Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Looking to buy a ford focus but first a couple of Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 AM
tomwebb101
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a ford focus but first a couple of Q's

Hi guys,

My family has decided that the car to replace our old one is going to be a ford Focus but we have heard a few things which are worrying us so i'd appreciate some help with the following...

We have mainly looked at both the 2.0TDCi and 1.6TDCi of 2006 model year and are open to suggestions on which is the most likely reliable model of the two. We understand that both these models use a dual mass flywheel but if anyone can confirm otherwise i would be good to know. Are these DM fly's known to be troublesome and what can we expect one of these to last?

Secondly, do these models come with a diesel particulate filter and if they do are they troublesome or not?

Third we have heard that the cambelt change on the petrol and diesels is at 100k miles or 10 yrs which seems a little optimistic... is it safe sticking to this or is it better to change earlier?

Finally if there are any things we should look out for please let us know..., we dont really trust anyone but the owners of their cars to answer these Q's lol

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:19 AM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

the 1.6 is a peugoet engine iirc

http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/

Karl benz on that forum is a ford tech, he can tell you anything you might need to know
Old 10-01-2011, 09:44 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

If it's anything like the Mondeo engines in addition to the DMF which all manufactures suffer from they also suffer injector problems. I think the TDCI is the better option although I get confused sometimes between the two I think it's the DI (Direct injection which is the more troublesome one)

As said the 1.6 is a Peugeot engine, and as you correctly say re Fords recommendation it's not wise to adhere to this, it's not always the belt that are the problem, the tentioners can let go.

I never owned a Diesel Focus, just saying from an educated mind of what I know of, I know the latest models have DPF as well, again this is troublesome with most manufactures especially if the car is just driven round town.

Martin
Old 10-01-2011, 01:04 PM
tomwebb101
Virgin

thanks so far... more answers welcome!

i guess what we wondered most of all was whether the 1.6 TDCi or even the 2.0 TDCi have dual mass flywheels and if so what kind of lifespan do they have?

i cant seem to find a way to search back through this forum which might help?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a TDCI but the DMF on my focus ST170 lasted 50'000 before it went, read countless stories of them dieing a death anywhere after 20K. The new Focus RS has a DMF i wonder how long it will be before these start coming up for renewal. Bang goes a thousand bucks.
Its a case of when not if with the DMF.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:21 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What use is this car likely to get?

if its going to spend ages sat on the drive and only ever driven round town or in stop start traffic, never driven hard and never taken on a decent run getting it nice and hot then DON'T get a modern common rail diesel engine. you will only have probelems and they WILL be expensive to fix.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Magnum PI
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by phil_focus
What use is this car likely to get?

if its going to spend ages sat on the drive and only ever driven round town or in stop start traffic, never driven hard and never taken on a decent run getting it nice and hot then DON'T get a modern common rail diesel engine. you will only have probelems and they WILL be expensive to fix.
Agreed, better of getting a decent small engined petrol powered car, such as a 1.25 or 1.4 Fiesta. (or even a 1.4 petrol Focus if need a bit of extra room)

If you're getting a diesel, you need to be doing lots of miles a year to recoup any 'savings' due to the extra MPG you get.......
Old 10-01-2011, 05:53 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Magnum PI
Agreed, better of getting a decent small engined petrol powered car, such as a 1.25 or 1.4 Fiesta. (or even a 1.4 petrol Focus if need a bit of extra room)

If you're getting a diesel, you need to be doing lots of miles a year to recoup any 'savings' due to the extra MPG you get.......

and so you don't clog up the dpf which on some cars have fluid systems along with them and are expensive to replace

and so you don't fuck the injectors as they need thrashing to keep them running good and on a 2l tdci 130ps they are £250 per injector at ford

and if fuel pumps decide to break up you ned to replace the whole lot including injectors.

modern diesel motors really are only for mile munchers imho. you need to see how much money you would actually save (if any) by comparing mpg's but not only that, you need to factor in the extra cost of the car too as modern diesels are a lot more expensive than teir petrol equivilants. then decide if your driving conditions make the injector and pump and dpf issues high risk or not.

with regards to the dmf's. all modern deisels have them and even some petrols. they perform the job they do very well but what people don't realise is that they are a servicable item that does wear out and will need replacing which is why most places replace them aswell when the cluch needs doing. the down side is they can be very expensive especially from main dealers.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some very good point made
Old 13-01-2011, 11:13 AM
bonnerworld

i have to agree with above, if you are not doing long journeys, the common rail engines really arent worth the extra hassle, my saab tid is doing the same mpg as my 1.8 focus at the moment, they dont heat up as quick as the petrol cars, and stop start driving really effects them, as for the DMF as said above, pretty much every car has them my friends tdci focus lasted till nearly 100k miles, my saab is on 157k on its original
Old 13-01-2011, 01:15 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

My reccomendation would be the 1600 if wanting the best compromise of performance/economy reliable, quick enough and hugely economical and best of all it's Petrol.

Martin
Old 13-01-2011, 02:23 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a few have said already only get an oil burner if you are covering some serious miles, I only bought a desiel because I have a mate who works on them all day long so I can all the prob fixed and parts for silly money. If I didnt have a mate who was shit hot mechanic I wouldnt touch a desiel, come to that I wouldnt touch a Ford !
Old 13-01-2011, 02:34 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

tomwebb101, you still around?