Ford Focus Range This Section Contains All The Ford Focus Model Specific Forums.

Bonnet will not open?

Search this Thread

Old 18-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Greg55
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonnet will not open?

Hello All New guy here

Looking for some help in how to get the bonnet open? I have a 55 plate focus and the key turns all the way to the left and right but dose not engage?
I have tried pushing the lock in as suggested in other threads on here but still no luck? can anyone tell me how to get in to the bonnet? and is there any pics of how to get in?

Many thanks Greg
Old 18-04-2012, 01:48 PM
7sean7m7
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

We had this problem on my dad's ST, in the end we had to jack the front up, undo the 3 bolts for the lock and then get it open that way, a huge ball ache..

I read something about it's a safety thing so you only have to push the bonnet down too hard and the plastic tube snaps and jams the lock to prevent theft.

Now we have to use an archery arrow to push into the metal wire and turn it that way

Or you could just go to ford and buy one but we couldn't be bothered. There might be another way, but that was the only way we could find at the time!

Hope this helps somehow
Old 18-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Straight_4_N/a

you have to turn it left then turn it right then hold it there then stick your hand inbertween the bonnet and grill and pull the leaver up (while still holding the key right)

(sorry im half asleep so my brains not making sense of things at the min, in on night shifts and anit slept since yestarday)

if your problem is the lock its self is jammed, im going to have to have a think about how to get in anther way for you without damaging the car.

give me half hour and ill get back to you if thats your problem.....
Old 18-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Greg55
Virgin

Originally Posted by 7sean7m7
We had this problem on my dad's ST, in the end we had to jack the front up, undo the 3 bolts for the lock and then get it open that way, a huge ball ache..

I read something about it's a safety thing so you only have to push the bonnet down too hard and the plastic tube snaps and jams the lock to prevent theft.

Now we have to use an archery arrow to push into the metal wire and turn it that way

Or you could just go to ford and buy one but we couldn't be bothered. There might be another way, but that was the only way we could find at the time!

Hope this helps somehow
Cheers! Sounds like a tip for Robin Hood lol

So are you saying I can push the thick black wire its self to release the lock?
Or is there something else I need to be aiming for?

Cheers Greg
Old 18-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Greg55
Virgin

Originally Posted by Straight_4_N/a
you have to turn it left then turn it right then hold it there then stick your hand inbertween the bonnet and grill and pull the leaver up (while still holding the key right)

(sorry im half asleep so my brains not making sense of things at the min, in on night shifts and anit slept since yestarday)

if your problem is the lock its self is jammed, im going to have to have a think about how to get in anther way for you without damaging the car.

give me half hour and ill get back to you if thats your problem.....
No Worries I know very well what night shifts do lol

I dont suppose you know how to remove the grill with the bonnet closed?

Cheers Greg
Old 18-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Straight_4_N/a

Hope this helps somehow
i had a thought about that just now but that cant work the lock iirc is covered from the top by the head light rack part (cant think of the correct name lol)
Old 18-04-2012, 02:20 PM
7sean7m7

You cant remove the grill with it shut without hack sawing the clips off Well when we took the lock itself out we didn't put the barrel back in, to it still locks shut but you hate to use like a hook to turn the wire as you would imagine the lock barrel would if you understand what i mean haha..

I'm sure my dad spoke to someone at Ford and they said when they have the cars come in with the same fault they just do what we did remove the lock from the underside.

It might be best just to go and buy a new lock/ barrel from ford once it's out though.

But that would mean you would have a separate key from your main just for the bonnet.
Old 18-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Straight_4_N/a

Originally Posted by Greg55
No Worries I know very well what night shifts do lol

I dont suppose you know how to remove the grill with the bonnet closed?

Cheers Greg

you can't you'll have to jack the car up undo the rad holder lower the rads down out of the way and work on it from under the car.
Old 18-04-2012, 02:21 PM
7sean7m7

Originally Posted by Straight_4_N/a
i had a thought about that just now but that cant work the lock iirc is covered from the top by the head light rack part (cant think of the correct name lol)
You remove the lock from the bottom, it's a massive ball ache and much have hands the size of a japan school girl. But you can do it because i have.
Old 18-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Straight_4_N/a

You remove the lock from the bottom, it's a massive ball ache and much have hands the size of a japan school girl. But you can do it because i have.
yeah i know how i goes together im in the middle of rebuild mine and i fitted the front end last month.

