Ford Focus Range This Section Contains All The Ford Focus Model Specific Forums.

Turbo Oil bolt problem update : would this work to solve the problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 04:11 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turbo Oil bolt problem update : would this work to solve the problem ?

Hello

As several of you may know I have been stuck on this bolt for about 1 week now and have spent around 50 hours in that time trying to get this bolt tight.

I wish to thank everybody who has helped and gave advice in my problematic situation of not being able to get the turbo bolt (top bolt at rear of engine)on tight enough because of no space either side to get a spanner or any other sorts of tools on this turbo oil feed bolt

An old friend of mine came to have a look (he's about 63- 65, I am 25) and he too agreed it was very difficult to get to, just before he left he had an idea. the bolt is hexagon shaped, he says he will take the bolt home with him tonight and cut thin groove into it, that way we can put a screwdriver in the grooves and turn it or hit the screwdriver that is in the groove with a hammer.

I think it is a real good idea and am hoping it will work, please tell me you think it will ?

thanks
Old 02-02-2017, 04:24 PM
wayne1001
Part of the Furniture

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLife91
Hello

As several of you may know I have been stuck on this bolt for about 1 week now and have spent around 50 hours in that time trying to get this bolt tight.

I wish to thank everybody who has helped and gave advice in my problematic situation of not being able to get the turbo bolt (top bolt at rear of engine)on tight enough because of no space either side to get a spanner or any other sorts of tools on this turbo oil feed bolt

An old friend of mine came to have a look (he's about 63- 65, I am 25) and he too agreed it was very difficult to get to, just before he left he had an idea. the bolt is hexagon shaped, he says he will take the bolt home with him tonight and cut thin groove into it, that way we can put a screwdriver in the grooves and turn it or hit the screwdriver that is in the groove with a hammer.

I think it is a real good idea and am hoping it will work, please tell me you think it will ?

thanks
in logic it could work but also weaken the bolt and run the risk of it splitting if over tightened.
what have you got to loose now
if it doesn't work just buy the original pipe from ford and follow the advise previously and removed some bits to gain access
Old 02-02-2017, 06:28 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

There isnt any need to cut a groove. A good screwdriver or chisel will tap it round anyway.

But seriously, how many fucking threads do you need for the same problem ?

And that bodged together oil feed with rubber hose and worm drive clips is a recipe for fire.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:08 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

^^

The box in question is the actuator, if acces to the circlip at the bottom that connects it to the turbo isn't possible it looks possible to remove bolts to remove the bracket as per these pictures....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252467500206

The bracket needs taking off and proper access gained to the bolt to tighten it properly, your not going to tighten it enough with a screwdriver and are more than likely going to break something if you put enough force onto the slots or screwdriver to tighten it properly.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:19 PM
wayne1001
Part of the Furniture

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
^^

The box in question is the actuator, if acces to the circlip at the bottom that connects it to the turbo isn't possible it looks possible to remove bolts to remove the bracket as per these pictures....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252467500206

The bracket needs taking off and proper access gained to the bolt to tighten it properly, your not going to tighten it enough with a screwdriver and are more than likely going to break something if you put enough force onto the slots or screwdriver to tighten it properly.
good man that explains it perfectly and you can see how that bracket will come off now
Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
There isnt any need to cut a groove. A good screwdriver or chisel will tap it round anyway.

But seriously, how many fucking threads do you need for the same problem ?

And that bodged together oil feed with rubber hose and worm drive clips is a recipe for fire.
A lot of us have been into cars, bikes and engines for a long time and have a lot more experience than this guy and no doubt would have sorted it out fairly easily but if you are not confident and have a lack of mechanical expertise it can be a nightmare. Give him a break!
The following users liked this post:
FastLife91 (03-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Sierrasideways
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

From my own LITTLE limited experience with my Cossie (I'm not a mechanic), if I spent more than a day at something and still couldn't get it right then just find the cash some way and take it to a mechanic i.e. a pro that is bolloxing with spanners, nuts and bolts day in, day out. It is not giving in, sometimes you just need to take a step back and chill out and just say enough is enough. Fair play to you for giving it 50 hours, seriously, but someone in the know might educate you on the procedure how to do it correctly and easily. Plenty of clever helpful, knowledgeable guys on here so maybe take their advice and take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Philip.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

It's like Jim Galbally the 2nd
Old 02-02-2017, 09:52 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

50 hours to tighten up one hose union, that will need taking off again soon enough as it's leaking where it's been bodged together?

