Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

New engine or tune what I have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Camel Fiddler
Resident Camel Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New engine or tune what I have?

Right I have a 1.8 black top turbo with T25 and FMIC currently running about 190bhp. But I'm thinking about more power to about 260-300bhp area. I'll have a few grand after my court case is sorted out (and 5years ncd with no fault claims, but that's another story) but what would people recommend- tuning what I have now or dropping a new lump in?

Current engine is a T190 engine which I don't believe is forged or anything- just a black top running 7ish psi boost. So that would probably need looked at first off, then clutch and mapping (locked T2 ecu ATM courtesy of Mountune when new) so would mount up price wise. But looking in for sale section, a few good spec engines have gone for £1000- £1500 which would be easier route as probably near enough just drop straight in and fit new clutch as T190 box can take 350bhp happily it seems. Ideas of costs too would help. Cheers lads n ladettes
Old 09-04-2011, 07:20 AM
hogdog
Regular Contributor

I can't remember for sure but as you say it'll handle 350bhp I'm assuming you have an MTX-75 fitted???? If so I would get a new 2.0 engine with some forged rods and pistons and then up the boost a little, I'm sure the T25 can blow a little harder than that. I would also go for an RS water pump and housing and maybe an intercooler upgrade to keep everything cool. Clutch upgrade? ATB diff? If you have an IB5 fitted I wouldn't touch it, it won't take much more than 190bhp in the grippy and heavy Focus.

I think the sticking point may be the T2, I know people have tuned it but I think you need the password to access it. I would put aside some money for dealing with that.

The T190 is a rare classic and I'd love one, very jealous.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as a thought, how much are T190s selling for these days?

As has been mentioned, in their own unique way, they are actually a bit special.

Would it be an option to sell the T190 as it is and then just buy a Mk1 Focus RS? Around about £1000 of tuning to a Focus RS will take it to a safe 285bhp and the scope for further tuning is there in the future. It's got the better gearbox, brakes, suspension, engine etc.

Just a thought as to try and bring a T190 up to a comparable spec, you might find you're at similar money!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Camel Fiddler
Resident Camel Stalker

Cheers for the comments lads. The box I dont know what it is but I do know of one that had 350bhp (old member off here incidently) and he was running standard T190 box and Ian Howell engine. Was for sale for £8000 or so last I heard.
ATM I'm busy getting it as much back to original as far as possible and sort the bodywork out ready for show season.
Thing is, I don't wanna sell it cos I love the car but just wanna make more like how Ford should really have made it IMO. Instead of a half job, they should have done serious tuning to 300bhp anyway with LSD.
Old 20-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Camel Fiddler
Resident Camel Stalker

The main reason for looking for more power is that I'm not confident the current engine is going to last. When I start the car on a morning first thing, it stumbles and nearly immediately cuts out. It'll restart again fine but the idle control valve is defo faulty. Whether it would cause the other issue I don't know tbh but mpg is only 25 at best and there are also turbo worries. It has leaky turbo seals and there is blue smoke from the exhaust when warming up. It was only rebuilt 30000miles ago and same time period the car had new pistons done. But the turbo was rebuilt with 360deg bearings and was race spec balanced. How would these turbo mods affect drivability if nothing was done map-wise? The car had horrible emissions on the MOT machine makig me think all is far from well with it. Would I be best getting a used zetec block and getting turbo rebuilt and converting that or could I use a ST170 bottom end and 4-2-1 exhaust manifold with current inlet and head and mapped accordingly?

Comments please as I love the car but really just wanna make sure it's 100% reliable.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 PM
RitchieB
Virgin

Default 350 bhp t190

The T190 you were referring to is now owned by me and is is running very well and will be up for sale soon. However the original gearbox was replaced with a Mark 1 RS gearbox to ensure that the car could handle 350 BHP. I am told that the original T190 box is good for up to 260-280 BHP.

Furthermore the original T190 engine in my car was replaced by a 2.0 Ltr donor block in order to achieve 350 very quick horses. It has been maintained by Harvey Gibbs ever since I bought it over a year ago.

Good luck with your own modifications and look out for the sale of the fastest T190 in the UK over the next few weeks on Pistonheads.
Old 13-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the 1.8 had the ib5 gearbox which is like chocolate, the 2.0l which includes the Mk1 foucs RS has a MTX75. They are not interchangable as far as im aware. If you go to the trouble of fitting a 2.0L block then i would fit a Getrag 6 Speed box from the ST170, with enough horses they have a theoretical top speed of 180+

Last edited by Sp3no; 13-05-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 13-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Camel Fiddler
Resident Camel Stalker

RitchieB

Does yours still have the T-190 vinyls on the rear and sides???
Mine are missing and I'd like them put back if possible. Any chance you could get a good square on pic so I can get a copy done?
Old 13-05-2011, 10:42 PM
RitchieB
Virgin

Default Vinyls

I assume you mean the T190 decals - I will see what I can do on the sides with a high res digital photo - the rear decal is damaged as some numbskull tried to remove it before I owned the car.

If you can send me your email address I will forward - bealethebeales@aol.com.

The car is in the garage having an oil leak fixed at the moment so I can't take the pics for a week or so.