Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Looking to buy a TDCI

Search this Thread

Old 24-03-2013, 10:58 PM
-neil-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a TDCI

Just sold the mrs's KA as need a bigger car for a baby on the way.
Alot of people have suggested a Focus TDCI.
Got about £1800 to spend.
I know nothing about Focus's.

What engine size would be better, do they even do different sizes in TDCI?
What mk or year?
Anything to look out for when buying one?

Or even are there any petrol focus's I could consider?

Thanks for your help guys, greatly apprecaited.

Neil

Last edited by Mark 3D; 25-03-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 25-03-2013, 08:47 AM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For £1800 I would think you'll be looking at a late Mk1, I would be looking at something around 03 - 54 plate. At that age the TDCI will be the 1.8 common rail diesel, there are loads of things to check for but a few are peculiar to that model.

Anything over 8 years old or with more than 80k on it I would want to see the cambelt and tensioner changed, if it hasn't been then budget for that ! Has it had a full clutch kit and DMF, if so when and if not you may be in for a large bill if you have to get it done yourself.

As well as everything electric check the windows work properly and without struggling, they can be known for electric window motors and mechanisms. When you start it it should turn over with real snap and in all but the coldest weather it should start after only a few turns.

Check for rust, under the door mirrors where they meet the door skin, check the back doors, the sills and the hatch. Apart from that I would carry out all the checks you would on any used car you might be buying and if you don't feel confident then try to take someone who knows what they're looking at. Like any diesel of that age the Focus does have a few issues but if you get the right one thats been well looked after you will have a good honest car, the old 1.8 TDCI's are good solid engines and they don't have some of the issues that now seem to be troubleing the newer engine types.
Old 25-03-2013, 08:51 AM
-neil-

Brill thank you uruk, any specific models to look out for? Seen various BHP ones, didn't if the 1.8 just came in one BHP. I've brought cars before so know the basic checks, ill take note of the other points you mentioned.
Old 25-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Fordmad!
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Id go with a mk1 focus petrol 1.6 Buelltproof and not bad mpg!
Old 25-03-2013, 09:13 AM
uruk hai

The TDCI's are either 100 or 115 bhp but I would buy on condition as oppose to bhp ! Obviously the Ghia's will be the best although I would be happy with a well specked Zetec but you will get a better deal on cars without the gadgets ! It depends what you want but if you keep it outside I would want one with the heated front screen, apart from that I wouldn't worry, most will have air con and front electric windows !

The only other thing I've just thought of is check that the heater works on all 4 speeds and check the front foot wells for damp, if the pollen filter cover is leaking it may let water in ! It's not the end of the world but if the cars been well looked after the pollen filter should be changed regularly and have no leaks.
Old 25-03-2013, 09:22 AM
uruk hai

Originally Posted by Fordmad!
Id go with a mk1 focus petrol 1.6 Buelltproof and not bad mpg!
To be honest if the OP had said petrol I would be recommending the 1.8, I found the 1.6 a bit gutless with econemy being scarcely if any better than the 1.8 ! My mate's been working on these for well over 10 years and his opinion is that on balance the 1.8's seem to go better, last better and present less problems than the smaller petrol models although I appreciate its all down to personal choice !
Old 25-03-2013, 09:33 AM
london_chris

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a focus 1.8tdci sport, imperial blue, is a st170 but diesel basically, i agree totally with uruk, cambelt and tensioner must be done by 80k, they are pretty strong engines and make for cheap mpg.
i'd be selling mine soon, but unfortunately out of your price range as the ltd edition sport is worth a little more.
try a hunt on auto trader but do not even contemplate a newewr 1.6 tdci engine as they are less reliable in my experience.
Old 25-03-2013, 09:51 AM
-neil-

Originally Posted by uruk hai
To be honest if the OP had said petrol I would be recommending the 1.8, I found the 1.6 a bit gutless with econemy being scarcely if any better than the 1.8 ! My mate's been working on these for well over 10 years and his opinion is that on balance the 1.8's seem to go better, last better and present less problems than the smaller petrol models although I appreciate its all down to personal choice !
Well tbh I only had thought of diesels for the fuel economy, are there any petrol ones that are good on fuel and within my price range worth concidering?

