Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Ford C-Max PCM issues and Egr 1.6 tdci dv6

Search this Thread

Old 18-10-2013, 10:28 PM
s1turbomike
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ford C-Max PCM issues and Egr 1.6 tdci dv6

Hi All

I'm a newbie to passionford

Here is my dilema

I have a ford c-max 1.6TDCI on an 2004 plate, The car has been messing around (rough running) so i found that my air filter has oil on which ford know about and i found a TSB on the IDS machine at work, I have had to clean up my MAF sensor a few times which bides me some time.

Ford has released a PCM (power control module) update which will reduce the build up of oil from resetting the EGR valve operation.

So i do what most people would do with ford ids in hand, reprogram the pcm.

Sadly this is where i hit the brick wall, the IDS will not recognise my PCM number which i have got from the side of the PCM itself. I must comment that this is not a EURO 4 Car its a 2000 EEC emissions.

I have tried entering it manually but this does not work as it states ( The Calibration number was not recognized by the diagnostic tester).

My Calibration number is 3M51-12A650-MA
I have tried entering it manually but it still doesn't recognize it.

The car has stopped running now as it fires up for a second then dies with only egr valve fault codes back, which may I add that they have never gone from the fault memory since I have owned it. The egr valve was replaced early this year with a genuine ford part.

Is their any one who has access to the ids who may be able to help??

Old 19-10-2013, 05:19 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

When you connect the car to IDS are you letting it find the car/PCM itself or are you trying to go into it on a 'no comms' routine, and adding the PCM number manually??

Usually (as you should know if a regular user of IDS) you shouldn't need to add any PCM numbers as it does them itself when it finds the PCM. It connects to the car then a screen comes up asking you to confirm what vehicle/engine it is.

Unfortunately it sounds like with you trying to connect/update it something has gone wrong (lost connection or whatever) and it has blanked the PCM. Usually going into it with no comms and adding the PCM cal number should get it back.

Wondering if it's a later IDS system running Windows 7 rather than the old XP and they've not supported the old cals from a nearly 10 yr old car?

They do daft thing like that sometimes, take things off for older models, which is a pain in the arse!

Not sure what to suggest.

Last edited by GVK.; 19-10-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 19-10-2013, 07:23 PM
s1turbomike
Virgin

Hi GVK

When i go into the ids, as you state it normally lets you just pass with the tick function.

But with the car it states it cant recognise the calibration number and will let me manually enter the number, but it only gives me the option of adding with the centre code being -12k532/12k523- where my pcm number from the side of the unit states 3M51-12A650-MA and wont recognise is.

If i state that I don't want to add the pcm number it comes up with a drop down menu which lists my pcm number but yet again when selected it claims its not recognised.

I think this other fault is related as i get a U fault code which is Bus communication related.

I think its had faults in the passed and someone must has messed it up.

Is their any way i can reformat the pcm and reboot?

Our ids is running windows xp on a toughbook. I fully updated it before I plugged it in as I know how tempremental the ids and vcm are.
Old 19-10-2013, 07:41 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If it's U1900 or U1700 (can bus receive error) you get that on nearly every CMax (in instrument cluster I guess?)

If you try and connect without the ignition on it will eventually take you to that screen where you add the calibration number - the number you're trying to add is the part number. If you go to the 'trace' tab bottom left of screen (looks like a sheet of paper type image) when you've tried to connect, does it give any cal numbers there?

I guess it won't if the IDS can not recognise the number whilst trying to connect automatically.

As said earlier, the more the IDS is updated the less support it seems to have for older vehicles.

Just a thought, is the ECU being powered up? Power hold relay working etc?
Old 20-10-2013, 09:17 PM
s1turbomike
Virgin

Yeah it's a U1900 code.

I will try and see if I can get the codes from the bottom part of the screen.

Can I reformat it and somehow try the Asbuild code?
Old 20-10-2013, 10:32 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I was told to ignore that U code on a recent chat to technical with a problem Cmax.

TBH, I've not had much if any experience using asbuilt data, so can't help you with that I'm afraid.
Old 22-10-2013, 06:13 PM
s1turbomike
Virgin

I managed to get into the PCM finally, you were right about the tab at the bottom of the screen. PCM number was their so I've managed to load the new software into it and it's now a fault with the EGR so I can focus on that now. Thanks GVK
Old 22-10-2013, 06:56 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good news!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM
s1turbomike
Virgin

Just for info, the EGR was stuck open so replaced and worked a treat thanks again for advice. Saved me a fortune
Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No problem, happy to help.