Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

Possible new owner of ST170, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Mashurst
Regular Contributor

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Possible new owner of ST170, need advice

Hi folks, I've been cruising around here for a bit, and have had a couple of Focus in the past, but now I'm looking at jumping into the ST170 darkness

Anyway, I've read a couple of advice threads, and just need some clarification of things.

IMRC, this will sound like a dumb question, but I am completely clueless about these cars so what is it? What does it do? Is it the ECU?

I've seen a couple that have EML issues which according to threads on here may relate to IMRC, but otherwise cars appear sound.

Apart from the dreaded metal worm, the only other thing that appears to be dodgy is the clutch, and I did get the clutch done on my diesel estate a couple of years back so I know that can be expensive.

I was tempted by the one that 1-PD has, but it's just too far away from me

any comments would be welcome
Old 04-04-2017, 01:03 PM
liam-rst
shit happens

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMRC=intake manifold runner control is something that is used to control emissions and performance, it basically lets more air In at higher rpm, nothing major apart from rust and usual age related issues they are pretty good, although fucking shocking fuel consumption
Old 04-04-2017, 06:14 PM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Mashurst

I was tempted by the one that 1-PD has, but it's just too far away from me

not that far as I do dorset runs regular to see family in weymouth plus I could always meet you at services on M3, with these cars its all about maintaining them, The IMRC is a common fault and causes car to lose its guts and the clutch is mentle money if its on way out but people like me who dabble solely in the 170 know these cars inside out and know what to look for

Last edited by STeve; 04-04-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Mashurst
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by 1-PD
not that far as I do dorset runs regular to see family in weymouth plus I could always meet you at services on M3, with these cars its all about maintaining them, The IMRC is a common fault and causes car to lose its guts and the clutch is mentle money if its on way out but people like me who dabble solely in the 170 know these cars inside out and know what to look for
How often do you do the Weymouth run then Matey? Do you go M3 M27 A31 A35? Right near my house if you do.

I'm looking at a Magnum grey 2002 with 108K on it tomorrow. He wants 700 for it, but we'll see how good it is. No mention of the EML and no mention of the clutch/flywheel having been replaced either.......
Old 07-04-2017, 05:30 AM
STeve

How often do you do the Weymouth run then Matey? Do you go M3 M27 A31 A35? Right near my house if you do.

I'm looking at a Magnum grey 2002 with 108K on it tomorrow. He wants 700 for it, but we'll see how good it is. No mention of the EML and no mention of the clutch/flywheel having been replaced either.......
as you can imagine the 170 I have for sale is a daily driver and has no issues but if passing by your way the chances are I will be in one of my main cars plus I would still need to get back from there, when looking at these cars presume the worst, any hint of clutch related problems walk away as your repair bill will be around Ł800 and a new IMRC around Ł300 and also check clutch pedal for fluid as these cars can chew through master cylinders apart from that RUST, check everything as cheap 170s normally mean it has issues
The following users liked this post:
Mashurst (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Mashurst
Regular Contributor

Thanks Mate. Still haven't ruled yours out, but I'll have a look at this one, and let you know. Will bear all of your advice in mind, and walk away if it's dodgy.
The following users liked this post:
STeve (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 11:10 AM
STeve

Thanks Mate. Still haven't ruled yours out, but I'll have a look at this one, and let you know. Will bear all of your advice in mind, and walk away if it's dodgy.
Im not fussed if mine goes or not tbh as quite happy to use it as a daily runner, but all the best with your search
Old 08-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Mashurst
Regular Contributor

Thanks again 1-PD and the other guys.

Bought it yesterday

Couldn't feel any problems with the clutch, went in gear fine, no leaks under pedal. No EML light but light comes on when you switch on so it hasn't been removed. Only thing I could find was steering wheel off centre to right slightly, but no pulling in either direction.

108k on the clock, but it had a new dmf 2010 and a new cambelt around the same time.

It does need a new tailgate, but I've just managed to get one off ebay.

He wanted 750, and I got it for 675.

He dropped it off, and I dropped him back afterwards, and when I got home I could hear bubbling noises from under bonnet, and when I popped it, the header tank was chucking out a bit of water, so wondering if the thermostat needs replacing. Gauge was showing normal though. Drove it to work and back today, and didn't seem too bad.

It has a K&N induction kit on it, sounds good as well as going well. It's got lower springs on, but I might swap back to originals as it's a bit low for driving down our lane.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:38 AM
mattxr3i
PassionFord Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Shouldn't be bubbling or chucking water out. Check thermostat but I would also be doing a compression test for headgasket. May not be Headgasket but I would want to rule it out
Old 09-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Pwrs2k
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

As said get a test done for head gasket but usually get loss of coolant with head gasket failuire you could also have an air lock this will cause a rise of coolant in header tank.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Mashurst
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys, will check that.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:31 AM
STeve

with nthese cars the cone filters only create noise not power unless fully enclosed, as they suck up engine bay heat due to crap location behind battery, bubbling noises could be 1 of 3 things and just as the chaps mentioned water pump also as some had plastic impellers and were known to shatter but good thing is you dont need to touch cambelt when changing them, as I said before cheap 170s always have hidden issues hence price