Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

1.8 mk1.5 2003 Focus LX misfiring under load

Search this Thread

Old 22-12-2016, 12:58 PM
eastonch
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8 mk1.5 2003 Focus LX misfiring under load

Hi All,

First post, please be gentle!

Picked up a 1.8 Focus 2003 5dr on Tuesday and noticed a problem on my way home, whilst I was there test driving it it was fine - no knocks, bangs, rattles or power issues. It had an EML that was said to be for an o2 sensor replaced.

I noticed when I put my foot down to join the motorway the car started misfiring, when I got back I hooked up OBD2 and saw:

Misfire on 3 (P0303?)

Front Impact Sensor
Pre-tensioner fired
(I'm guessing this was previously in an accident...)

My first thoughts were MAF, so I hooked my OBD2 an watched the MAF reading, seems stable and consistent to my other 1.8 focus (2000). Intake air temp was fluctuating wildly between -18 and +15 now and again - but not at the time of the misfire - This seems to have settled down since? Indicator that the sensor is failing?

I took it out for a drive today from cold, been absolutely fine until the engine had warmed up, power down and it's misfiring again - OBD2 program ForScan on Android is flagging misfires everytime I put some foot down. I can slowly build up revs and it's usually fine, the odd jerk.

Idling is fine, doesnt miss if it's idle, even idle revs, just when in-gear and whilst under engine load.

My experience tells me to check the Coil pack, Sparks & Leads, but was wondering if anybody else had these issues or experience? Just before I head out and go buy unnecessary parts :P

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Chris
Old 06-01-2017, 05:29 PM
mgmidget

change plugs and leads first fella, see if its still thereafter changed them if its not bonus if it is change the pack but clean up all the earth wires and the cradle what the pack sits on as the connection for the earth is underneath the pack where the bolts go thru
Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 PM
eastonch
Virgin

Originally Posted by mgmidget
change plugs and leads first fella, see if its still thereafter changed them if its not bonus if it is change the pack but clean up all the earth wires and the cradle what the pack sits on as the connection for the earth is underneath the pack where the bolts go thru
Cheers mate, I swapped the HT leads over from the other (written off) focus I have at the moment, I noticed it didnt do it at all after that, I swapped it back to be sure, and still can't notice it.

One thing that I did notice, the battery was a 063 when it's meant to be a 075 size. Had it tested, holding 120A out of it's rated 300A. Swapped with the other focus battery, 075 holding 380/500 and it's been fine since.

Just got some replacement headlight units to fit now, current ones are pissing in water.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:23 PM
mgmidget

shoot better check my battery then lol
Old 07-01-2017, 01:28 PM
eastonch
Virgin

Originally Posted by mgmidget
shoot better check my battery then lol
Halfords will sort you a free test on battery, I had the alternator and starter checked too to be sure.

Heard that the HT leads should have some white grease on there as an insulator on both ends, seems to be a common trend amongst the Zetec and -E models with rough running. (Premex Dielectric, but spray silicone should do the same to prevent water, dirt and dust ingress)

*fingers crossed* everything is sorted RE: misfire. Will keep this updated if it comes back & I figure it out.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:55 PM
mgmidget

battery is wrong type on mine lol should be a calcium battery whats the difference? alternator pushing 13.7 volts not bad lol
Old 22-01-2017, 10:14 PM
eastonch
Virgin

Pretty sure mine is a Ford Silver Calcium 075 Size 500A.

Only the 1.8's and above need the 075 if memory serves me right.. - 063 on 1.6's (petrols, mind. the Diesels need 075+)

Anyway, no issues with misfiring since it's relearned after air filter replacement. Running about what i'd expect. I noticed a bunch of oiley gunk on the bellhousing, a key sign of a rear crank seal or a d/s seal. Hoping it's engine oil and I can deal with it rather than transmission fluid.

There's also a whole bunch of rusty, ugly looking parts on the front and rear of the car, driver chassis leg is looking ugly, may be able to "protect it" at best. Nothing looks urgent though... Hope it survives the miles i'm going to be putting on it.
Old 23-01-2017, 02:38 PM
mgmidget

arghhhhhh lol inner tie rod and droplinks busted and steering rack rack crunching new rack i think and 3 tyres lol not bad for a car that was given to me with a dead engine lol