Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus tdci 1.6 05

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:16 PM
RSBryden
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Focus tdci 1.6 05

Hi, recently purchased this car and the pipes had blown on it. Ie the pipe from turbo to cooler an cooler to inlet, after disconnecting sensor and changing pipes, she runs fine but after a certain speed or rev a red light comes on and it says "engine system fault" I then turn her off and she is back to normal only until I give her a good drive then light comes on again and limits me to 3k revs n no more!

Has anyone came across this problem?
Also it starts tapping in high revs? Haven't checked out yet as she parked on a hill, will check oil ASAP,

Last service was 4k miles ago!
Old 13-07-2013, 05:51 AM
geordiegooner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got exactly the same problem on my 06 plate but mine is a 1.8tdci .no fault codes show up when it limits me to 3k revs and I've serviced mine changing fuel filter twice swapped airflow meter turbos fine so now thinking egr is caked up . Mines only done 67k miles.
Old 13-07-2013, 06:52 AM
RSBryden

What's egr mate? I read online something about dpf usualy gets blocked up or it's something to do with the loom or throttle body!
Gona get my pal to plug it in to his diagnostic machine n take if from there ,
Old 13-07-2013, 08:26 AM
uruk hai

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by geordiegooner
I've got exactly the same problem on my 06 plate but mine is a 1.8tdci .no fault codes show up when it limits me to 3k revs and I've serviced mine changing fuel filter twice swapped airflow meter turbos fine so now thinking egr is caked up . Mines only done 67k miles.
Just to clarify, will it absolutely only rev to 3k (even in neutral ?) or will it rev freely to that point only then to struggle past it and crawl and I do mean crawl toward the red line ?

If so it could be a faulty turbo actuator control solenoid, that's what happened to mine and when I changed the part the difference was instant !

(This has already been posted and discussed at length in the Focus diesel section)
Old 13-07-2013, 08:28 AM
RSBryden

Mine sometimes revs up to 4k and will fly along nicely but other times the light will pop on and engine system failure shows and that then will crawl on revs past 2k. And won't go over 70! It is fine sometimes an others not.
Old 13-07-2013, 08:35 AM
uruk hai

Originally Posted by RSBryden
What's egr mate? I read online something about dpf usualy gets blocked up or it's something to do with the loom or throttle body!
Gona get my pal to plug it in to his diagnostic machine n take if from there ,
The EGR is the "exhaust gas recirculation valve" and it recirculates some of the exhaust gas back through to the inlet to be be burnt again. It does this for two reasons, to reduce emmisions and to keep combustion chamber temperatures down. The problem comes when the EGR sticks open, the valve opens and closes at different points but under heavy acceleration it should be almost if not completely closed which is why you see smoke when ever someone is thrashing a derv with a EGR valve. If the valve sticks open then effectively some of the power is lost hence the lack lustre performance !

These valves can be cleaned or even blanked off but when blanked it can some times cause a fault code.

The DPF can cause problems as it effectively bungs up the exhaust but this will be down to how well or often the system is regenerating, the PSA engine and system you have uses a fluid to regenerate and clean the DPF. This fluid is known as Eolys fluid and does need to be refilled once it's all used but I would suggest getting it plugged into a diagnostic machine if you can, it could be a few things and there's no point just "guess" replacing parts !

Last edited by uruk hai; 13-07-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 13-07-2013, 08:48 AM
RSBryden

Thank you buddy your very knowledgeable

11:30 today she is booked in for dio so ill keep you updated
Old 13-07-2013, 09:01 AM
uruk hai

Thank you buddy your very knowledgeable

11:30 today she is booked in for dio so ill keep you updated
I'll be honest as I can't take the credit for someone else's knowledge, my mate is a mechanic for the Police and for years he's worked on both the 1.8 and 1.6 diesel Focus'. As you can imagine Police cars end up with every fault or problem it's possible to suffer from and over time my mate's seen, diagnosed and fix it all, so he absolutely knows them inside out and back to front ! Which is why I bought and made an effort to learn and understand my TDCI Focus !

