Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Cardio advice please.

Old 18-10-2011, 11:05 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cardio advice please.

I'm currently doing around 90-100miles a week road riding, each week I am trying to push larger speeds and constant speeds on hills.

As I am of large build (16.9stone) I would like abit more stamina.

What would be a good way of doing this?

Are their any supplements or diet advice which would help?

Also one last thing.

Fluid consumption, what would be an advisable consumtion for a 30mile ride?

Reason I ask is I only drank 1 litre of water and never felt de-hydrated?
Old 20-10-2011, 12:53 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wirralphil
I'm currently doing around 90-100miles a week road riding, each week I am trying to push larger speeds and constant speeds on hills.

I'm building stamina and recovery rate at the moment. Hill runs on a treadmill and gym bikes are great for building stamina (on a treadmill is proving quite useful for me although I hate them) and also if you have access to a bike in a gym pounding away for 40 minutes on a hard resisitance level. On the bikes yesterday we did 20 minutes at level 15, 10 at level 20 and 10 at level 25. Then onto the treadmill for a 20minute incline run. Running 10-15KMH at anything form 6-15 % incline. I had my heartrate checked this morning at the doctors and I'm down to a resting rate of 41 BPM so it's working for me.

Ive also been told that cardio wieghts are great for stamina, but havent personally tried it.

I get by on creatine and a single protein shake a day these days so I don't build any mass. A good multi vitamin and a Berrocca every morning also.

Also one last thing.

Depends entirely on how much fluid you loose through sweat. As long as you replace what you are loosing there is no right or wrong answer, really. I'm quite a heavy sweater when I train so drink alot of fluid compaired to say my cousin who I train with who doesn't sweat as much but is possibly even slightly fitter.
Old 24-11-2011, 09:16 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice Muz, since then I have dropped to 16.1 stone. Been having a protein shake after the ride home from work, certainly been helping with the muscle pains. Once the new year deals are happening in the gyms I will start to go.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Hoogi
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wirralphil

Also one last thing.

If you are interested in cycling the easiest way to improve is to join a Bike Club.........and then move up to racing. Believe it or not 90-100 miles a weeks isn't a lot, especially if you're serious about your fitness.

Cross Training is the way to go, mix up the reps, work-outs, hit your body different ways so it's never gets in a rut - and always get quality rest.
Concentrate on the exercised you hate !

I guess you can hold quite a bit of water so it doesn't suprised me you only consumed a litre of water on a 30 miler. But then again, how hard were you cycling, what was the terrain and were you on the rivet ? What was the temp that day ?

Last edited by Hoogi; 03-12-2011 at 08:29 PM.