Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

Focus MK1 pats/new key/programming questions

Search this Thread

Old 27-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Twizz
Out of many, we are one.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Focus MK1 pats/new key/programming questions

Ive got a 1999 Ford Focus Zetec 1.8TDDi which i'm wanting to program another key to the ECU.

Now I've been told and read that I need two keys coded to the ECU before you can program one yourself, and to get a second one coded will set me back about £150 via Fords (as they have to wipe the keys off the ECU, then reprogram the original plus the "second" one back to it)

Here's where I have uncertainties. The Focus had an engine swap (along with the matching ecu and immobiliser part of the key) a few years ago. I was supplied with two keys, one three button type and one with the "blue" pats chip in the top.

The locks on my Focus remained the same so we pulled the "new" button key apart and reconnected the existing blade to the new buttons.

I've been using that for the last 3/4 years but now I'm thinking I need another key cut incase something happens.

If you remember I said I had another key with the blue chip but after checking online it's evident that in 99% of the times the glass pats bit under the plastic breaks when you try and remove it so that's off the cards.

I'm unsure of the sequence I have to do to program a key to the ECU but id imagine you would need to present each key and follow a specific sequence before adding a new key?

Here's where I'm seeking help. Can I not split the button key again therefore I'd have the blade and the pats (button part) of the key, then insert the blade and hold the pats part next to the key, do the sequence, then remove both the blade and the pats/button part. That's key #1 done.

Then im thinking to insert the blade AGAIN but this time place the complete blue chip key next to it (as that has the blade from the doner focus so cant use the blade) and follow the sequence again? That would be key #2 done?

Once that's done I can present the new key and do the final sequence and away I go? As long as the blade has been cut obviously.

Hopefully someone can shed some light and thank you for reading/your responses in advance.
Old 27-01-2013, 11:10 AM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

according to autodata cd you have to obtain all keys fasten all seat belts ane close all doors,turn ignition from 1 to 2 four times in 6 seconds,turn ignition to 1,should have now entered programming mode for 10 seconds,press and hold lock,unlock or boot release until a tone is heard indicating correct key programed,then turn key to position 3 to exit programming mode hope this helps
Old 27-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Twizz
Out of many, we are one.

Right so then I don't actually need to put all the keys in?

The key which I have to use, does it have to be an existing one or new one?
Old 27-01-2013, 03:36 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

it has to be the old one to enter the program mode then press the button on the new one to code it ,please note I am only going off the autodata cd but it has never been wrong yet
Old 27-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Ben-B
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Done this on my Mk1.5 Focus when I got a flipkey.

Originally had, which we got new with the car:
- ONE 3-button key (http://simplelistings.co.uk/site/ima...ll-preview.jpg)
- ONE non-remote key (http://www.remotekey.co.uk/images/ford-keys.jpg)

To programme the REMOTE, you only need one key.

You use the main 3-button fob, turn it from off to position 2 (ignition on, but not to start) and do that 4 times quickly... then you'll hear a fonejacker-style "booop". This means its accessed the programming mode.

Press a button on ALL fobs you want to programme. So the key in the ignition, and the new key. Each fob you press, another beep noise will sound. Turn key to off to end programme mode.

These keys will now open/lock the car on the button. They WON'T start the engine.

For the TRANSPONDER KEY (which WILL start the engine), you need 2 programmed keys. You can then add a 3rd/4th/5th one... but you must add ALL keys every time, or they will be wiped and need reprogramming. Great if you lose a key or it gets stolen, not great if you just forget to programme one key.

Again, get programmed Key 1, enter the Programming mode as before.
Get Key 2, enter Programming mode.
Get Unprogrammed Key (1), enter Programming mode.
Repeat as necessary with all unprogrammed keys.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Ben-B; 27-01-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 27-01-2013, 04:25 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

This procedure may also work for programming new keys to the immobiliser.

PATS System II:

This system hasn't got a red key, instead it needs already programmed keys to access programming mode.
  • Insert the first already programmed key into the ignition and turn to position II
  • Turn back to 0 and remove the key
  • Insert the second already programmed key into the ignition and turn to position II
  • Key programming mode is now activated and you have ten seconds to:
  • Insert the unprogrammed new key into the ignition and turn to position II
  • Allow 10 seconds to pass for the system to exit programming mode.
Old 27-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Twizz
Out of many, we are one.

Thanks guys! Ben that's exactly what ive got although the blue chip key hasn't got the "correct" blade as its from the donor.

Using that sequence, do you think I'd be able to just use the blade on the button key and fool the ecu into thinking it's "another" key?

Also, what flip key did you buy?
Old 27-01-2013, 06:46 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

it shouldn't make any difference. Get a new key cut then program it with the instructions above. The only thing the actual key bit does is turn the ignition barrel, the immobiliser doesn't care what one it is, just so long as it recognises the chip!
Old 19-02-2013, 04:07 PM
steffs234
Virgin

Hi i have a 2002 focus 1.8 16v and my button key fob buttons are broke and have only one key for the car and want two could i change ignition barrel and locks and remote control box i have taken out of another car that has both keys one with the fob the other with blue chip or do i still need this programed into the ecu.... many thanks
Old 19-02-2013, 04:11 PM
steffs234
Virgin

Originally Posted by RichieST
it shouldn't make any difference. Get a new key cut then program it with the instructions above. The only thing the actual key bit does is turn the ignition barrel, the immobiliser doesn't care what one it is, just so long as it recognises the chip!
I tried this with mine 2002 focus ghia the fob registerd fine unlock lock etc but would not take immboliser off so i transfered the transponder glass and that worked fine
Old 17-11-2013, 07:20 PM
jam53ice
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to pull up an old thread but I only have one key for my car, so how would i go about programming a second?
Old 07-07-2016, 10:25 AM
hairgoneJohn
Virgin

Default Four key limit- deleting remotes

Hi

I believe that only four keys can be programmed at any one time for a ford. I have just got a new key and programmed it. This seems to erase the other key from the system ( doors, not immobiliser). If I then reprogram the original key then the new one gets deleted.

This suggests that a previous owner has programmed additional keys over the years and the four key limit has been reached.

Does anyone know how to delete all keys so that I can start again. The car is a 2003 streetka.

thanks
Old 13-09-2018, 05:45 AM
hairyford

my 2011 fiesta only came with one key/fob,the trick is hairgonejohn,have both keys in car,with the one that works,turn on/off 3/4 times till u hear the bleep,press a button on both keys,so they programme at the same time,then turn the key on/off again till u hear the bleep,then both keys should be programmed.
doing one at a time will wipe the other out,so u gotta do both at the same time

Last edited by hairyford; 13-09-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 13-09-2018, 11:49 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by hairyford
my 2011 fiesta only came with one key/fob,the trick is hairgonejohn,have both keys in car,with the one that works,turn on/off 3/4 times till u hear the bleep,press a button on both keys,so they programme at the same time,then turn the key on/off again till u hear the bleep,then both keys should be programmed.
doing one at a time will wipe the other out,so u gotta do both at the same time
After 2 and a bit years, I hope he has this sorted
Old 13-09-2018, 12:19 PM
hairyford

Originally Posted by RichieST
After 2 and a bit years, I hope he has this sorted
never even noticed the date,more like 5 and a half years,eeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkk