Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Started at the gym...

Old 05-11-2010, 12:57 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started at the gym...

Well..I started at the gym on Sunday, and have been going everyday, well last night i had the best workout so far and was really pleased with myself, until....

I woke up this morning, and am in agony with my right calf! I can barely walk It's so painful, and im gutted I can't get down the gym tonight to do cardio, what else can I do that wont require leg work as its far too painful
I don't want to miss a session either so thats not an option
Old 05-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

You can do that hand machine you talk about?

Benni.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

have a rest.a day off wont kill you.if you have pulled something then id take it easy.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stevenebm
have a rest.a day off wont kill you.if you have pulled something then id take it easy.
I took your advice, I just couldn't face it, it was sooo painful even to walk!

Woken up this morning and it's still like it, not so painful mind, so defo goin back today but will take it easy and if it starts to hurt im going to stop, dont want immobilise myself from the gym for longer!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Shouldn't train everyday anyway, muscles need time to repair, you'll find much better gains from doing say, one day on one day off.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by CrOwSoN15
Shouldn't train everyday anyway, muscles need time to repair, you'll find much better gains from doing say, one day on one day off.
Everyone is telling me different things!

I really enjoy going everyday, im pretty sure my calf muscle is because i dehydrated, as I know I didn't drink enough that day or at the gym at the time, I am a nightmare for drinking enough always have been!

When I've said to the instructors there that Im planning on going everyday they haven't said anything but positive about it, I suppose mainly because Im doing cardio daily maybe? I dont know, just pissed off I didn't get down there yesterday!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:03 PM
stevenebm
post whore

cardio every day is fine if you are physically ok to do it.only need some rest days if your trying to build muscle which i doubt you want.if its sheer weight loss then get to the gym in the morning before you havent had anything to eat.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:36 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cardio every day is fine if you are physically ok to do it.only need some rest days if your trying to build muscle which i doubt you want.if its sheer weight loss then get to the gym in the morning before you havent had anything to eat.
Im going everyday, for weight loss, the hours i work prevent me from going in the morning, so im having to go from work in the evenings!

I have been down to the gym today, and got on ok, my calf seems to be ok, i can still feel light twinging in the muscle but at least i can walk today lol
Old 06-11-2010, 11:12 PM
dandannydandan
Part of the Furniture

Honestly, going to the gym everyday is BAD. I've been an avid gym user for a few years now and like to think I know what I'm talking about. What you're doing is called over training. Over training is a recognised illness believe it or not and what you are suffering appears to be one of the symptons. Over training leaves you very susceptable to injury. My advice would be to miss the gym entirely until the leg is healed and then a couple of extra days to boot. Then ease yourself back into the gym maybe 3 or 4 times a week to start with (especialy seeing as you're a newbie). Just some freindly advice pal. I could talk gym all nightg lol.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:04 AM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dandannydandan
Honestly, going to the gym everyday is BAD. I've been an avid gym user for a few years now and like to think I know what I'm talking about. What you're doing is called over training. Over training is a recognised illness believe it or not and what you are suffering appears to be one of the symptons. Over training leaves you very susceptable to injury. My advice would be to miss the gym entirely until the leg is healed and then a couple of extra days to boot. Then ease yourself back into the gym maybe 3 or 4 times a week to start with (especialy seeing as you're a newbie). Just some freindly advice pal. I could talk gym all nightg lol.
exercise everyday is bad for you?
cardio exercise doesnt need rest periods unless your fatigued,she has an injury not fatigue.i agree she should tone it down and work her way up when her fitness starts improving but exercising everyday,whether it be walking,running or marathon sex sessions is in no way bad for you.weight training everyday is bad for you as you need rest for your muscles to recover/grow but cardio's completely different.

caz see my above answer for exercise you can do with your injury lol
other option is to do some toning exercises,concentrating on core work and upper body,its not just the leg muscles that burn fat.dont think oh im injured i cant do nothing cos theres loads of stuff to keep you active without using legs

Last edited by JamboRS; 07-11-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:01 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for both of your replies!

My calf is absolutely fine, no twinging or anything, I honestly think its because I didn't drink enough and dehydrated, I made sure yesterday that I drank plenty, Im heading back down the gym shortly!

