Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Enough or not enough?

Search this Thread

Old 19-06-2012, 05:45 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enough or not enough?

I'm trying to loose a few pounds and get fitter and overall stronger, I don't want to be massive just make my arms suit my body lol!

This is what's happening so far. Every Sunday morning I'm doing an hour non stop at a mates gym, it's 20miles away but I'm comfortable with the people I'm there with and as its a mates my cousin and brother join me.

This weekend was the first and we did stretches, running, boxing, and all sorts of cardio work, then after a break went onto use a set of 6 weight machines. From legs, shoulders pecs arms the lot. We all tried really hard and have been hurting badly the last two days, I'm guessing this is a good thing!

Now my diet, I've cut out and fat food, pizzas, mcdonalds etc and this has been my diet for the first two days

Breakfast: scrambled egg and half a tin of tomatoes on two slices of toast and a cuppa tea.
Lunch- chicken and pasta ceasar salad, a bottle of water and an apple
Dinner - chicken breast, jacket potatoe with a couple spoon of beans and a touch of cheese.

Today
Breakfast- same as first day with an apple
Lunch - same as first day
Dinner- pilau rice, turkey and ceasar salad

Both days I've been drinking 2 litres of water too.

Is this good so far, any pointers would be good. My mate with the gym is really good and knows his stuff as he's a mma cage fighter and qualified to be personal instructor and teach but he's not always to hand so any help would be good

Cheers, Jim
Old 19-06-2012, 06:26 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

join a gym closer to home then you can go 3 or 4 times a week! dont worry about people there as there all doing the same as you
Old 19-06-2012, 06:36 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

To be honest I couldn't do what I did on Sunday four times a week it's taken my muscles two days to recover lol!

I was thinking maybe do a little jogging at nights, as paying for two gyms a week would be a bit too expensive.
Old 19-06-2012, 06:40 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

na i wouldent go mad every night lol i spend 30 to 40 mins in the gym ill do set nights iver back or arms or shoulders or chest i dont really do my legs other than squats but i do run alot too with my brother anywear from 5 to 10 miles once a week
Old 19-06-2012, 06:43 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

maybe some running would do me good then, I think a few hundred yard would do let alone 5-10miles
Old 19-06-2012, 06:45 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Running just takes time mate. Get some good trainers and just get out before long your doing a good few miles
Old 19-06-2012, 06:57 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Cheers bud I will have a good effort at getting out running/jogging!
Old 20-06-2012, 10:22 AM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started the gym weighing 18stone, and the first few sessions were killers.
Still over weight but two stone lighter means I am able to burn off about 800-1000 Cals per session and I am doing that 4-5 times per week depending on my work load.

I was mixing weight and cardio, but the results were not what i wanted so I am mainly concentrating on cardio, and any thing that will tighten the stomach area.

I would try and get to a gym closer to you which means you will be more interested in going as should hopefully only be a few miles down the road.
Old 20-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Jim, I tried running and couldn't get to grips with it.

Try cycling!
Old 20-06-2012, 12:29 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Originally Posted by L33 BYT
I started the gym weighing 18stone, and the first few sessions were killers.
Still over weight but two stone lighter means I am able to burn off about 800-1000 Cals per session and I am doing that 4-5 times per week depending on my work load.

I was mixing weight and cardio, but the results were not what i wanted so I am mainly concentrating on cardio, and any thing that will tighten the stomach area.

I would try and get to a gym closer to you which means you will be more interested in going as should hopefully only be a few miles down the road.
Cheers lee, I'm more than what you started at, if I could get 18 stone I'd be happy as fook I'll get the feel for the gym for a few weeks and see if I can get a near by one!

Originally Posted by Luca
Jim, I tried running and couldn't get to grips with it.

Try cycling!
Good idea mate! Being my size running can be harsh on the knees and ankles so bike could be the way to go!
Old 20-06-2012, 12:35 PM
E980VTJ
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

First time I joined a gym at 15 I was trying to do 50kg dumb bells for biceps caused they were all massive guys and did not want to start using the ladys pink dumb bells lol, then one big friendly guy come over and was chatting and said remember mate your here to train your body not your ego and for some reason I can walk into any gym now and after the first 10mins I can settle in,but I have gone from 15.7st good body to 16st with a small belly but my hieght help's me,need to get back into it
Old 20-06-2012, 12:39 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Originally Posted by E980VTJ
First time I joined a gym at 15 I was trying to do 50kg dumb bells for biceps caused they were all massive guys and did not want to start using the ladys pink dumb bells lol, then one big friendly guy come over and was chatting and said remember mate your here to train your body not your ego and for some reason I can walk into any gym now and after the first 10mins I can settle in,but I have gone from 15.7st good body to 16st with a small belly but my hieght help's me,need to get back into it
To be honest I'll prob settle right in too mate, I'm not shy or owt it's just getting in there and getting it done ain't it
Old 20-06-2012, 12:49 PM
E980VTJ
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

my advice would be if you join a new gym have a few schedule's,I was weight lifting so did a different body part a day and at first I would stand there looking at what to do next for say chest,then got a good workout schedule of the guy behind the counter with a 5 day work out,then made my own from online but every month or so do different workouts to shock your body as it get used to your routine
Old 20-06-2012, 02:38 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Cheers mate that's good info