Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

1.8 tdci starts fine but if I shut it off...

Search this Thread

Old 18-03-2014, 10:08 AM
corwinmoyne
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8 tdci starts fine but if I shut it off...

My 2003 1.8 TDCi starts fine each morning, but I have noticed a problem now. If I take the car on a short journey and turn it off before it has had time to warm up, when I try and start it again it fails to start and I could be sitting there for 10 mins trying to get it started. If the car is started and used for a long journey, I do not have this problem.

In summary:
If the car is started and stopped again before it gets up to temperature, it will be a pain in the arse to get going again. It is fine if stopped and started again when up to temperature.
Old 18-03-2014, 07:13 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have the battery checked and it could be the starter motor, on these the battery has to be tip top in order to start the car from cold. The starter has to turn the engine at 750 rpm before the injectors will fire and this requires maximum grunt when cold, I found when my starter went it was fine once it was warm but a shit when it was cold.

Here's a quote from another thread on the same subject.

What you describe regarding starting the car does seem to be something that happens with the starters on TDCI's. One of the main reasons mine went was put down to lack of use as over time the steel shaft that runs through a phosphor bronze bush gets dirty and some of the dirt gets in between the bush and the shaft increasing the friction and putting more and more load on the starter, eventually getting to the point where it really struggles and ultimately fails to crank the engine fast enough. The problem is that without testing the starter or putting a known good battery on the car some people will put the sluggishness of the starter down to a failing battery only to fit a new one and find there is no difference when trying to start the car.

Last edited by uruk hai; 18-03-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 20-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Lee_R
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's getting air in the system.

The fuel filter has a temperature valve whereby if the fuel temp is below 40 degrees, the leak-off fuel from the injectors and HP pump returns to the filter and is re-used once it passes through the filter again. Once the fuel temp rise above 40 degrees the valve opens and this fuel returns back to the tank for cooling.

It might be there is air getting in the leak-off side, so clear hoses need to be fitted to check for presence of air.

It could be the same things as I had where the seals in the pump had gone hard and were letting in air when cold, but sealing up when hot.

I had a bill for just under £800 to fix it, but mine escalated to the stage where the EM light was coming on and the engine would cut out.