I asked for some advice regarding it yesterday, and was shown exactly what stretches i should be doing before and after too, as hadn't been advised on ANYTHING that i should or shouldn't be doing etc, so now im in the know!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:05 PM
dandannydandan
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by JamboRS
exercise everyday is bad for you?
cardio exercise doesnt need rest periods unless your fatigued,she has an injury not fatigue.i agree she should tone it down and work her way up when her fitness starts improving but exercising everyday,whether it be walking,running or marathon sex sessions is in no way bad for you.weight training everyday is bad for you as you need rest for your muscles to recover/grow but cardio's completely different.

caz see my above answer for exercise you can do with your injury lol
other option is to do some toning exercises,concentrating on core work and upper body,its not just the leg muscles that burn fat.dont think oh im injured i cant do nothing cos theres loads of stuff to keep you active without using legs
A little cardio everyday isn't bad but smashin hard cardio sessions in the gym everyday IS. Doing cardio breaks down the muscle tissue and requires muscular recovery similar to weight training. It's commen sense if nothing else. Guy's, I'm a newbie to this site but I'm no stranger to fitness. I've been training seriously for a few years but my job over the last 10 years insists that I have inforced regular fitness sessions. Training is my first love, I will shortly be aquiring a personal trainer qualification. Sorry if I sound like I've got the hump, I haven't, I just don't like people recieving bad advice. You can get quite ill and recieve some irreversable injuries. You only get one body, you gotta love it.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Dont confuse training to build muscles with training to lose weight.

From a weight loss perspective (what girls tend to be interested in) moderate exercise every day is a good thing, as it keeps your metabolic rate up.

From a training for big muscles point of view though, recovery time is absolutely vital like you say.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:24 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chip

From a weight loss perspective (what girls tend to be interested in) moderate exercise every day is a good thing, as it keeps your metabolic rate up.

From a training for big muscles point of view though, recovery time is absolutely vital like you say.
Nail and Head Chip!!

Im going to the gym for weight loss, What I am doing at the gym is cardio to raise my heart rate and get some excerice which I can not do at work as I sit at a desk for anything between 9-12 hours a day, so getting to the gym after that shift is what I need to do!

Im really enjoying going too, I used to go 3/4 years ago but stopped, I was no where near into it as I am now, Even the thought that I have been 6 days out of 7 im amazed at and extremely proud of myself for finally getting the motivation to try and prove the doctors wrong when they say the females in my family wont lose weight naturally, and only through surgery! I am going to prove it can be done
Old 07-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Before pics are needed! If you're a proper chubber it might be best to keep some weight on and just build the muscle, nowt worse than loose skin! Ewwwwwwwww!!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:59 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

A little cardio everyday isn't bad but smashin hard cardio sessions in the gym everyday IS. Doing cardio breaks down the muscle tissue and requires muscular recovery similar to weight training. It's commen sense if nothing else. Guy's, I'm a newbie to this site but I'm no stranger to fitness. I've been training seriously for a few years but my job over the last 10 years insists that I have inforced regular fitness sessions. Training is my first love, I will shortly be aquiring a personal trainer qualification. Sorry if I sound like I've got the hump, I haven't, I just don't like people recieving bad advice. You can get quite ill and recieve some irreversable injuries. You only get one body, you gotta love it.
no offence mate,its not hard the get a PT qualification,most of the PT's i know at gyms are clueless and your not inspiring me to change my opinion.exercise everyday is not harmful in anyway unless your suffereing fatigue or an injury which restricts you doing particular exercise.im constantly on my feet at work running around up downstairs etc,you saying i should ask for time off every week because thats bad for me,ill put that to my boss tomorrow,a guy thats nearly a PT says its not healthy for me all this exercise and that i have an illness
the heart muscle is the most important muscle in the body and needs regualar exercise to function,not like other muscles in the body which need time to repair.you've obviously had misguided info from your teacher/lecturer.athletes train everyday,bodybuilders cutting for a comp train everyday,most sportsmen train everyday and only time they rest is when theyve have done there comp and winding down or there injured.if she was weight training AND cardio then id advice taking rest in between to let the muscles repair and get the nutrients it needs to grow,but as for straight cardio,the more the better

exactly mate,whether it be out a walk,kicking a football,swimming or even a few hours on the wii fit,every extra bit of exercise can only be a good thing.dont think my girlfriend would be too happy me saying sorry your not getting pumped tonight im on a rest day

Originally Posted by **caz**
Nail and Head Chip!!

Im going to the gym for weight loss, What I am doing at the gym is cardio to raise my heart rate and get some excerice which I can not do at work as I sit at a desk for anything between 9-12 hours a day, so getting to the gym after that shift is what I need to do!

Im really enjoying going too, I used to go 3/4 years ago but stopped, I was no where near into it as I am now, Even the thought that I have been 6 days out of 7 im amazed at and extremely proud of myself for finally getting the motivation to try and prove the doctors wrong when they say the females in my family wont lose weight naturally, and only through surgery! I am going to prove it can be done
every change counts,even if you cant get to the gym things like walking to and from work or use stairs instead of lifts,even doing housework would be seen as staying active,as chip says keeps the metabolic rate up and stops your frame of mind going into rest mode.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 PM
dandannydandan
Part of the Furniture

Well this is getting like a you tube arguement. No point. I think agreeing to disagree is the best option.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Well this is getting like a you tube arguement. No point. I think agreeing to disagree is the best option.
its not an argument mate,your wrong and your the only person in the world that says exercise every day is bad for you and your not even qualified to give that advice.i asked 3 PT's today in my gym is cardio bad to do everyday.one said what idiot told you that.
exercise is good for the heart and lungs and the more you can do the better,if your fit enough.that said diet has to be spot on.but from a losing weight point of view,the more cardio you do the more cals you burn the fitter you get,which in turn leads to you needing to do more to get fitter.your body will tell you when its time to take rest
Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Chip

I suspect Caz's workout is probably pretty tame compared to what some of you guys are used to as well.
Like she has just mentioned she is basically just trying to get enough exercise so that she gets what a normal person would have in years gone by before we all had office jobs etc.

