Ford Focus ST225 (MK2) 2005-2010 Everything relating to the Mk2 ST225 preface & facelift versions from 2005 to 2010

Recently got a st3 225

Old 20-02-2017, 08:50 AM
jayst3
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently got a st3 225

Hi all thought I'd say hello. I've recently brought a 2006 st3 overall I'm happy with the car. When buying I knew it had a alternator, battery, steering rack and pump last year. Any way yesterday after starting the car and driving for about a minute the steering went tight when coming off a island then went back to normal almost instantly it also done it again this morning. It only does it when first started and driven? I've checked the power steering fluid level and that's fine. There also seems to be a faint knock when sitting with the car running and rocking the wheel to left to right? Any suggestions? Cheers Jay
Old 20-02-2017, 09:01 AM
Rowe
Skint

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

sounds like a power related problem to me. I'd get the battery load tested and get someone to check that the alternaotr is charging properly when it's first started in a morning, and then again once it's been ran for a while.
Old 20-02-2017, 09:14 AM
jayst3
Virgin

Originally Posted by Rowe
sounds like a power related problem to me. I'd get the battery load tested and get someone to check that the alternaotr is charging properly when it's first started in a morning, and then again once it's been ran for a while.
cheers for the reply I'll be able to check these myself. I'll do it tonight when I'm home. It doesn't seem to have any other symptoms of low battery ect it starts fine and no lights on the dash.
Old 20-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Rowe
Skint

Pumps are a very uncommon failure on them. Although I do know a few people who have had to replace the rack assembly.
You could try adjusting the steering settings in the menu too. Might be set on sport mode
Old 20-02-2017, 10:09 AM
jayst3
Virgin

Pumps are a very uncommon failure on them. Although I do know a few people who have had to replace the rack assembly.
You could try adjusting the steering settings in the menu too. Might be set on sport mode
it had a new pump, rack, alternator, battery and steering angle sensor last year and it's done less than 3000 miles since. I've tried it in all 3 settings and does do it more in sport. It's like for a split second the steering locked. The cars has been stood for 2 months before I got it. So I'll check battery ect tonight and scan for codes.
Old 20-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Rowe
Skint

the fact that it's all been replaced recently makes me think that maybe this is an issue the previous owner was also trying to fix.
Old 20-02-2017, 12:10 PM
jayst3
Virgin

the fact that it's all been replaced recently makes me think that maybe this is an issue the previous owner was also trying to fix.
It could possibly. It didn't do it though for the first week of me having it. The cars only done 55000 miles and has only done 3-5k a year. It doesn't make any odd noises when it does it. I thought they had all been replaced as I was on the understanding that a bad alternator on these can cause steering rack/pump problems and alternators tend to be a common problem

Search this Thread