Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

Focus Mk2.5 - Wet boot & passenger footwell

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 11:40 AM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Focus Mk2.5 - Wet boot & passenger footwell

Hi all,

What with this recent bad weather, my passenger footwell & drivers side corner of the boot are wet.

Any idea's why?

When it's dry, I will dismantle the boot of it's plastics & hopefully it will be obvious but no idea on the passenger footwell.

Car is a 2010 Mk2.5 Focus ST.

Thanks

Andrew
Old 06-01-2018, 12:56 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

Some used to let water in near the boot hinges.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:51 PM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

They seemed dry as the only wet place in the boot is where the tyre repair kit is.

I have taken the boot apart & possibly it the rubber gasket that holds the rear light onto the car.

Not 100% on this but we will see tomorrow if it rains.

Still no idea on the passenger front.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:57 PM
bigdel
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

The MK1 Focus let water in around the pollen filter I think. Dunno whether later versions do the same
Old 16-01-2018, 05:34 PM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

Well, I replaced the plastic / foam screws that hold the rear lights in but that made no difference. Then stripped a bit more trim out the pillar / boot area. Think that it is coming in from the boot hinges or the welded seams is the channel between the roof & boot. Got some clear silicone sealer to cover any join. Hopefully that works. If not, its the roof gutter.
Old 16-01-2018, 08:38 PM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

dead common issue on mk2 s youtube has loads of vids on it and appears to be mainly from light screws and hinges as somehow at hinges the water is almost sucked up and runs down between panel gaps collecting in bottom corner of the boot, had a st and ghia both do it in same place
Old 20-01-2018, 11:38 AM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

I have replaced the plastic & foam light screws but no difference. I have been using kitchen roll & old flannels to stop it getting in the boot so it isn't as bad. I now have some clear silicone sealant & will be sealing everything I think it could be.

Also, some forums say it could be the roof gutter.
Old 21-01-2018, 12:29 PM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

I think now that my damp passenger footwell is an air conditioning leak as the 'water' dries on my hand sticky so its coolant. Think it may be a damaged pipe or seal. Off to Ford for that.
Old 21-01-2018, 07:35 PM
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Went out in the focus today and noticed that i have also got a wet boot, but on the passenger side. looks like mine is coming in behind the light, i took it off to see what was going on in behind and i cant believe what a shit design it is. I surprised these don't all leak water from new! how did ford expect the 2x screws and 2x pegs to keep water from leaking into the boot?!
I've never taken a rear light out before so it was full of crap in behind, retaining the rain water.so I'm hoping just cleaning it out has sorted it for me.i will check again tomorrow and see.
Old 22-01-2018, 02:43 PM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

on a mates car his was bumper bolts letting water by its one of the worst faults to have with any car bloody water leaks
Old 24-01-2018, 09:23 AM
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Anyone know the part number for the screws and lugs that hold in the rear light? Would be most helpful if someone could point me in the right direction
Old 30-01-2018, 06:18 PM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by st220kyle
Anyone know the part number for the screws and lugs that hold in the rear light? Would be most helpful if someone could point me in the right direction
I replaced the screws & foam washer but it made no difference. These are the screws in the link below, they were the only place online I could find them. They are a pain to get out, you end up ruining them.

https://www.hendyeshop.co.uk/nut---a...07-30984-p.asp

NUT - ADJUSTING F1211807

I have since added silicone sealant around them & to every seam on that side of the car & touch wood, its been ok but it hasn't been heavy rain so far. The main culprit is likely to be the boot hinge area, that square section the hinge goes into. Seal behind the hinge aswell. If that still leaks, its the roof gutter but will order a new trim part before I attempt to remove mine.

Last edited by thebigmacmoomin; 30-01-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 30-01-2018, 06:22 PM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by 1-PD
on a mates car his was bumper bolts letting water by its one of the worst faults to have with any car bloody water leaks
Mine was only wet higher up in the boot. It only got wet on the boot floor when it ran down& pooled.

I did however have a hole in the sealant Ford put in in behind the rear bumper in one of the cavitys. If you put a torch on the ground by the exhaust tip, you could see it through the boot.
The following users liked this post:
STeve (31-01-2018)
Old 30-07-2018, 04:40 PM
naturally aspirated
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Water getting in and puddling the spare wheel. I can tell you exactly where its getting in. My my other half bought a 55 plate Focus a couple of years ago, and seemed nice and clean with low miles for age. Opening the tailgate after a couple of days worth of rain, there must have been a gallon of water in the boot along with a drenched boot carpet. After much searching, taking out light clusters etc, all to no avail, I shoved my missus in the boot with a torch and went round the rear of the car with a fairy liquid bottle full of water and found it to be the welded seal near the tailgate hinge, following right behind the roof rail. Some clear bathroom sealer injected and smoothed off solved the problem for good. its a tiny gap that you wouldn't believe lets so much water in.

Last edited by naturally aspirated; 30-07-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 25-01-2019, 05:43 PM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

Just for anybody who is looking for info.

Boot was water leaking in via the seams around the boot hinge, that square box the hinge is in. Also sealed up all the seams in the area just in case.

Water in the footwell was due to cracks in the bulkhead seams, about 2" below the windscreen. Done from inside the car, glove box out, all the old material chiselled out then re-sealed. Sorted on the 3rd attempt.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:11 AM
Chris Hope
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my MK 2.5 focus boot leak, after lights out, roof rails off and head lining out, and re fitted, turned out to be the joins in all the panels near the hinges on the boot lid, I used some clear sealant something like Stixall, cured the problem. I have just got a leak in front passenger footwell, let the world know how i get on with that if and when i sort it.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:34 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

These cars are horrendous for boot leaks really poor quality. I’ve just fixed my st for the same fault I had a few attempts then got pissed off with it and sealed everything I could find on google about them leaking. I removed the rear bumper and sealed the air vents and the plastic clips that the 2 8mm bumper bolts screw into. I removed the rear lights sealed the wire grommets and the 2 rubber grommets under the rear lights that do nothing. Also again sealed the plastic clips that the rear lights screw into. I then masked up either side of all the panel seams around the boot area and the boot hinges and sealed them. Also lifted the roof rails and sealed all the cracks I could see. I used tiger seal as my cars black luckily. Mine doesn’t leak anymore and we have had some very heavy rail. Also fitted a new boot seal

Last edited by ajamesc; 11-03-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:53 PM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

I've been having a wet drivers footwell now. Had the wipers, wiper motor and scuttle panel off and loads of cracks in the seam sealant were found. All dug out and re-sealed. Then it still leaked. A new crack found that wasn't there the first time. Sealed that. Now it seems ok but still a bit wet. Not sure if it just normal damp / sweating or its still leaking.

Passenger side was the same, seam sealant cracks.

Boot … no idea where but sealed the light holes and all the seams in that area and the boot hinge pockets. Been dry but a but paranoid that if I clean it, I will disturb it and it will leak again.
Old 20-12-2020, 05:10 PM
Mcharman96
Virgin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have fixed the footwell and boot water issues.

Hi,

I was experiencing this problem of lots of water in the boot in the spare wheel compartment, which had caused my back seats to become damp. And also a puddle of water in the passenger side rear and front foot wells, but I found a video on YouTube where the issue was identified as water leaking in behind the rear light.
See the following link -

I hope this helps, was a much better option than paying Ford £120 an hour which they quoted me.
The following users liked this post:
Vishal Shanker (06-03-2021)