Just take it to someone who knows what they are doing with a new, unbodged pipe and they will most likely have it done in minutes.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:35 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by cossynut2
A lot of us have been into cars, bikes and engines for a long time and have a lot more experience than this guy and no doubt would have sorted it out fairly easily but if you are not confident and have a lack of mechanical expertise it can be a nightmare. Give him a break!
I personally think if your not confident to work on a vehicle then u shouldn't attempt it. I don't touch household boilers or electrics because I'm not confident I won't kill myself or someone else. The amount of vehicles that come into my work from people who have "had a go" puts a chill up my spine that they were driving this on the roads.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by gcfcos
I personally think if your not confident to work on a vehicle then u shouldn't attempt it. I don't touch household boilers or electrics because I'm not confident I won't kill myself or someone else. The amount of vehicles that come into my work from people who have "had a go" puts a chill up my spine that they were driving this on the roads.
Hello there friend.

As I say I am not a qualified mechanic but over recent months I have followed up procedures mainly from the internet and even at times just used my common sense and have completed jobs successfully saving hundreds of pounds.
I could have attempted removing everything to tighten this nut but It would probably take me over a week to do.
I would have just got a new pipe but the problem would remain the same, how to tighten the bolt enough.

Anyway my friend came back today after altering the bolt, he has cut slots into ti so it is now like cog-shaped, and it is now onto the car very tight but I have not started the car due to the battery being flat, I will start car tomorrow but this really should be the end of the problem, the pipe is on solid.
do you have any thoughts on this ?
Old 03-02-2017, 06:40 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Sierrasideways
From my own LITTLE limited experience with my Cossie (I'm not a mechanic), if I spent more than a day at something and still couldn't get it right then just find the cash some way and take it to a mechanic i.e. a pro that is bolloxing with spanners, nuts and bolts day in, day out. It is not giving in, sometimes you just need to take a step back and chill out and just say enough is enough. Fair play to you for giving it 50 hours, seriously, but someone in the know might educate you on the procedure how to do it correctly and easily. Plenty of clever helpful, knowledgeable guys on here so maybe take their advice and take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Philip.
Hello there friend.

As I say I am not a qualified mechanic but over recent months I have followed up procedures mainly from the internet and even at times just used my common sense and have completed jobs successfully saving hundreds of pounds.
I could have attempted removing everything to tighten this nut but It would probably take me over a week to do.
I would have just got a new pipe but the problem would remain the same, how to tighten the bolt enough.

Anyway my friend came back today after altering the bolt, he has cut slots into ti so it is now like cog-shaped, and it is now onto the car very tight but I have not started the car due to the battery being flat, I will start car tomorrow but this really should be the end of the problem, the pipe is on solid.
do you have any thoughts on this ?
Old 03-02-2017, 11:24 PM
ray barker

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

yes. keep your fingers crossed and every thing els
Old 04-02-2017, 08:45 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Fastlife 91 . What I would say is, learn from this and as others have said sometimes it is better with such a fiddly job to accept that it is beyond your skills and get a qualified mechanic to do it. No shame in it at all and you could have saved yourself the grief this has caused you.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:56 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Give him a break ? He's dong dangerous shit that's likely to burn his car out ?

What do you want me to do, pat him on the back and say it's a great job ?
Old 04-02-2017, 08:15 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by ray barker
yes. keep your fingers crossed and every thing els
Fastlife 91 . What I would say is, learn from this and as others have said sometimes it is better with such a fiddly job to accept that it is beyond your skills and get a qualified mechanic to do it. No shame in it at all and you could have saved yourself the grief this has caused you.
Give him a break ? He's dong dangerous shit that's likely to burn his car out ?

