Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Rear Wheel Arches Starting To Rust, Repair Or Leave?

Search this Thread

Old 13-04-2011, 08:48 PM
wokeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Arches Starting To Rust, Repair Or Leave?

I thought that my 53 reg TDCI Focus Estate was a great car as I have had few problems, however I noticed a bit of rust on the rear wheel arch lip. On closer inspection the paint on both rear wheel arches is starting to bubble slightly and this is on the actual quarter panel rusting from the inside out so any bodge repairs would look sh1t. I bought the car from a Ford Main stealer in late March 2010, unfortunately the Ford paint warranty check has not been carried out since sometime in 2008. so despite looking on the internet that this is a common fault with some Focus' due to the arch liner trapping water, just like the problem with the chrome tailgate on Ghia's digging into the paint that mine also has I am screwed.

The car is pretty immaculate and if I had more cash I would just get rid and buy something with decent bodywork (not a Ford). Just wondered is it worth getting them repaired now before it gets worse, the car is metallic paint by the way so I am guessing that it would cost quite a bit, anybody any idea how much?

Or my other plan was just to remove the inner arches, lightly wire brush it and cover with waxoyl to slow it down, and then just run it into the ground looking crap when the rust shows itself. I guess if I do let it get this far and I do decide to repair it, having the arches fully replaced will be very expensive.

I guess it is a pretty old car but it wasn't that cheap. I have had much older Jap cars that are not galavanised like the Focus is and they have been way better than this. May sound like sour grapes but I do not think I will buy another Ford again, and it is also my fault for not checking the car more thoroughly when I first bought it, it just looked so tidy I never thought about looking more closely.
Old 14-04-2011, 11:24 PM
stephengstewart
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my 2002 zetec's rear wheel arches repaired. The car is metropolis blue metallic. It cost £250 and it is a brilliant job. The guy that done the repairs told me that he has had 2 year old citroens and peugeots in with the same problem. Mine is nine years old. He also packed the inside of the arch with grease.

Last edited by stephengstewart; 14-04-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: left bit out