Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

loss of engine power on 2004 1.8 tdci focus

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 AM
will27
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of engine power on 2004 1.8 tdci focus

Lack of boost on my 2004 1.8 TDCI ford focus? (mk2)
Hi my focus has developed a problem with its engine power. My wife was driving long distance with no problems while i was in Afghanistan i returned to the UK to this problem my car starts OK with no problems it drives fine with the exception of no power i can hear the turbo spinning so i don't think its the turbo i noticed the inter-cooler pipes had small tears in them so replaced them both. i have changed the fuel filter yesterday i have also put fuel treatment though the system however still no change.there was NO bangs,clunks noises or smoke also no warning lights on the dash i want to try all things possible at home before referring it to a garage as it sounds very expensive but in the same sense can be something small.

many thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 AM
will27
Virgin

its done 125k aswell
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Rowe
Skint

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Might be worth getting the fault codes read although i doubt that there will be any as the engine management light hasn't come on.

when my old 1.8 tdci lost power, the turbo died. But i don't think this is your problem as mine would hardly get over 2000 revs, and would only barely do 30mph.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 AM
will27
Virgin

mine drives ok just loss of power i have to feather the accelerator just to get a slight response from the engine takes forever and a day to get up to speed
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 AM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some fault codes do get logged without bringing the EML on, I had a problem that caused a loss of power.

Here's a link to the thread. (Mine is post 20)

https://passionford.com/forum/ford-f...i-problem.html

The other thing that can cause this sort of problem could be the fuel metering valve.

Good luck.

Last edited by uruk hai; 01-07-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 16-10-2013, 10:33 AM
robinnash
Virgin

Angry 54 plate 1.8 TDCI

I have had similar problems this is my first time posting on the forum due to having got to the pulling hair out stage. Bought this model about a year ago, first drive out coil light comes on then engine light goes into limp mode as we found out latter. Injectors were sent off to Ipswich for testing came back as OK they were refitted. Worked for a while until the wife was driving on the A14 when happens again. Take the car to EMG in Bury St Edmunds. They do the diagnostic thing, a guy comes out says, yeah it's the injectors mate that will be £1200 please, I say yeah bye. Do a bit of research. Take the injectors out myself and send the to a place in Brum. The clean and complete refurb for £500. I replace and the car is sweet, runs like a dream until I take it for a spin and floor it at which point it does exactly the same thing. So It's not the injectors is it EMG £1200 ha. We use the car for a while on the instruction if you don't floor it it wont happen which works for a quite a while. Last week same thing as before happens except when come to start it it wont start. This was a period of very heavy wet conditions. Green flag man can't solve it but gets it started with spraying into the manifold.
I start an investigation with my local garage man who is also perplexed. Take the fuel filter out, the fuel that comes out looks like Kerosene same viscosity as my heating oil and deep amber in colour. We drain the tank and re-fit the fuel filter find that the glow plugs are all faulty and covered in oil and replace all of them. Now we can start the car but it is not happy lots of clonking and misfiring after running for about ten minutes it’s starts to calm down. Whilst I appreciate the bad fuel will have contaminated the injectors again, it obviously isn’t the whole story. Extra information, there is black oil deposit in the turbo hoses and we are losing some oil now which we weren’t before. Also the engine had a Dragon chip box attached which I have since removed. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Oh the old glow plugs were black.

Last edited by robinnash; 16-10-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Addition