What do you want me to do, pat him on the back and say it's a great job ?

thanks for your reply.

I am going to take your advice and will get a new turbo oil feed pipe but am going to wait until next week as I need to use the car but this altered bolt on the turbo pipe should do until then.

SO I am going to get a new turbo pipe, does the whole turbo and egr e.t.c. have to be removed or is it a quick job ?
the car is a 2006 mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 TDCI

Can you also please post a photo of the pipe for my car , there are 2 types apparently but mine is a long thin metal type, I cannot picture what it looks like as it has been botched up and I never saw the original before it was cut or anything.

thanks
Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 AM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

Does this picture help?

https://goo.gl/images/yyrjDr
Old 05-02-2017, 09:05 PM
ray barker

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

ive just sent him a pm.did the boj sort it. me and the wife need to no its like whatching a soap i need my fix
The following 2 users liked this post by ray barker:
FastLife91 (06-02-2017), Rowe (07-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 09:10 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Apparently not, on one of his many other threads he mentioned that it pissed out of his jubilee fitting, so all has to come off again anyway
Old 06-02-2017, 03:36 AM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

i'd not risk driving it from the sounds of things its just going to end up being dangerous and injuring someone. Get it done right and save yourself big issues in the future when something catches fire or worse.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:31 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by RichieST
Apparently not, on one of his many other threads he mentioned that it pissed out of his jubilee fitting, so all has to come off again anyway
thank you for your reply.

Well my friend put the bolt on solid but battery was flat when we went to start the car, I started the car next day and no leaks from bolts but it leaked from jubilee fitting. It leaked further in and therefore I thought the reinforced hose was leaking so took it all apart and cut the bit off as it was right near the end, put it back on to notice it leaking further in and realised that it was leaking from the jubilee clip but running along the pipe underneath and then leaking off, so I put 2 clips on the reinforced hose and no leaks from the hose but it took me ages to get the bolt tight again, now I have only just sorted it, no leaks from pipe or bolt !

thank you
Old 06-02-2017, 12:33 PM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

Next post "How do i stop the flames in my engine bay?"
The following 3 users liked this post by haz87:
FastLife91 (07-02-2017), Rowe (07-02-2017), stevieturbo (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 05:16 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by haz87
Next post "How do i stop the flames in my engine bay?"
Hello, thank you very much for your kind response.

I do hope that will not happen and I cannot see why it would.

thanks again.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:24 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Hmmm..let me think, oil on a hot turbo...naaaa, that would never cause a fire.

Holy good fuck.

And admin.

Will somebody seriously do something about this Muppet who has literally spammed the entire forum with problems with the same fucking car, which in all fairness we would all be happier if it did go up in flames, as he isnt listening to a single fucking word !

And not one of the queries are in the Focus or the technical section !

Last edited by stevieturbo; 07-02-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:57 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Hmmm..let me think, oil on a hot turbo...naaaa, that would never cause a fire.

Holy good fuck.

And admin.

Will somebody seriously do something about this Muppet who has literally spammed the entire forum with problems with the same fucking car, which in all fairness we would all be happier if it did go up in flames, as he isnt listening to a single fucking word !

And not one of the queries are in the Focus or the technical section !

hello friend, thanks for your advice.

The car is no longer leaking oil and is now properly secured

where am I able to find the focus section, please send the link if you don't mind.

thanks again
Old 07-02-2017, 06:08 PM
Rowe
Skint

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Brilliant hahahahaha
Old 07-02-2017, 06:14 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Anywhere far far far from here
Old 07-02-2017, 07:25 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLife91
hello friend, thanks for your advice.

The car is no longer leaking oil and is now properly secured

where am I able to find the focus section, please send the link if you don't mind.

thanks again

It's not leaking because it's run out...

Ford Focus owners club - Goodbye

http://www.ffoc.co.uk/forum/

Last edited by slammedorion; 07-02-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:31 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

How is it this morning or is the battery still on charge?