Ford Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta Range of cars.

Hydraulic lifters and shims - help with shims!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:25 PM
grishenko45
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic lifters and shims - help with shims!

i'm replacing a few lifters in my mk5 fiesta 1.25 zetec. there's only one type of lifter to replace....but there are loads of different shims i could order depending on size...
i checked all the clearances before i took everything apart and they were within the fords cold tolerances. i didn't check them warm, but i used an automotive stethoscope to find which area the tapping was coming from. it was terrible - i had to stop driving it as it was too bad.

do i need to replace the shims too? if i need to order shims too, how do i work out what sizes to order?

thanks
Old 03-02-2015, 07:03 PM
JFB Tech
Not entirely sane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll have to start from scratch with the shims. If you were just setting the gaps, you would measure the gap, take the shim out, read off the thickness and then get the appropriate thickness of new shim. If the gap was too big, you'd fit a thicker shim, it it was too small, you'd fit a thinner shim. Best be would probably be to fit the new lifter with your thinnest existing shim and then measure the gap. You could then calculate the thickness required to go with the new lifter.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 AM
grishenko45
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFB Tech
You'll have to start from scratch with the shims. If you were just setting the gaps, you would measure the gap, take the shim out, read off the thickness and then get the appropriate thickness of new shim. If the gap was too big, you'd fit a thicker shim, it it was too small, you'd fit a thinner shim. Best be would probably be to fit the new lifter with your thinnest existing shim and then measure the gap. You could then calculate the thickness required to go with the new lifter.
so all lifters are slightly different sizes? what if i put the old shims back it then check the gap and it's fine?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:12 PM
JFB Tech
Not entirely sane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The lifters, cam lobes and valve stems all wear over time, that's why they need adjusting. You could find that some or all of them are OK or at the very least you may be able to re-use some in other positions. You'll just have to fit them and check. Hydraulic lifters don't normally have shims though as they self adjust. Only the solid lifters need shims.