Ford Focus Range This Section Contains All The Ford Focus Model Specific Forums.

:wall:Alternator Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 12:16 PM
focus on ford
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default :wall:Alternator Problem?

Hi I would just like to ask, if any members have had any on going problems with their Alternator? I have a focus 02, and have had on going problems with my Alternator. I have just been told by the RAC. That my current Alternator is not working also. This is the 3rd one I have in the past 4 month. It's not a new one, but a recondition at a cost of £95.00 a time. I was just wondering is there a reason for this or just dodgy Alternators? What your view on this issue Paul .
Old 04-11-2017, 12:18 PM
focus on ford

Default Alternator Problem?

Hi I would just like to ask, if any members have had any on going problems with their Alternator? I have a focus 02, and have had on going problems with my Alternator. I have just been told by the RAC. That my current Alternator is not working also. This is the 3rd one I have in the past 4 month. It's not a new one, but a recondition at a cost of £95.00 a time. I was just wondering is there a reason for this or just dodgy Alternators? What your view on this issue Paul.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:58 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

No point asking the same questions on a different thread. Have you tried what I suggested in your other thread?
Old 04-11-2017, 04:42 PM
focus on ford

Hi Richie I have look at the plug and all look's OK, The only reason why I posted the same question on the focus page was just in case a focus owner looks at their part only.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

My alternator was playing up but it turned out to be a bad engine Earth, it might be worth checking the Earth and cleaning the connection (this was on my cossie, not a focus)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Unplug the wiring plug, start it up, then check for voltage across the battery. If you now have 14v, the alternator is ok and you have duff wiring/ecu.

I think it's highly unlikely you've been supplied a string of duff alternators.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:50 AM
focus on ford

Hi Richie when the RAC came out he tested the alternator and the out put was 9 volts from the alternator. But I think I have been give the wrong infor from the Auto Electrician. As he said there was something wrong with my 2nd Alternator as it was giving out 14 volts. But going off what the member say this is the norm. I think what was wrong back then was I was I replaced my old battery, with a acid battery. Not known that I need a calcium battery. 1st Alternator just come to the end of it's life as it would have been 12 years old 2nd more likely battery fault but advised to replace both the alternator and battery. which I have and this is my 3rd alternator. I have check the wires and they look OK to me, but I will have them check out by someone who know about cars to double check. Thats me up to date. Bet your thinking "wish I never reply". Just thought I would ask if anything could have been causing this to happening. Their has been some said just to remove the plug from the alternator and it would just go as normal alternator and not a smart charge. But is this safe to do so LONG TERM and is there any down side by doing so? Paul.

Last edited by focus on ford; 05-11-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:10 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

No downsides other than the battery light will constantly be on. You will however need to make sure the alternator is definitely outputting 14v with it disconnected.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:32 PM
focus on ford

So It would have to be 14 volts. If it was 12 volts would I be right in thinking that the battery would slowly draine down? thanks Paul.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 AM
focus on ford

UPDATE on my Battery / alternator issue. Battery is 15 volts at idle and 13.5 under load. the alternator test with the plug remover output 14.9. Garage said that all looks fine as there is 15 volt output from the alternator and the battery is showing 13.5 under-load, Do any of the members have any advice? I will remove the plug from the alternator as some of you have said would help, But is there any thing else I can do? thanks ALL Paul.

Last edited by focus on ford; 06-11-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:00 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

That sounds about right to me. As long as you have more than 12v with it running, leave that plug alone.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:52 PM
focus on ford

Thanks for your help RICHIE. I just leave it unplugged thanks Paul.