Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

Thermostat coolant leak and other issues! ( ST170 )

Search this Thread

Old 25-04-2017, 11:52 AM
DJ_AL

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thermostat coolant leak and other issues! ( ST170 )

So after a month of hunting (the previous coolant was so diluted it was indistinguishable amongst​ the oil!) I found the coolant leak. I believe this is the thermostat housing. I was going to replace the o ring but this looks a little more terminal to me at a glance, thoughts?

Also, i discovered an odd burning smell this week and found the 2 plastic clips holding the front most hoses to the lip of the engine bay (adjacent to the top grill) had broken and the hoses dropped, the drivers side of which (one with some heat shielding sleave) had melted through almost breaking, pic below. Which part is this please, as it will need replacing 😞

Thanks in advance.
Allan

​​​
Old 25-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Rowe
Skint

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

only way to make a good assestment on the condition of the housing is to remove it really.
It's only a few pins and you wont lose that much coolant by removing it. Mine has been replaced a number of times by the previous owner with none genuine parts, and since me purcahisng it i've had to replace it once.
I've only done 2 trackdays since this and maybe 700 miles on the road. No issues at the moment.
The following users liked this post:
DJ_AL (25-04-2017)
Old 25-04-2017, 12:26 PM
DJ_AL

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Rowe. She's going in for her cambelt change next week so i'll have them take a look and add it to the ever growing list of jobs to do. My Clutch Master cylinder started leaking the other week too, not a good month so i'm hoping to fix as much as I can myself.