Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

1.8 TDCI Alternator / Alternator Drive Shaft / Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 20-10-2015, 03:37 PM
laidinbed
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8 TDCI Alternator / Alternator Drive Shaft / Pulley

Right, two weeks ago got the garage to change the alternator on my 56 plate Focus TDCi, all seemed okay for a couple of short trips, then i took it for my work commute (about 55 miles) and pulled up off the motorway with smoke coming from the engine bay.
Called the RAC, was diagnosed as the drive shaft pulley into the alternator that had broken - the rubbers had been ripped up (somehow) RAC man replaced it - at a big cost, all seemed fine - drove home, pulled up at house and same thing happened, smoke, called RAC - drive shaft rubbers ripped apart, again.

anyhoo, managed to nurse it to the garage and they are now looking at it. Replacing the alternator and drive shaft/pulley. except they are having problems, they don't want to give the car back until they've found out what's causing it. Could it just be mounted incorrectly / spacers or something?
Old 20-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Colin_P
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Could be the carrier bracket either either cracked or mis-aligned. It is a big lump of aluminium though so cannot see how much could effect it.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:04 AM
tonigel
Virgin

Default Same problem

Hi,
I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering if the OP or anyone else has found a solution for this problem. I have burned out 3 rubber coupling boots in the month I have owned my 2009 1.8 tdci mondeo. The last time I replaced the alternator as well. It can drive around on short trips no problem, but on restarting after a long trip the boot just seems to disintegrate?
Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.....

Old 25-07-2023, 11:05 PM
Ludo42
Virgin

Originally Posted by tonigel
Hi,
I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering if the OP or anyone else has found a solution for this problem. I have burned out 3 rubber coupling boots in the month I have owned my 2009 1.8 tdci mondeo. The last time I replaced the alternator as well. It can drive around on short trips no problem, but on restarting after a long trip the boot just seems to disintegrate?
Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.....
​​​​​​Hello,

Same issue...
Did you find the solution ?