Interested to see how it goes ?

Last edited by uruk hai; 13-07-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 13-07-2013, 01:10 PM
RSBryden

Ok buddy all done, diagnosed anyways,
Good news is nothing major like feul pump or nething
Computer shows no code or no problems,

To further inspection it appears 1 of the injectors is blown, also the actuater itself is nackered it does move under load , its asif it has seized or somthing so that needs replacing!

All in all not to much to repair as long as injector comes out easily
Old 13-07-2013, 01:13 PM
geordiegooner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify, will it absolutely only rev to 3k (even in neutral ?) or will it rev freely to that point only then to struggle past it and crawl and I do mean crawl toward the red line

Yes mine will only rev to 3k its as though the cars running without the turbo as it will still crawl upto 80- finally sometimes on a long run it will go off and run perfectly then back in
Old 13-07-2013, 01:19 PM
RSBryden

Check your actuater buddy, that what went in mine and also shown no code
Old 13-07-2013, 08:23 PM
uruk hai

Ok buddy all done, diagnosed anyways,
Good news is nothing major like feul pump or nething
Computer shows no code or no problems,

To further inspection it appears 1 of the injectors is blown, also the actuater itself is nackered it does move under load , its asif it has seized or somthing so that needs replacing!

All in all not to much to repair as long as injector comes out easily
Glad to hear it's nothing "too" serious ! The actuators can stick, some times they free up and some times they don't ? But without it operating correctly the car could be seriously down on power, so that and a duff injector could together cause all kinds of trouble so lets hope those things solve your issue ?

Originally Posted by geordiegooner
Yes mine will only rev to 3k its as though the cars running without the turbo as it will still crawl upto 80- finally sometimes on a long run it will go off and run perfectly then back in
It's hard to say with any degree of certainty but it does "sound" a bit like the problem I had, the actuator control solenoids use vacuum pressure so the first thing I would do is take the engine cover off and make a very thorough check of all the visible vac lines. A vacuum leek could cause the same symptoms as a failed/failing control solenoid so just make sure it's not a ten pound fix before you start looking at more costly components. Are you familiar with what you'll find under the engine cover ?
Old 13-07-2013, 08:27 PM
uruk hai

Check your actuater buddy, that what went in mine and also shown no code
The actuator, EGR valve control solenoid or the Turbo actuator control solenoid could potentially fail on their own or together without triggering an engine management light.
Old 13-07-2013, 09:37 PM
RSBryden

Originally Posted by uruk hai
Glad to hear it's nothing "too" serious ! The actuators can stick, some times they free up and some times they don't ? But without it operating correctly the car could be seriously down on power, so that and a duff injector could together cause all kinds of trouble so lets hope those things solve your issue ?

It's hard to say with any degree of certainty but it does "sound" a bit like the problem I had, the actuator control solenoids use vacuum pressure so the first thing I would do is take the engine cover off and make a very thorough check of all the visible vac lines. A vacuum leek could cause the same symptoms as a failed/failing control solenoid so just make sure it's not a ten pound fix before you start looking at more costly components. Are you familiar with what you'll find under the engine cover ?
I have just spend Ł190 yesterday on replacing the pipes from both sides of intercooler, inlet and outlet, 1 was a metal pipe and the other was upgraded from plastic to silicone! I bought these from fords!
I will have another look under the bonnet tomorow as I am quite familiar with what I'm looking at, actuater won't budge, a screw driver helps it move slightly!
Is it possible to lube this actuater or best to replace also if I replace will it need mapping !
Old 13-07-2013, 10:19 PM
uruk hai

You may be able to free it up but you won't know until you try it, if you google or put something like "TDCI stuck actuator" into YouTube you'll get a raft of clips and articles on the subject.