Ford Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta Range of cars.

Fiesta 2003 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Seany Brown
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta 2003 Issues

Hey guys,

I've only recently passed my driving test and this is my first car- I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff, so please be patient with me- I'm really hoping someone with a bit of know-how could help me.

I have an auto Fiesta 2003 with around 66,000 miles on the clock.

1. The car often shudders quite violently on take off and makes big jerks at low speeds (like in traffic)- I assume this is part of the same problem? i have read that this is a fairly common issue with 03 fiestas, but there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what could be causing it.

2. Occasionally, when changing into (or from) reverse gear, the number of the gear shown on the dash just slowly flashes the gear you have tried to change it to- and doesn't actually put it into gear- I have to restart the car to stop the flashing and actually get it into gear.
My dad suggested that it could be that I have not had my foot on the brake when changing into or from R- and to be honest, since I have been aware that you have to do this, it has not done it once.

I am wondering if this is the case or if by using the break, am I just using a workaround for a bigger problem?

3. A few weeks back, I turned the car off when it was still in 1st gear by accident. i didn't notice until i came to turn it back on- I tried starting the car whilst it was in DRIVE, except it wouldn't start (which is normal). I put the car in NEUTRAL, and it still wouldn't start (which is not normal).

The car was acting as if it was still in gear- and kept displaying that it was in 1st gear, even though it was in neutral. There was no response from the dash when I changed the gear into N, R, or D- it was saying it was in 1st gear and therefore wouldn't start. After several minutes of totally loosing my s**t and leaving the car alone, it started by some miracle. This has not happened since, but I am terrified it will happen again. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened and what the chances of it happening again are?

4. Touch wood, no problems for a few weeks- apart from the shuddering discussed in point 1.
I came to turn the car on today, and the engine management light was on.

I'm starting to get pretty annoyed by these persistent problems- does anyone have any idea what could be causing the engine management problem? (i know its impossible to know, but i'm hoping that the symptoms I've described might help with a diagnosis.)

Cheers guys,

Sean