Ford Focus Range This Section Contains All The Ford Focus Model Specific Forums.

Do you think it's true that the head gasket on my car has gone ? please help

Search this Thread

Old 27-01-2017, 07:40 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do you think it's true that the head gasket on my car has gone ? please help

A garage diagnosed a bad head gasket on my car 2 days after I bought it. (warranty wise paid) later found out HG does not appear to have been replaced.

Car is a 2006 mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 tdci

few months back someone replaced a rad hose, didn't put it back on correctly and during driving I noticed it overheat, had not been driving too long. about 6 months later I began having problems.
I notice drop in water level, no leaks found. had a chemical test done, changed colour indication failed HG. (I'm wondering if it picked up on last time HG went shortly after buying car, if it actually did)

Since then the radiator leaked so I replaced it, 2 rubber rad hoses leaked, and a metal cooling pipe burst. top rad hose feel's rather hard imo. when removing rad cap pressure seems high imo.

Other than that, I see no oil/water mix, no power loss, no smoke (even in cold weather), and it has been over 15 months since diagnosis.

any thoughts on this ??

thanks all

(I'd get Hg replaced if it needs it but experiencing other problems too and not sure it'd be worth it , )

Last edited by FastLife91; 27-01-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 27-01-2017, 10:22 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

oil/water mix is usually bullshit.

But the fact you're blowing hoses etc....would be an indication of too much pressure in the system, for whatever reason.

So the obvious thing to do...would be to test what pressure is in the system, on top of the other usual tests for impending HG doom. Both sniffer and litmus type tests.

then take from that whether there is a potential leak from combustion into the cooling system, whether from HG or other.
Old 28-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Also, if you think the hg wasn't changed when the warranty paid out you should speak to their fraud team, people go to prison for insurance fraud and the warranty company would be all over it.