Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

Cosworth ST170, is it true?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 11:05 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

The Sierra is a saloon, so you can't compare them, it was just coincidence that a 3DR model existed and the MK2 was obviously a three box.

I think the MK2 RS is a better looking car (especially in ultimate green) it's also featured the lovely modular 5 pot, unlike it's successor.

Powerwise the CTR is not far short of the FRS and both are hot hatches.

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 04-06-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 17-01-2019, 04:16 PM
Pete Lego st170
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default st cosworth

there were a couple badged t230 t250 theres a lad on here with one of each with white chequers on rear quarters ...spec is err mad to say least .. as for standered st 170 cosworthh did have a hand ..specially with the cat .. that, and im in two minds was designed by em and meant to be better than a decat .... theres a big thread on facebook st 170 owners club ... theres also the usa version 2.3 duratec that is actually a duratec ... anywhoo .. me i have an st170 runing as best as poss and still only 181bhp .. after a rs mk 1 now
Old 08-07-2020, 06:15 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Old thread i know but for those interested my old st170 made 181bhp on the dyno with a miltek exhaust decat and a Ken and Norman panel filter.
Was shocked tbh.
Still got it but its gathering crap sat on the drive......
Old 09-07-2020, 06:42 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by chris cdti
I recall seeing a white LHD Focus SVT with the Duratec23 for sale on eBay a while back. It had a Cosworth inlet manifold along with a few other Cosworth engine parts associated with the Duratec23 engine. The advert stated it had been used as a development car for the tuning parts available for the Duratec23 engine.
I saw that at Brunters being mapped years ago when I was there with one of the Golf mags, then years later when worked in Worcester it came into the dealers to be sold.

There was a thread on here with pics too.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:02 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GVK.
I saw that at Brunters being mapped years ago when I was there with one of the Golf mags, then years later when worked in Worcester it came into the dealers to be sold.

There was a thread on here with pics too.
I'm sure it was featured in one of the Ford mags at one point too. It's a shame we didn't get the Duratec in the MK1 Focus in a way, as I think it would make a pretty good base car. Plenty of tuning options and the MK1 still drives really well. Would have been even better with the all-alloy Duratec in.

As for the ST170, I don't know what people really expected to be honest. It was never going to be 200bhp, as that would have trod on the toes of the RS. Ford weren't going to make two models that competed with each other. The ST170 was a warm hatch, meant to be quicker and more sporty than the 2.0-litre, but not as extreme as the RS. Most seem to be in the 160s in terms of horsepower. Given that the "170" in ST170 means PS, which is 167bhp, then if they are over 160bhp, they are about right for a car made to mass production tolerances. As for the engine being complex, well, Honda have been using variable cam timing since the 1980s, so I'm not sure that was particularly high tech for 2002.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:09 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by massivewangers
I'm sure it was featured in one of the Ford mags at one point too. It's a shame we didn't get the Duratec in the MK1 Focus in a way, as I think it would make a pretty good base car. Plenty of tuning options and the MK1 still drives really well. Would have been even better with the all-alloy Duratec in.

Found this thread - https://passionford.com/forum/genera...-cosworth.html
The following users liked this post:
massivewangers (14-07-2020)