Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

Focus MK1 - Engine swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 23-01-2016, 04:46 PM
mah
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Focus MK1 - Engine swap problems

Hello there!

So, I have a 1.4(had) 4/2001 FoFo and I swapped the engine for a 1.6 1999 Zetec silvertop engine. I've got some problems now, hope you can help me fix them.

The first problem was that it had rather high idle rpm's(around 1400) because of the different idle control valve.(Ford changed the shape 7/2000) OK, no problem, bought the right one.

The idle rpm are now fine, but are a bit choppy and are going up and down for just a little bit(>50) just enough that the engine is not running smoothly. The problem is that sometimes the engine is just turning itself down(rarely) or when you are driving and you press the clutch because you need to stop and when you indeed stop the engine cuts off.(extremely common)

Here is the fun part. If you want to turn it back on you have to be very lucky that, when you are starting the engine (key in position III) that the ENGINE light doesn't lit up, if it does you cant start engine unless you are repeadetly pressing the gas pedal until its gone. Then the next attempt the engine starts.(SOMETIMES even that doesn't help and the only way to start it again, is to disconnect the battery and reconnect)

After many attemps to fix this, I have connected the car to a computer and the computer reported 3 errors:
1.Intake Air Temperature Sensor
2.Mass Air Flow Sensor
3.Return gases (don't know if thats the right name for it, the thing that is in the upper left corner)

So my questions are how to fix them? Where is the IAT Sensor, did my 1.4 had him ? My 1.4 did not have a MAF Sensor do I have a connector for him ?
For the return gases my 1.4 have a black box and the 1.6 did not have that. Do I need to remove this ?

And what to do with the engine light? Is this because of the three errors ?

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by mah; 23-01-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 25-01-2016, 09:00 PM
mah
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so what I did found out is that my 1.4 had a MAP sensor and this 1.6 had a MAF sensor, but because I use the 1.6 inlet manifold I don't have anymore the MAP nor the MAF sensor. What would be the best now, to install back the 1.4 computer with the 1.4 inlet and the idle control valve or buy the MAF sensor and install it? But do I have a connector for a MAF ? Would it be also doable to buy a 1.6 computer who had not a MAF sensor ??

The black box in the upper left corner, I found out that thats a evap system. Should that be connected or should I use that from the 1.6 who has just a small black connector there?

Any help is appreciated!