Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus Mk3 1.6 TDCi upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 15-01-2016, 04:39 PM
xIcarus
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus Mk3 1.6 TDCi upgrade

Greetings and I hope I am posting this in the correct subsection.

I own a 2012 Mk3 Focus 1.6 TDCi, 95HP start-stop. I'm coming from my father's 2013 Mk3 Focus 2.0 TDCi, 163HP and you can imagine I feel quite a lack of power. I bought this car for city driving and I did not agree with the 95HP power figure but alas it had quite a bunch of options on it for a pretty nice price so I just had to have it. It's a great car.

As I said, I do feel a lack of power though. I was wondering what difference is there between the 95HP and the 115HP engines when it comes to the engine components themselves?
What I've found out is that the turbo is bigger on the 115HP version, but is that all? I'm asking because I want to upgrade my car to 115HP (no remap - basically stock 115HP engine) and then remap it to reach around 140HP. Is this doable or am I crazy?

What do I need to know about this? Are the injectors the same on the 95HP? Will I need a better clutch to deal with the extra torque (assuming this is easily possible? What else is there to know? I'm quite confused because I haven't found any decent info aside from the turbo models. Haven't even found good info on the Mk2 engines for that matter.

Of course if what I'm saying is mental by all means I will content myself with just a remap, bringing the power figures to around 120HP. But I wanted to ask you kind people.

Thanks in advance!
Old 30-01-2016, 08:32 PM
xIcarus
Virgin

I've been researching on this and it seems that the injectors are the same between the two engines.

A tuning and remap company in the UK (I won't name it since I don't want this to be considered as advertisement) offers a Stage 2 remap for the 95HP version that I own, bringing the power up to 136HP. As far as I've read this is impossible with the stock turbo and the company even states on the remap page that the two engines (95HP and 115HP) are very very similar. This leads me to believe that there shouldn't be any other differences aside from the actual turbine.
But I haven't been able to find clutch kits for these two models so I cannot yet say if the clutch needs an upgrade too, in order to deal with the extra torque.

I've contacted my local Ford authorized service and they said they do not offer such upgrades as the one I've described in the post above. But the service is multi-make. I will contact the service in my home town which is dedicated to Ford vehicles.

I thought I'd leave this here in case someone else wants to do what I'm planning to do.

Cheers.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:52 PM
xIcarus
Virgin

Some more updates.

I see people on the forum posting about different remap companies so I suppose this wouldn't be considered as advertising. Celtic Tuning is the UK company which offered the Stage 2 remap. Upon asking them, they said that the two engines (95HP and 115HP) are completely identical and a remap would boost my power right into the 140HP range.

..I honestly believe they do not know what they're talking about. I've found the turbos to be quite different, even in price (the 115HP one is almost twice in price - probably because it's a variable vane turbo as I've initially suspected). Turbos:
95HP: http://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/baue...s-7664623.html
115HP: http://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/baue...s-7279283.html

So be a bit careful if any of you people go to Celtic Tuning. This might be an isolated case, I am not saying they are unprofessional. But what I found clearly contradicts what they're saying.

The injectors seem to be the same between the models, there are two part codes which seem to be able to replace one another.
http://infopart.org/ford-1791017-part
http://infopart.org/ford-1812616-part
I've also found a 9802448680 50274v05 code which is probably the original injector number. I've seen that this injector is pulled out after the deconstruction of both the 95HP and 115HP models.

The clutch - this is unexpected but the same clutch is used on all mk3 non-ST/RS Focuses EXCEPT the 2.0TDCi versions. What is weird is that the 1.6 Ecoboost also seems to employ the exact same clutch.

A word of caution: If you have a target of 140HP.. The 2.0 also comes in a 140HP version. So the clutch MIGHT need replacing once you get there since the power and torque figures are quite close to the 2.0 TDCi.

Cheers.

Last edited by xIcarus; 06-02-2016 at 04:54 PM.