Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Braking Assist too much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Cardie
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Braking Assist too much?

Firstly ive mentioned before ive got a leaking Vacuum Pump on my Focus TDDi Estate, but its developed a new problem which is related but im not 100%

Basically the brake pedal travel felt a bit longer than normal and it was easier than normal to press, I could also push the pedal to nearly the bottom when i'd roll to a stop and press on the brakes hard.
At first I thought there would be a leak but after checking all the pipes and that the brake fluid level was still slightly over max it seems to be ok. Bearing in mind I had driven nearly 10 miles and the fluid was fine.

Its never had the best brakes in the world but now it seems like ive got loads of 'over assistance'?

The only thing ive done recently is changed the oil, I put 5w30 fully synthetic in. Now this might sound weird but the Vacuum Pump is leaking oil (as it uses the camshaft lobe), is it possible that the better quality oil is making the seal from where its leaking, less likely to let air in and giving me a much better braking assistance?