Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus TDCI 1.6 turbo issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus TDCI 1.6 turbo issue

ok is it bull shit or not, people keep telling me if the turbo goes the whole engine needs changing? im looking at buying one with a blown turbo and doing it up to resell..

Andy
Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 PM
MikeyRobbo
PS3 - MikeyRobbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

9 times out of 10 yes, engine needs changing. The oil galleries, pick up pipe, turbo feed pipe filters etc get blocked by a carbon oily sludge and no matter how many times you flush the engine and clean parts you'll never completely rid it and it will eventually cause oil starvation at the turbo resulting in failure.

When buying turbos for these they always come new, and come with a information sheet with the check list of what to clean then go's on to say they have experienced a lot of failures after following this procedure, due to oil starvation and they DO NOT honour any warranties on these turbos.

Steer clear, not worth the grief.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Hagans
Virgin

The Ford Focus C max t.d.c.i suffers badly from turbo problems and has a serious oil circulation problem. Modern day diesel engines operate at much higher temperatures than older engines there for increasing the risk of oil clumps in small areas if poor quality oil is used, they also produce a lot of soot type gases which make there way into the oil via the piston rings in the engine. These gases are vented back into the engines induction system via the crankcase breathing system, the problem with this is the oil is constantly getting bombarded with these gases and lead to oil degradation. Dispersant additives in today's engine oils keep the individual soot particles from forming damaging clumps, excessive soot levels in the oil can quickly overwhelm the dispersant additives in lower quality engine oils and ultimately form what is commonly known as sludge. As the additives become depleted, the soot particles clump together, attach themselves to engine surfaces, and lead to reduced lubrication, combine this with poor servicing then you cause an oil circulation problem, this is the main cause of turbo failure on the Ford Focus T.D.C.I and Peugeot 1.6 H.D.I.
Unfortunately the Focus T.D.C.I and Peugeot 1.6 H.D.I suffer from turbo failure quite often so we recommend the following remedy.
Remove the oil sump from bottom of engine, wash it out and thoroughly dry it, replace the main oil pick up pipe which bolts onto the bottom of the oil pump, there is a wire mesh type filter inside the pick up pipe which can get blocked very easily, refit the oil sump. Replace the oil feed pipes and oil return pipes going to the turbo as they are probably blocked with oil clumps, remove all breather pipes and clean them out, replace all crankcase breather filters, they are normally on top of the rocker cover or on the air box. and refit all breather pipes. Remove and clean out the oil filter housing, refit it and fit a new oil filter, at this point you should fit the turbo, it can be a reconditioned turbo or a new turbo what ever your preference is. fill the engine with the required amount of oil and start it up at idle for 20 minutes checking for leaks while its running. Now take the car for a drive making the turbo work hard in each gear and drive it until the smoke clears.

Hope This Helps
http://www.hagansautos.co.uk/turborepairs.html
Old 28-02-2013, 12:16 PM
bigpaul
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i would stay well clear , we had 1 recently in our dealership, had new ford turbo fitted , all tsb's followed and even got new oil pump , lasted for approx 1600 miles!! warranty told us wouldn't stand over it and engine needed replaced . i wouldn't touch 1 if i was you.