Last edited by -neil-; 25-03-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 25-03-2013, 09:55 AM
uruk hai

There will be petrols within your price range but the econemy won't even be close to that of the diesel unless you buy a shockingly slow and under power 1.4, the tax is also far cheaper with a diesel !
Old 25-03-2013, 09:56 AM
-neil-

Ah think you've answered my question there thank you
Old 25-03-2013, 10:29 AM
uruk hai

Originally Posted by london_chris
i have a focus 1.8tdci sport, imperial blue, is a st170 but diesel basically, i agree totally with uruk, cambelt and tensioner must be done by 80k, they are pretty strong engines and make for cheap mpg.
i'd be selling mine soon, but unfortunately out of your price range as the ltd edition sport is worth a little more.
try a hunt on auto trader but do not even contemplate a newewr 1.6 tdci engine as they are less reliable in my experience.
Hello mate, you've got good taste in cars and colours

Here's mine

The almost obligatory beading shot !

I agree with the comment about the newer TDCI's, the 1.6's do seem to be prone to turbo failure, apparantly its due to oil starvation that results from a blocked or restriscted pipe ?

Last edited by uruk hai; 25-03-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 25-03-2013, 10:45 AM
uruk hai

This is what you should expect to see under the bonnet of a TDCI (may not be quite as clean as mine but you get the idea !)

Old 25-03-2013, 05:11 PM
-neil-

Wow that's alot of plastic! Brill think ill try and look at some this week.

What would be advisable to check in the engine bay?
Old 25-03-2013, 06:22 PM
uruk hai

All you can do is check as much as you can, if you take a torch that'll allow you to look into all the nooks and crannies for any leaks or damage of any kind. Look to see if any of the bolts or screws look as if they've got excessive wear from being constantly loosened and tightened, may not be a problem but if you point this out you should receive a suitable explanation from the seller. I would expect the under tray to still be there on the best and well cared for cars, a lot of people will tell you to throw them away but they help keep the engine and bay clean and tidy and also offers a degree of protection form the elements.

Check the panel gaps and to see if any of the sealer has been disturbed as a result of accident damage repairs, again it won't be the end of the world and a lot of cars of this age will have had a repair of some description at some point in its life. The important thing here is how good is the repair, if its been done well by good professionals you may not even notice it but if it stands out and doesn't look good then consider walking away, it may not seem much but it may have a huge effect on the protection offered by the car if involved in a bad accident !

Check for uneven tyre wear both front and rear, the rear suspension on a Focus is a very good set up but not simple and if knocked out of line it can be hard to rectify properly.

In short just check, check and check again, if you don't have a good feeling about a car don't ignore it. Ask as many questions as you feel you have to and if someone can't give an answer or attempts to avoid it don't be afraid to press the issue, IMO if the car is honest the owner should be to !

Above all don't be rushed, Focus's are very popular cars so there are plenty out there to look at and among them will be one that gives you what you want and can expect from your budget and needs.

Good luck, if there's anything I've missed or any other questions just ask and don't be put off by the problems they"can" suffer from, they are for the most part, good honest and solid cars.

I've had mine for just over 4 years, I was only going to keep it for at the most 3 but I just can't part with it !

Last edited by uruk hai; 25-03-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 25-03-2013, 09:12 PM
-neil-

Brilliant thank you very helpful!
Old 25-03-2013, 10:53 PM
-neil-

What do you think to these three?...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/2?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

Thanks

Last edited by -neil-; 25-03-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 PM
uruk hai

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to the thread !

There's only the middle one left for sale and it looks like a tidy car but the only way to tell is to go and have a good look at one ?

If that is a TDDI it is a bit different from the TDCI, it's the older style of Diesel engine and although not as refined or powerful as the newer models they are good motors if looked after. They don't suffer as many problems as the newer common rail diesels but can be known for fuel pump failure so on one of that age and mileage ask if its had one !