Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Could a bad serpentine belt cause the alternator to show a low reading on a tester ?

Old 17-02-2017, 11:09 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Could a bad serpentine belt cause the alternator to show a low reading on a tester ?

over recent weeks car battery been weak, required several jump starts.
yesterday, battery light come on, then ABS and power steering then other lights, then car cut out driving at 5 mph. put brand new battery on and all lights apart from battery light went out.
my friend had a look today briefly, he tapped the alternator or something to see if the battery light would go out, then he said belt has snapped but alternator is fine.
I have a new belt but don't want to fit it unless I know the alternator is good first.

A shop tested alternator putting leads on battery and said alternator shows low reading at 12 V.
Could a bad serpentine belt (even if it had not yet snapped) cause an alternator to read 12 V and also there was no charge going out at all while revving the car but could that be due to a bad belt ?.

thanks
Old 17-02-2017, 11:20 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

im confused!
is the belt on?
The following users liked this post:
FastLife91 (17-02-2017)
Old 17-02-2017, 11:35 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by GARETH T
im confused!
is the belt on?
hi.

thank you for your reply at this late hour.

the car has had a weak battery for a while and required several jump starts.

well yesterday car cut our after battery light came on but put new battery on and all lights went out apart from battery light.
someone tested yesterday putting leads on battery said the charging system was putting nothing out and the alternator read 12 V.
my question is could that be the cause of a bad serpentine belt not charging the alternator properly ? (don't think belt was snapped at this point as I was able to drive car 10 miles back with new battery )

took it to a friend today, he tapped something on or around the alternator then said oh the belt is broke, you need a new belt to solve the problem.
as soon as he did that all lights came back on, power steering abs e.t.c. and car cut out and had to get it towed home.

when I took wheel off I then noticed no belt present

I took wheel off earlier and found no belt !
Old 17-02-2017, 11:47 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLife91
hi.

thank you for your reply at this late hour.

the car has had a weak battery for a while and required several jump starts.

well yesterday car cut our after battery light came on but put new battery on and all lights went out apart from battery light.
someone tested yesterday putting leads on battery said the charging system was putting nothing out and the alternator read 12 V.
my question is could that be the cause of a bad serpentine belt not charging the alternator properly ? (don't think belt was snapped at this point as I was able to drive car 10 miles back with new battery )

took it to a friend today, he tapped something on or around the alternator then said oh the belt is broke, you need a new belt to solve the problem.
as soon as he did that all lights came back on, power steering abs e.t.c. and car cut out and had to get it towed home.

when I took wheel off I then noticed no belt present

I took wheel off earlier and found no belt !
Mate please this was funny at one point but now enough is enough. I and many others have taken a lot of time to help u out. I work on cars 5/6 days a week and I've taken time in my spare time to help you with your car and you ignore everything I've said and then start new posts one after the other asking the same questions. If your on a wind up then please admit it as I'm not wasting my valuable time trying to help you anymore. I have an apprentice who's 3 weeks into the job from leaving School and he's already able to do a full service with no help and he's about to do his first timing Belt with me. He's got a mechanical mind but I will always say if your are not mechanically minded then it's best to leave the job to the experts. U keep mentioning Kwik fit and such places, their not mechanics by a million mile long shot, u need to take it to a proper garage with proper mechanics. Good example kwik fit just put a tester accross the battery terminals and said it's not charging and didn't even notice the aux belt missing!
MONSTER (18-02-2017)
Old 18-02-2017, 12:01 AM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Mate please this was funny at one point but now enough is enough. I and many others have taken a lot of time to help u out. I work on cars 5/6 days a week and I've taken time in my spare time to help you with your car and you ignore everything I've said and then start new posts one after the other asking the same questions. If your on a wind up then please admit it as I'm not wasting my valuable time trying to help you anymore. I have an apprentice who's 3 weeks into the job from leaving School and he's already able to do a full service with no help and he's about to do his first timing Belt with me. He's got a mechanical mind but I will always say if your are not mechanically minded then it's best to leave the job to the experts. U keep mentioning Kwik fit and such places, their not mechanics by a million mile long shot, u need to take it to a proper garage with proper mechanics. Good example kwik fit just put a tester accross the battery terminals and said it's not charging and didn't even notice the aux belt missing!
hi

nobody said this was funny, I didn't.

I do not know how long the belt has been absent for, I just took wheel off to get a look what is involved to replace drive belt and noticed no belt but an hour before my friend told me it was snapped, half hour after leaving his house my car broke down had to get it towed home, then I noticed on belt after taking wheel off, I guess it hadn't been off for long as I presume it would not drive without drivebelt ?

kwik were not the ones who tested it.

are you able to answer the question in the thread ? if yes then great, if not then please save your breath
Old 18-02-2017, 08:19 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

Check to make sure the belt us there,if not it may be the engine that's missing,if that's not there that's prob why it's not starting and causing the battery light to stay on.
Adam-M (18-02-2017)
Old 18-02-2017, 08:31 AM
wayne1001
Part of the Furniture

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLife91
hi

nobody said this was funny, I didn't.