Good on you Caz, really hope it works out for you

Just keep it in moderation and try and make a lifestyle change, last year I went and lost 1.5 stone in 6 weeks on a bit of a mission but because I then went back to my identical lifestyle and food etc Im not back EXACTLY the same weight (to the pound!) as I was before I did that.

So to keep it off, obviously you need to keep the work up, so make sure its something sustainable.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:19 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Originally Posted by JamboRS
its not an argument mate,your wrong and your the only person in the world that says exercise every day is bad for you and your not even qualified to give that advice.i asked 3 PT's today in my gym is cardio bad to do everyday.one said what idiot told you that.
exercise is good for the heart and lungs and the more you can do the better,if your fit enough.that said diet has to be spot on.but from a losing weight point of view,the more cardio you do the more cals you burn the fitter you get,which in turn leads to you needing to do more to get fitter.your body will tell you when its time to take rest
i couldnt be arsed arguing with him but thank god you said that.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 PM
dandannydandan
Part of the Furniture

I assumed she was doing hard cardio. It seems that was an incorrect assumption. If it's moderate cardio then I yield. I get too caught up with body building and assume thats what everyones goals are.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Chip

I assumed she was doing hard cardio. It seems that was an incorrect assumption. If it's moderate cardio then I yield. I get too caught up with body building and assume thats what everyones goals are.
When I read your reply, the first thing I thought was "thats spot on advice for a body builder" so I thought that might be the case
Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I suspect Caz's workout is probably pretty tame compared to what some of you guys are used to as well.
Like she has just mentioned she is basically just trying to get enough exercise so that she gets what a normal person would have in years gone by before we all had office jobs etc.

Good on you Caz, really hope it works out for you

Just keep it in moderation and try and make a lifestyle change, last year I went and lost 1.5 stone in 6 weeks on a bit of a mission but because I then went back to my identical lifestyle and food etc Im not back EXACTLY the same weight (to the pound!) as I was before I did that.

So to keep it off, obviously you need to keep the work up, so make sure its something sustainable.
Thanks Chip

My workout at the moment is purely cardio, My resting heart rate was measured and it was worked out that I should be getting my heart rate to 141, so that is what Im doing! On the machines I enter my weight, my age and the heart rate that I need to be reaching, and the machine makes sure that I keep to that heart rate (within reason) This is a set up to burn fat, so yes no where near what people who are building muscle are doing! Tonight I burnt 613 calories, Im happy with that!

As I have said I intend to go everyday, and I am making it a way of life now, there is no going back now! I have missed one day since last sunday when I joined, and missing that one day I felt terrible for it, and was so glad to get back on the saturday!

I am also eating healthily, the only thing I am finding hard is trying to get the intake of calories which i've been told should be about 1200-1400, I can't eat that much in any normal day!! But I am following what I remember of the slimming world diet so that's all good!

Last edited by **caz**; 08-11-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:25 PM
stevenebm
post whore

you cant eat 1200 calsthe cardio you are doing is spot on tho.its what i do to lose body fat 120-140 bpm for 30 minutes.works a treat for me so far.hope it works for you aswell
Old 09-11-2010, 04:31 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you cant eat 1200 calsthe cardio you are doing is spot on tho.its what i do to lose body fat 120-140 bpm for 30 minutes.works a treat for me so far.hope it works for you aswell
Lol no! When i made the decision to do this, i calorie counted the first day i consumed 588 calories, the second day was 634 calories, i had got out of making sure i ate meals etc and would eat if and when i was hungry, i am now making sure i have them 3 meals a day and fruit in between, ive never eaten so much lol
Old 09-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Chip

If you eat 600 calories a day, you'll lose weight wether you do any cardio or not! But not a good way to do so.

You'll burn far more than that just keeping your body up to temperature and moving about etc.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:27 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you eat 600 calories a day, you'll lose weight wether you do any cardio or not! But not a good way to do so.

You'll burn far more than that just keeping your body up to temperature and moving about etc.
Unfortunately Chip that's not the case! I've never been a big eater, but as I've said before im unfortunate to fall into the genetic trap Im really hoping to prove the doctors wrong!

