Ford Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta Range of cars.

2001 Fiesta Flight electric failure

Old 01-11-2018, 09:41 PM
festa68
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Fiesta Flight electric failure

Hi all

My charging light came on the other day as I was driving home on a 90 mile journey and luckily, it made it home. Lazily, I did not investigate it the next day, but now find i the car is cutting out after about 15 minutes.

So, it starts fine, but the charging light stays on.
After about 10 mintues, I notice the display has dimmed a bit, then the speedo/fuel gauge dies and the seatbelt light comes on, before the car splutters to a halt.

This happened yesterday morning going to work and on turnng the key there was nothing, so I abandoned it and walked the rest of the way to work.
However, after discussing briefly with a mechanic friend (who doesn't like the electrical side) I decided to go back to it on the way home tonight before going down the alternator route.

Tonight, it started straight away and the clock had not lost time, but it died a mile before getting home. So after a few minutes I tried turning it over and got the starter clicking, but at least it was trying to go. I walked home for a cuppa, then returned and it started immediately to complete my journey. I left it ticking over for a few minutes, when it died again.

A quick google suggested there might be a problem with the display cluster causing this, rather than the alternator. I'll have to leave it until Sunday now, so hopefully you guys will have some suggestions for me

Last edited by festa68; 01-11-2018 at 09:43 PM.