

remove the starter motor

if there are metallic flakes or shards inside then that's the flywheel breaking up

and killing the starter as well
Old 16-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Scooby45
Virgin

Long shot but my mondeo ghia x tdci had similar symptons and turned out to be cam sensor. No error codes present. £10 to fix.