(its most prob because im half sleep)

but here it goes
you got the bonnet latch that goes though the placstic headlight holder into the lock which the lock its self its bolted in place with it beening covered from the top and front of the lock via the plastic headlight holder rack. now what im seeing wrong with what your saying is even if you unbolt the lock its self its still locked onto the bonnet latch and the headlight holder is going to stop you lifting the bonnet up. can you see what i mean
Old 18-04-2012, 02:34 PM
7sean7m7

Yes, but if im honest it was about a year ago. I remember taking the lock out then using the back end or an archery arrow, the like split bit, putting that round the metal wire and twisting it manually to release the bonnet. Now we just use the same method as that, meaning just pushing the arrow onto the wire then turning it as you would with a key kinda thing.

Mate, just take it to ford
Old 18-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Straight_4_N/a

Yes, but if im honest it was about a year ago. I remember taking the lock out then using the back end or an archery arrow, the like split bit, putting that round the metal wire and twisting it manually to release the bonnet. Now we just use the same method as that, meaning just pushing the arrow onto the wire then turning it as you would with a key kinda thing.

Mate, just take it to ford
oh know i not what your getting at

i was going to say do the same thing as you but instead of undoing the bolts leave them in place and get a screw driver and force the lock latch off the bonnet (ive only changed these with the bonnet open lol)

so do what he said above and failing that go to ford.
Old 18-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Greg55
Virgin

Thanks Guys some food for thought there!

I will have a go and report back to you if I have any luck?

Cheers Greg
Old 20-04-2012, 06:37 PM
James998
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

If you're still struggling with this.

Get the car in the air, remove the undershield(s) and unbolt the two 10mm's holding the latch in, pull the latch out towards the engine and open the bonnet, you will break the small white X piece when doing this, but they are the cause of the fault anyway, and if you know how to built them back up, it will only cost you about 40p!

Done dozens of these in work now.
Old 21-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Greg55
Virgin

Originally Posted by James998
If you're still struggling with this.

Get the car in the air, remove the undershield(s) and unbolt the two 10mm's holding the latch in, pull the latch out towards the engine and open the bonnet, you will break the small white X piece when doing this, but they are the cause of the fault anyway, and if you know how to built them back up, it will only cost you about 40p!

Done dozens of these in work now.

Thanks James!

I have a had a good go today by prizing out the grill with out breaking anything! then getting to the 2,10mm blots from the front as i did not have a ramp for good access managed to undo them in the end! replaced the little white bit tested it worked before i put every thing back together, all good topped up oil and screen wash closed bonnet and it still would not work on the key!

I screamed rather loud! lol so I will have another go next week!!!!!

And this time round I will take some pics for future people who have this problem as a picture says a thousand words!!!

Cheers Greg
Old 14-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Rob Watts
Virgin

Any photos for the above please so I get an idea of what Im looking for and what to do as I have the same problem

Ford Focus ST170 2003

Bonnet lock in the 'stuck' position with the key not turning.
Old 14-06-2017, 12:45 PM
Rob Watts
Virgin

What parts of the lock need replacing ... you mention the 'white plastic bits' .. what are these called and where can I get them please? any photos of these?
Old 14-06-2017, 01:52 PM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

get the whole lock kit from ford for around 40, this thread is 5yrs old btw
Old 12-02-2018, 08:31 PM
davej2
Virgin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 years on and this problem still arises , except now we could be talking about a 400 quid banger.

Easiest and Quickest method if bonnet opens partly with left turn of key -

Remove lower watershield -8 torx screws all easy. Reach up and pull lock IN , may have to bend 2 clips back.Using sharp wood chisel from front of partly just open bonnet cut heads off the 6 visible PLASTIC screws holding top of the grill in place - use a hammer. Remove grill by pushing back at bottom to unhook and then whole lot forewards.Using wood chisel through the grill space smash all white plastic away from bonnet catch. , remove white cross section bit - pliers . You can now use a screwdriver to open bonnet.When grill is replaced , use extra self tappers if you like ,you will need a longer screwdriver or bar but you will know what is what by now.
The following users liked this post:
1970NZ Rebel (13-05-2023)