I have managed to increase my calorie intake, and getting to grips with what foods = what calories etc ... im going to do this

I've lost 4 pounds so far
Old 09-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Chip

600 calories is barely above starvation, there is no way you can eat that little for a period of time and not lose weight, I dont care what your genetics are its just basic pyhsics you would be putting in less energy than you are putting out just in heat and basic movement etc.

You've made a mistake there.

Anyway, getting away from that, congrats on the 4lbs, I hope you can keep it up.
More exercise is a far healthier way to lose weight than less food.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:06 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

600 calories is barely above starvation, there is no way you can eat that little for a period of time and not lose weight, I dont care what your genetics are its just basic pyhsics you would be putting in less energy than you are putting out just in heat and basic movement etc.

You've made a mistake there.

Anyway, getting away from that, congrats on the 4lbs, I hope you can keep it up.
More exercise is a far healthier way to lose weight than less food.
Im not going to argue with you Chip, I know that no matter how little I eat, it makes no difference! Been there done that when I was a teenager, Lived on 1 meal (or what I would eat of it) and a can of coke, didn't have any effect at all, I went on for months like it and no one knew because it made no difference!! That is how i can say it as its fact for me!

Thanks for the positive comments tho, all helps with the motivation
Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Am I ok to be doing longer?

Last night and tonight I've done 75 minutes, but Ive really enjoyed it and have burnt 613 cals last night, and 682 tonight...If Im feeling ok after this then Im presuming that Im ok to carry on?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Before pics?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 PM
stevenebm
post whore

how the hell can you enjoy that.25 minutes on a cross trainer and im suicidal.i think coldo used to do 2 hours cardio.im not sure if i read it wrong tho.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

how the hell can you enjoy that.25 minutes on a cross trainer and im suicidal.i think coldo used to do 2 hours cardio.im not sure if i read it wrong tho.
lol the cross trainer keeps me going cos of the calories it burns!! lol depends on what type of day im having as to how i get on with it!

first day i tried it i couldn't manage 4 minutes! I was fooked!!! the next night i said to myself im going to get to 10 minutes, which i did, the next night i did 35 minutes on it, and now i tend to do 20 minutes average, in them 20 minutes i burn 230 calories average!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

The cross trainer is good, but running is far better in my experience.

I went from being very sporty, to getting an office job where I had a poor diet and NO exercise.

Its worth having a proper training plan and a goal to aim towards as far as exercise is concerned.

I now run three times a week, and am training really hard. Have lost loads of weight, but am significantly fitter, and have a good goal.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Up to 2 hours aye! Usually 90mins or so, quite often all of it was on the treadmill too. Stick some good music on and walk away. Treadmill set at a fairly steep incline and at a decent pace, 6-7kph.

Nowadays cardio is more like 2 hours a week if i'm lucky Wee 4 week cardio blast up to crimbo though, then might try an 8-10 week cut from jan 2nd.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:07 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Coldo
Up to 2 hours aye! Usually 90mins or so, quite often all of it was on the treadmill too. Stick some good music on and walk away. Treadmill set at a fairly steep incline and at a decent pace, 6-7kph.

Nowadays cardio is more like 2 hours a week if i'm lucky Wee 4 week cardio blast up to crimbo though, then might try an 8-10 week cut from jan 2nd.
Yeah I like the treadmill! Last night and night before found I can burn 332 calories in 30 mins on it, speed 5.0 incline 4.5! Even better whilst watching eastenders n corrie!!!! Can just keep going and going....Im upping the speed etc as i go but only been going a week n half so Im happy with that!
Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well happy Stepped on the scales this morning, Ive lost 6 pounds now, and now into the next stone range

sorry just had to share that, as Im proud of myself for it, and for starting to prove the doctors wrong!!!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I did tell you ages ago they was wrong. You burn off more than you eat and the results will show, as you can see.

Benni. .
Old 11-11-2010, 12:38 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Benni
I did tell you ages ago they was wrong. You burn off more than you eat and the results will show, as you can see.

Benni. .
If it hadn't been for seeing my mum go through what she did, and no matter what diet or exercise she did, making NO difference at all, and from my previous as a teenager then i wouldn't have believed it myself, but I have seen it, and the doctors words "you will only lose weight and keep it off by surgery" all adds up, and all the females in my grandads(my mums) side of the family are overweight, ah well Im proving them wrong
Old 11-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Well any doctor who told you that should be struck off. I'm no expert, but I can assure you that's bullshit. My cousin is a fine example of someone trying to lose weight. She has a shitty cereal for breakfast, full of sugar, and then starves herself until tea time, and then has a weight watchers meal and repeats the next day. She loses the weight and then goes back to her normal eating habbits and it comes back and she has the cheek to say 'I tried dieting, it doesn't work'.

Benni.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Started at the gym...