Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

2003 focus TDCI pulling my hair out problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 PM
steve24rdg
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 focus TDCI pulling my hair out problem

Hi there, I hope (if you dont mind) somebody here can give me some guidance in troubleshooting the most bizarre problem I have ever come across with a car.
I am a senior technician for a heavy equipment, so I do know my way around common rail injection systems.
It is a 2003 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI, I pulled the engine out for complete rebuild after a small end failure. The turbo was rebuilt with a new cassette, the injectors were stripped, cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner and re assembled following guidelines from Delphi.
The engine went back in and was running fine in my workshop throughout the whole rev range.
Took the car for a run around the block all was well until I pulled back into my workshop and it stalled. Then it would re start, run for maybe 5 seconds (sometimes a bit more) then cut out again, same thing over and over with it becoming more difficult to re start. once started if you rev the engine it will run for as long as you keep the revs up, it is a bit rough though. (no MIL light flashes at any time)
I thought that it must be a fuel pressure or injector problem, so I put it on the IDS and it shows that fuel pressure is fine. during crank I had well over 150 bar, at idle, if I remember, was ell over 250.
disconnecting the injectors and the fuel fuel modulating valve on the pump showed that the pressures are all good. the crank test showed pressure rises from 250 bar to 1500 in 5 seconds. at stop cranking dropping off to about 500 over the next 5 seconds. IDS says these results are good.
Injector leak off test shows that all injectors are within limits.
I re did all of the above tests using a separate fuel source held above the engine, with the same results..
Error codes show that there are a couple of recurring events but never at the same time. I have had P0234 turbo over pressure (checked out turbo, works fine) checked map sensor, unplugged the sensor harness reads 5v power 2.5v at signal and earth are all fine.
IDS test on map fails due to "communication error"
But as I have the correct readings on the map plug I assume that the PCM is generating the correct voltages for the map. I cant find a wiring diagram to test continuity between the MAP sensor and the PCM.
Datalogging on IDS shows that the MAP pressure at adle is 985mBar, engine off 1bar, engine accelerated 1.5bar ish.
Other errors during self test shows communication fail of PCM, but it if I delete error codes re crank engine and re check error codes, more often than not the PCM will have passed its test.
So after all this I thought maybe there was a software glitch in the PCM and tried to re program it. Unfortunately this failed to complete due to error code 11 -0x0 851082.
IDS said that it I must perform a IPM to fix this error.
I tried this and this failed also. with a code that appeared Task Man error 12 56 1114687.
I have no idea what these error codes relate to.
I thought that there maybe a wiring fault between the obd11 connector pin 13 (flash reprogram volt). Testing this pin showed no voltage or earth. Tracing the wire to a connector in the passenger foot-well showed that I had continuity from the obd11 pin and the connector. Looking at the other side of the connector showed that there is NO WIRE INSTALLED??? I would have thought that if you are to re program the PCM this wire needs to go to the PCM???
This has left the car unable to crank due to the immobilizer stopping this.
Can somebody please help me here?
How can I re program the PCM? I followed information I found on the net which you can manually enter the vehicle type to carry out PCM re programming, but this fails too.
I cant find a wiring diagram to the PCM, any information on the 2 error codes during PCM programming or anyone else who has had similar problems.
any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

steve