I do not know how long the belt has been absent for, I just took wheel off to get a look what is involved to replace drive belt and noticed no belt but an hour before my friend told me it was snapped, half hour after leaving his house my car broke down had to get it towed home, then I noticed on belt after taking wheel off, I guess it hadn't been off for long as I presume it would not drive without drivebelt ?

kwik were not the ones who tested it.

are you able to answer the question in the thread ? if yes then great, if not then please save your breath
ever heard the saying don't bite the hand that feeds you?
clearly not we are trying to give you advise and you refuse to listen. You have qualified mechanics giving you advise and you knock IT!!
if you really want to learn then listen and stop asking stupid questions and repeating yourself & your answers on 10 different threads about the same shit.
im done with you now good luck
Old 18-02-2017, 08:34 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Gents it's a wind up pretty comical though, he's found his way over to the muppet room too, funny as fuck he could audition for the remake of mr Ed the talking horse

All he needs is some peanut butter
Old 18-02-2017, 09:03 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

fASTlIFE91, raising the perception of welsh people since 2017
Old 18-02-2017, 11:24 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie luciano
Gents it's a wind up pretty comical though, he's found his way over to the muppet room too, funny as fuck he could audition for the remake of mr Ed the talking horse

All he needs is some peanut butter
Are you guessing its a wind up or do you know something that we dont? What ever his posts are they have gone beyond a joke now and I think a lot of people are just BORED and annoyed by them.
If he is a real person and all this has just been a wind up he should be ashamed of himself.
Old 18-02-2017, 12:17 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by wayne1001
ever heard the saying don't bite the hand that feeds you?
clearly not we are trying to give you advise and you refuse to listen. You have qualified mechanics giving you advise and you knock IT!!
if you really want to learn then listen and stop asking stupid questions and repeating yourself & your answers on 10 different threads about the same shit.
im done with you now good luck
Couldn't have said it better myself mate, I was gonna reply to his post but I think I'll just leave it as life's too short to get wound up
Old 18-02-2017, 12:21 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Are you guessing its a wind up or do you know something that we dont? What ever his posts are they have gone beyond a joke now and I think a lot of people are just BORED and annoyed by them.
If he is a real person and all this has just been a wind up he should be ashamed of himself.
After seeing his dental thread in the muppet room it kinda convinced me the guys on a wind up, I don't know anymore than you do nor do I know who it is tbh
Old 18-02-2017, 05:11 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Well certainly when it comes to working at cars...he's a total fucktard.

Why some people cannot realise they are in over their heads is a mystery. He could probably leave the car in at his local primary school and the children could fix it easier than he could !

If you are completely and utterly clueless about something, mechanically inept, are blind and have 2 left hands with no fingers or thumbs....just stay away from working at mechanical things !

It just a miracle nobody has been injured or killed yet !
Old 18-02-2017, 06:12 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by charlie luciano
After seeing his dental thread in the muppet room it kinda convinced me the guys on a wind up, I don't know anymore than you do nor do I know who it is tbh
I just looked at his dental thread!!!!! If that is the real Guy that has been posting does anyone recognise him?
Old 18-02-2017, 06:16 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

I just looked at his dental thread!!!!! If that is the real Guy that has been posting does anyone recognise him?

Hasn't he been on The Jeremy Kyle Show
Old 18-02-2017, 06:29 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by slammedorion
Hasn't he been on The Jeremy Kyle Show
Hah hah all jokes aside it's defo some creepy shit
Old 19-02-2017, 09:10 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Hah hah all jokes aside it's defo some creepy shit
It certainly all seems a bit weird to me, all of his posts and his dental post , not what I would call normal behaviour?
Old 22-02-2017, 09:47 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It certainly all seems a bit weird to me, all of his posts and his dental post , not what I would call normal behaviour?
im of to the muppet room i got to read the latest eddition of wacko the flip flop
Old 23-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe the boost leak is sucking the voltage out the cable?
Old 23-02-2017, 03:21 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Loomer
Maybe the boost leak is sucking the voltage out the cable?
I just spat my coffee out
Old 23-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

You would have to be very clever to be that good at wind ups.
Old 23-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Wessa
Regular Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I nearly fell off my chair reading some of those comments on the muppet page.. This just keeps getting funnier and funnier.
Old 23-02-2017, 08:56 PM
ray barker

i dont think fastlife is a wined up. were all different if we wernt it be boreing i just cant wait for the next episode of the focus.he does a post and seems to go quiet and surveys the reactions
Old 23-02-2017, 09:00 PM
ray barker

come on fastlife lets have some banter you can post if the focus is sweet

Search this Thread