Ford Classics & Vintage Discuss all other Ford cars here, from the classics to Vintage to the Australian and American Fords!

sierra woes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Daniel Howard
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sierra woes.

My car is starting to get the better of me.

starts when cold, no problem, idles when cold no problem.

as soon as it gets warm it starts to struggle. first the idle goes out the window meaning i have to keep touching the throttle just to keep it running. then if it does stall, it will not re start no matter what i do.

i tried tweaking the idle speed screw which helped a little to keep it running, but it still randomly stalls and when it does i can't get it to run again till it is cold.

i thought i was ready for an MOT tomorrow, but now it looks like i've got to take the carb all off again, and maybe replace the rotor arm and dizzy cap?

EDIT: oh and, if you do get it start again when warm, it coughs and backfires a lot before finally coughing into life.

what the hell is wrong with this thing?

Last edited by Daniel Howard; 08-11-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 18-05-2016, 10:27 AM
rs007

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Howard
My car is starting to get the better of me.

starts when cold, no problem, idles when cold no problem.

as soon as it gets warm it starts to struggle. first the idle goes out the window meaning i have to keep touching the throttle just to keep it running. then if it does stall, it will not re start no matter what i do.

i tried tweaking the idle speed screw which helped a little to keep it running, but it still randomly stalls and when it does i can't get it to run again till it is cold.

i thought i was ready for an MOT tomorrow, but now it looks like i've got to take the carb all off again, and maybe replace the rotor arm and dizzy cap?

EDIT: oh and, if you do get it start again when warm, it coughs and backfires a lot before finally coughing into life.

what the hell is wrong with this thing?
I know this is an old thread, but what engine is fitted?

I had the same problem with an R2A sapphire years ago - the mechanical fuel pump actuator rod had worn down in length, and wasnt pumping effectively. At cold it would be OK, but once warm, it was a bitch -fuel pump rate was that slow that I guess it was evaporating when warn before enough could get in to start the engine.

Took pump off, milled the spacer down by the same amount of wear on the rod to bring it back in spec, and it never missed another beat again... I know you mention carb but it could still be same issue.

As said, I realise this is an old thread, but this info may be of use to some who are still running mech fuel pumps - check your actuator rod length against spec.