Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

margaret

Search this Thread

Old 27-11-2012, 10:32 PM
maggie
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default margaret

Got a 1.8 ford focus tdci diesel 2004.Always been a good starter but lately when turning ignition key to start engine the engine makes an awful shuddering,vibrating noise and continues so have to turn engine off.This seems to be intermittent though.Had to ford garage,no error codes apparently showed but they did a software update but no help unfortunately.Would be grateful for any advice if anyone else has had this problem and any idea what the possible cause might be.
Thanks.
Old 28-11-2012, 06:31 AM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

Originally Posted by maggie
Got a 1.8 ford focus tdci diesel 2004.Always been a good starter but lately when turning ignition key to start engine the engine makes an awful shuddering,vibrating noise and continues so have to turn engine off.This seems to be intermittent though.Had to ford garage,no error codes apparently showed but they did a software update but no help unfortunately.Would be grateful for any advice if anyone else has had this problem and any idea what the possible cause might be.
Thanks.

Is it the starter that's half fucked and not turning the engine over quick enough to fire up?or is it actually firing up with the vibration when the engine is running
Old 01-12-2012, 02:53 PM
maggie
Virgin

Thanks DSport,Very hard to explain what is happening.I turn the key,the engine fires,sometimes it starts fine but intermittently and without warning when i do the same thing there is an almighty shuddering,clunking,shaking sound when i turn the key and i have to turn ignition off to stop the noise or it woud just carry on making the noise but not start,it could do this for many attempts and then reluctantly the engine may start.Once engine running there is no problem.Another way to describe it would be to say it is a similar sound to when a diesel engine stalls,big clunking noise.Thanks for your reply and would love to hear any further advice.

Last edited by maggie; 01-12-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added further info
Old 01-12-2012, 03:36 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

Originally Posted by maggie
Thanks DSport,Very hard to explain what is happening.I turn the key,the engine fires,sometimes it starts fine but intermittently and without warning when i do the same thing there is an almighty shuddering,clunking,shaking sound when i turn the key and i have to turn ignition off to stop the noise or it woud just carry on making the noise but not start,it could do this for many attempts and then reluctantly the engine may start.Once engine running there is no problem.Another way to describe it would be to say it is a similar sound to when a diesel engine stalls,big clunking noise.Thanks for your reply and would love to hear any further advice.

I had something similar to that from my new shape mondeo diesel recently, it was the starter not turning over quick enough for the car to fire up, starter just got lazier and lazier and I changed it a few days ago and it's amazing how quick the new starter feels compared to the old one which felt so lazy and noisy
Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 PM
maggie
Virgin

Thanks very much for taking the time to offer your very helpful advice.I just wanted to have some idea of what might be going on because i'm going to have to take it to a garage and i hope not to be ripped off as i have already had a software update via the ford garage and that was no help at all so it makes me wary about garages....Thanks again...much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 PM
MrC
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you want an honest garage thats nearby, i suggest chorley street garage in bolton, very honest and you won't get ripped off
Old 01-12-2012, 09:06 PM
maggie
Virgin

Thanks MrC that is good to know.Appreciate your help.