Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Carbohydrates and Weight Training.

Search this Thread

Old 22-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Carbohydrates and Weight Training.

Right folks, due to my unfixable poor back i am forced to go on a diet to lessen the strain as winter is being really bad to me and the cold is making some movements unbearable

I have chosen the Atkins again as for the last 10 years its worked fine for me, with good fast repeatable weight loss. Now, i dont want to have an argument about the diet (I assure you i know more about Benign dietary ketosis than 99% of you so bring it on if you really must ) so would like to know, when following a low carbohydrate diet, what effect will this have on weight training?

I used to do teh gym 2hrs per day 3 days per week on it in my younger days but was i suppose to naieve to bother wondering if i was doing any harm or should be doing things different...

Any advice?
Old 22-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Chrissy_bwoy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure paul knows the definitive answer but im sure a low carb diet will have an adverse effect on energy levels and muscle growth.

My bro and his mrs are on a slimming world diet with very good results hes lost nearly 2 stone in about 2 months, doesnt cut out the carbs altogether but allows you to eat certain foods on certain days and also allows 'treats' but only a specified amount a day
Old 23-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Energy levels definately not, the diet obtains its energy from stored fats, and done correctly* doesnt hinder your average lifestyle at all. But i wonder whats required more to build muscle, carbs or protein? Protein is something you eat a LOT of on the Atkins, so im wondering if its going to have the adverse effects many believe....

Most people dont realise just how the Atkins work and the sheer level of water and vitamins that MUST be consumed for it to work correctly. Thats why they go lighgtheaded, dizzy and feel bloody ill. A little knowledge is dangerous. LOL
Old 23-11-2005, 08:21 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Stu, if it works for you and you get on ok with it as a short term diet then go for it mate.

For anyone not sure how this works a Keto diet is to force your body to get into and stay in a glycogen deprived state which will force fat to be burned for energy.

In order to do this correctly you need to keep cards restricted to say 30g a day which will keep you in keto.

You will have micronutrient deficiencies on this diet so it is more important that you make sure you take a quality multi mineral vitamin to cover this.

Also keep an eye on your fibre intake to keep things flowing if you know what I mean.

Try and get some good fats in as well from Flax or an oil blend, both are available from most health food stores. I would go for a blend to make sure you get all the quality fats into your diet because there will be plenty of saturated fat if you are not careful.

On keto you should carb up for 2 days after say 5-6 days as you will loose muscle otherwise and this gives your matabolism a further kick. Energy levels are not a problem as Stu said and once you are in a state of keto you will adjust, It is effective if done correctly.

Good luck Stu and keep us posted.
Old 23-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Yamaha
Part of the Furniture

hi stu

I would suggest some carbs before a workout. Maybe some

Look here....................

http://low-carb.org/faq/#Q2_7

and here..........

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/8/10/125116/513 and here...........

http://www.trygve.com/mfwalylediet.html

Also Google Lyle McDonald. He has written a few books on the subject and appears very knowledgeable. There are many articles by him available on the net. Lots of scientific stuff which I know you will enjoy
Old 23-11-2005, 10:29 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Understand where you are coming from Val but as Stu will confirm too many carbs though and your body will not be in a true state of Keto which is what Stu is after.

There is low carb and keto two very different approaches, in keto the fat replaces the carbs so no need for them until carb up days, and too many carbs will blunt the result of keto.
Old 23-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Yamaha
Part of the Furniture

Yes but a few carbs prior to a heavy workout shouldnt be detrimental to ketosis. One can use keto sticks to check whether or not the carbs taken before exercise did indeed halt ketosis and adjust the amounts accordingly

As Stu is only just embarking on his low carb (although he has done it before) I think a few carbs will help him complete his workout as he adjusts. If you suffer from a lack of energy and general lethargy at the start (as most do) this will result of course in a less effective Low carb can be very grim during exercise initially

Old 23-11-2005, 01:40 PM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Strong "Coffee" anyone??

usually works.

Old 25-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Not for me it doesnt, i cant drink caffeine

So far, after 5 days, the Lifting seems to be going ok and i am managing to complete the same excersizes that i always have, and now walk 30mins morning and night religeously, and the weight has dropped a cool 10Lb

My back feels better allready.
So thats the diuretic effect strongly in place, just need to lose some real weight now. Only 2.5stone to go.
Old 25-11-2005, 08:25 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Stu
Old 25-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Come on STU

I'm not too hot on the whole Keto thing so can only offer limited advice.

If you do find you are getting too tired for your workouts STu, try cycling your carbs so you have zero/minimal carbs on 2 or 3 days and then take a few on the 4th day.

Becasue you are now training your body should be burning more fat anyway so the reliance on a specific diet such as the atkins should decrease.

Be wary that exercise will eat into your muscles reserves which are usually topped back up with carbs! THerefore restricting them could run you into the ground.

Try the cycling thing or just eat carbs when you start to feel yourself wain a bit.

I'm afraid it might be a suck it and see job, but ultimately you will know how you are feeling and if the body is tired then something is not quite right so don't be afraid to add more carbs if you are feeling tired or more protein if it takes longer to recover from aches from training.

Paul.
Old 26-11-2005, 04:00 PM
cossie si
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I take it you've already seen an osteopath.I suffered with my back for 18months.I came to the conclusion that sitting for long periods was making the muscles in my stomach and legs and lower back waste away.I joined a gym started doing light squats,with 20kg olympic bar until i got used to it.(sounds odd doing squats i know),then built up my stomach muscles using a cheap frame to do situps(slow build up).As you will already know squats help stomach to.Did this after visiting osteo,took a few months,but i dont suffer any pain any more.I only get any pain after sitting for long time ,over weeks of inactivety,normally after lifting/twisting or leaning over car engine etc .May not work for everybody but im convinced keeping a tight stomach muscle(even if fat over) keeps your back healthy.A couple of mates who goto gym tried the same and it worked for them.My old queen had some discs removed a few years ago,and at the time they would only recommend weeks of bed rest after.She still suffers with bad pain helped with what look like horse tranqs.They now get you up to physio within a few days.(will see you jan 7th when i drop my cossie off)
Old 26-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Hi,
Yes, done 2 years of professional Physio once a week along with various excersizes and nothing at al seems to help either my back or my knee. The Knee was damaged in a car crash and the back made worse, was very occasional pain until then.

Weight loss helps masses, nothing much else so far has done.
Old 26-11-2005, 04:19 PM
cossie si
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Like you say losing the weight may help,along with the exercise.Just try the squats though .You can use a broom handle ,go down slowly holding your stomach tight keeping your head upright focus on something above head height.Supose it depends on whats causing pain ,mine was trapped nerve type ,where i was getting odd pains all over my lower half.Really f...in depressed me,couldnt do anything,like having constant bad tooth ache.Hope you find a way to get rid or make better .
Old 26-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Yamaha
Part of the Furniture

I found that stiff legged dead lifts worked for me, works hams, buttocks and lower back, no squatting involved