Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Mondeo MK3 Front `droning` noise 50mph

Old 21-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Stu1828
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Mondeo MK3 Front `droning` noise 50mph

Hi all,,,hope someone here can help me out as the garages dont seem capable of doing so,......here goes ( my first post btw here!) ..I have a Mondeo hatch LX 53 plate,..my main problem is i am hearing a reasonably loud `droning` noise from the front, which resonates through the car, and is begining to drive me nutz, ...but only starts to appear at around 45 mph and then worse at , oddly, dead on 50 mph, any faster and it begins to fade a little, i have had nearside front bearing replaced with hub too as there was initial thoughts it could be that,...but alas,,it was no different after. The offside front wheel shows zero sign of it being that bearing ( no noise, play, with car jacked),.......what could cause the noise? there is no vibration on steering wheel,...no apparent noise change when turning so im thinking the problem isnt `wheel related`,......your thoughts would be most welcome on this,..thank you for reading !
Old 21-02-2013, 08:52 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The bearings can fail and not wobble! Does the noise change when you press the clutch? If not it's drivetrain related, if it does probably hub/bearing.
Old 25-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Stu1828
Virgin

Default Re:

Hi Dan, thanks for your reply,.....the droning noise is still there yes when the clutch is pressed in, the bearings i have had a garage look at and they say they are fine,.....,also,... i should have mentioned in my initial post, the car feels a little `sluggish` and i can feel there is a slight `drag` or `pull` when the car is moving, as if the brakes were being pressed slightly whilst driving, although it is not the brakes i know that for sure,.....which brings me back to your post,.drivetrain,.....i am no expert at all so could you possibly give me some ideas on what you mean by drivetrain? I have read somewhere possibly it could be the transmission bearing, does that make sense? thank you, again the droning noise makes driving the car horrible!
Old 25-02-2013, 04:32 PM
wulliegunn
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

mate just because a mechanics' spun the wheel etc,it doesnt mean its NOT that o/s fr bearing. the fact that you're gettin the dreaded drone at 45,would tell me that it prob IS your wheel bearing. I had a main-shaft bearing go on my golf,& that used to be really audible when cold engine & within 5mins driving it'd disappear. But it gradually got worse n worse,so sold the car.
Old 25-02-2013, 05:05 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

bearings mate they can sound ok with no load and just spinning the wheel but underload at 50mph is a different matter
Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Mondy Focus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have cheap tyres on at the moment (fullrun dodgy)and think they might make droning as i changed bearings and drone has not disappeared.
Old 21-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Foggy0010
Virgin

Default Same

Originally Posted by Stu1828
Hi all,,,hope someone here can help me out as the garages dont seem capable of doing so,......here goes ( my first post btw here!) ..I have a Mondeo hatch LX 53 plate,..my main problem is i am hearing a reasonably loud `droning` noise from the front, which resonates through the car, and is begining to drive me nutz, ...but only starts to appear at around 45 mph and then worse at , oddly, dead on 50 mph, any faster and it begins to fade a little, i have had nearside front bearing replaced with hub too as there was initial thoughts it could be that,...but alas,,it was no different after. The offside front wheel shows zero sign of it being that bearing ( no noise, play, with car jacked),.......what could cause the noise? there is no vibration on steering wheel,...no apparent noise change when turning so im thinking the problem isnt `wheel related`,......your thoughts would be most welcome on this,..thank you for reading !
Hi I know this post was from some time ago but my car is doing the same thing and was just wondering if you ever got it sorted ?
Old 24-04-2016, 07:49 AM
leep27
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by Stu1828
Hi. Mine does exactly the same. Changed the wheel bearings. I did need to put in a new gear box driveshaft oil seal on the near side. Still drones. So im convinvinced its the gear box diff bearing or driveshaft bearing. Dunno how big a job it is to do.
Old 24-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Foggy0010
Virgin

Originally Posted by leep27
Hi. Mine does exactly the same. Changed the wheel bearings. I did need to put in a new gear box driveshaft oil seal on the near side. Still drones. So im convinvinced its the gear box diff bearing or driveshaft bearing. Dunno how big a job it is to do.
Not good I'm hoping its nothing like that going to be doing the other wheel bearings next weekend so I hop that will sort it
Old 26-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Mondy Focus

I had both front bearings and premium tyres changed but still hums
badly at 20mph ,suspect driveshaft or clutch aswell as gearbox.
Still hums when in neutral and clutch rattles slightly on idle.
When pushing it in 2nd gear can feel rough acceleration.
Has also been mentioned elsewhere on another Ford site but
mainly with 2.5L v6 mondeo mk3.and no solution.

Last edited by Mondy Focus; 26-04-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 20-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Quaver

I'd have said wheel bearings too as mine hums like a bugger over 30, so could be driveshafts and/or the box itself....if it's the box it'll be a good excuse to change it for the lift reverse type..

As I like the leather stitching and chrome "ring" you lift
Old 20-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Mondy Focus

Have changed front wheel bearings, new tyres and the intermediate driveshaft bearing,gearbox oil changed.
hum still present so suspect the gearbox bearings.

Last edited by Mondy Focus; 21-07-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added gearbox oil change
Old 14-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Mondy Focus

UPDATE my humming was wheel alignment the toe-in needed adjusting ,after wasting £450 on changing most of bearings,it was 4 wheel alignment at £35 that sorted it,drives like a dream now.
Old 26-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Nightmare matey. At least its sorted now.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Mondy Focus

Thanks ,thought best to post my fix as other threads not many post a solution to their problems,annoying when you need a answer.