Ford Focus Range This Section Contains All The Ford Focus Model Specific Forums.

In your opinion how much do you think for the following list of repairs at a garage ?

Old 28-01-2017, 09:02 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default In your opinion how much do you think for the following list of repairs at a garage ?

I know I should ask a garage, I just want to know what you guy's think so as I know if they offer a fair price.

A friend of mine is looking at getting a car the same as mine, mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 TDCI. It is up as spares or repair and he wants to know what a garage will charge approx to do the repairs, the car is going rather cheaply.

It needs

. radiator
.glow plugs
.thermostat
.both front steering arms (tie rods)
both front track rod ends
rear brake discs
rear brake pads
front offside wheel bearing
front nearside cv joint gaiter
battery

what is thew approximate price a garage would want to replace the above components ? he is in the north west region of England if that is of any help.

cheers
Old 28-01-2017, 10:15 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLife91
I know I should ask a garage, I just want to know what you guy's think so as I know if they offer a fair price.

A friend of mine is looking at getting a car the same as mine, mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 TDCI. It is up as spares or repair and he wants to know what a garage will charge approx to do the repairs, the car is going rather cheaply.

It needs

. radiator
.glow plugs
.thermostat
rear brake discs
rear brake pads
battery

what is thew approximate price a garage would want to replace the above components ? he is in the north west region of England if that is of any help.

cheers
Your question is a hard one to answer. It depends on if he takes it to a Ford Main Dealer who will use genuine Ford parts and will probably be the most expensive or if he takes it to a smaller independent garage who may use pattern parts to keep costs down.
The hourly rate will again vary quite a bit between them.
Another option is for him to buy all the parts himself from the best priced places he can find and just get the garage to fit them.
The following users liked this post:
FastLife91 (28-01-2017)
Old 28-01-2017, 10:28 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

For all that work if u can't do it yourself I wouldn't bother mate. Has money pit written all over that!
FastLife91 (28-01-2017)
Old 28-01-2017, 10:32 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Your question is a hard one to answer. It depends on if he takes it to a Ford Main Dealer who will use genuine Ford parts and will probably be the most expensive or if he takes it to a smaller independent garage who may use pattern parts to keep costs down.
The hourly rate will again vary quite a bit between them.
Another option is for him to buy all the parts himself from the best priced places he can find and just get the garage to fit them.
Well I haven't mentioned anything to him yet but I am thinking of offering him my services, I'd replace all the above for £200 (not including parts), is that a fair price for him ?

cheers

Last edited by FastLife91; 28-01-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 28-01-2017, 10:33 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by gcfcos
For all that work if u can't do it yourself I wouldn't bother mate. Has money pit written all over that!
I'm actually thinking of offering him my services, I'd ask for £200 for my labour (not including parts) , do you think that is a fair price for him ?

thank you
Old 28-01-2017, 10:39 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It needs

. radiator
.glow plugs
.thermostat
rear brake discs
rear brake pads
battery

cheers
i live in west cornwall i recon its best part of 300/400 just in parts pattern ones it best part of a days work down this way small garages charge about 40 pounds an hour so that at eight hours be weary of the themostat its never just as simple as the stat
FastLife91 (28-01-2017)
Old 28-01-2017, 11:23 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

Wheel bearings are Gen2, special tooling should be used.
FastLife91 (28-01-2017)
Old 28-01-2017, 11:25 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by studabear
Wheel bearings are Gen2, special tooling should be used.
Hi

I would take the hub to a garage and ask them to press out and press in the new bearing, I realise how difficult they are to press out/in, definitely worth paying a garage £10- £20 to do that bit !

thanks
Old 28-01-2017, 11:27 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by ray barker
i live in west cornwall i recon its best part of 300/400 just in parts pattern ones it best part of a days work down this way small garages charge about 40 pounds an hour so that at eight hours be weary of the themostat its never just as simple as the stat

Thank you for your reply. I assumed around the same sort of price. I hope he won't be too offended when I ask for £200 labour if I go ahead and do the work for him.

thank you
Old 28-01-2017, 11:29 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

They don't go in using a normal press, its a dedicated kit that lets you do them on the car.
Old 29-01-2017, 10:09 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Well I haven't mentioned anything to him yet but I am thinking of offering him my services, I'd replace all the above for £200 (not including parts), is that a fair price for him ?

cheers
I think that would be a very fair price for all the work involved.

Search this Thread